Coral Vue Hydros

Constructive peer reviews for an aquascape

hey

michaelrzachmann

I couldn't agree more Michael, my first couple of tanks definitely were a LOT different. Back in 08' in high school I started with a 29 biocube, 8 months later I dove into a 75 gallon and then eventually sold it a year later for college but I ALWAYS had the same aquascape. I have definitely been inspired on here by individuals like 4x5 and others for the more open concept aquascapes. I really enjoy the way you added more space with the rock rearrangement, just be careful or that hammer coral will take over! lol

1st:

100_2215.jpg

2nd:

100_0144.jpg

3rd:

0715001735a.jpg

4th:

IMG_2800_zpsc30e3efa.jpg

and then now you can see it's essentially just expended on that 4th one in a larger tank.

Thanks! its an octospawn though and im going to leave it alone unless it starts stinging something else lol. That fourth scape is nice and i realllly like the 3rd

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, I am not really liking how my new 'scape is coming out. Excuse the crappy picture. my UV sunglasses were a bit scuffed up and effected my photo quality. Any ideas on how I can make this scape not suck? There are lots of caves and hiding spaces for the dart fish and blenny, but it does not seem to translate to photo. Am I missing something too draw the eye to a high spot? too much rock? Thoughts ideas? The weekend is coming up. :)

DSCN2847_zpsywtpmami.jpg

Ugh, I am not really liking how my new 'scape is coming out. Excuse the crappy picture. my UV sunglasses were a bit scuffed up and effected my photo quality. Any ideas on how I can make this scape not suck? There are lots of caves and hiding spaces for the dart fish and blenny, but it does not seem to translate to photo. Am I missing something too draw the eye to a high spot? too much rock? Thoughts ideas? The weekend is coming up. :)

DSCN2847_zpsywtpmami.jpg

Maybe try separating your rocks so there is a valley of sorts in the middle. Also raise the height a little on one side trying to create the look of two mountains with a valley down the center.

When I saw this thread posted I thought it was a great idea and I've been meaning to post my tank in here. I do love my tank, maybe it's that I've had it for awhile and want to change it up (you know how that goes) or I've never really been happy with it. What are your opinions on my scape? I find that I struggled with the dimensions of my tank and this was the best I could come up with. What would you guys honestly change about my rock scape?

19767912808_1a5d607905_b.jpg

Here's mine! Pretty close to my original vision, except less open sand bed than the original plan. Decided to focus on the clams as the centerpiece, and the derasa and squamosas prefer the sand over being on the rocks.

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

When I saw this thread posted I thought it was a great idea and I've been meaning to post my tank in here. I do love my tank, maybe it's that I've had it for awhile and want to change it up (you know how that goes) or I've never really been happy with it. What are your opinions on my scape? I find that I struggled with the dimensions of my tank and this was the best I could come up with. What would you guys honestly change about my rock scape?

I love the balance of this tank! Very artistic and natural looking too. I love how that right rock structure is narrower at the base than at the top. The way its built against the right side like that looks like its the edge of a reef ledge that would continue off to the right. It make it looks like a snapshot of a portion of a natural reef.

Maybe try separating your rocks so there is a valley of sorts in the middle. Also raise the height a little on one side trying to create the look of two mountains with a valley down the center.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually did just that last weekend. I don't think it's still where I want it to be, but it looks better. I'll get a photo up when I get a chance to take a decent shot.

Felicia, I think your tank looks great! I know what you mean by the original design having more sand area. Something about those rocks that just take up so much darn space! And I think your centerpiece clam is beautiful! Not sure if it's the picture or the way you scaped the tank but the large clam looks quite big! Very nice!

Here's mine! Pretty close to my original vision, except less open sand bed than the original plan. Decided to focus on the clams as the centerpiece, and the derasa and squamosas prefer the sand over being on the rocks.

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

I love the balance of this tank! Very artistic and natural looking too. I love how that right rock structure is narrower at the base than at the top. The way its built against the right side like that looks like its the edge of a reef ledge that would continue off to the right. It make it looks like a snapshot of a portion of a natural reef.

I agree on the balance of Justin's tank. Also hard to tell the real size which I think is the mark of success in a nano. When you can make a small tank look large and you've tricker the eyes and teased the brain, you've succeeded.

Both well done!

I love this! I personally wouldnt change it:)

Felicia, I think your tank looks great! I know what you mean by the original design having more sand area. Something about those rocks that just take up so much darn space! And I think your centerpiece clam is beautiful! Not sure if it's the picture or the way you scaped the tank but the large clam looks quite big! Very nice!

I agree on the balance of Justin's tank. Also hard to tell the real size which I think is the mark of success in a nano. When you can make a small tank look large and you've tricker the eyes and teased the brain, you've succeeded.

Both well done!

I love this! I personally wouldnt change it:)

Well alrighty thanks guys! Maybe it's just that I've had the tank for so long that I'm itching for a change. Don't fix it if it's not broken right? That or I just need another tank :D

IMG_7884.jpg

Felicia, your tank is so mature and grown in I can barely see the rock scape anymore! The gorgonians add a lot of nice varying height and the coral placement adds a lot of depth. I probably wouldn't change anything about your tank at this point except grow that stuff out even more!

Well alrighty thanks guys! Maybe it's just that I've had the tank for so long that I'm itching for a change. Don't fix it if it's not broken right? That or I just need another tank :D

Yep, sounds like you're ready for a new tank! Maybe an upgrade? I totally understand the itch to need to fiddle and do something new even when the tank looks perfect and is going well. :)

Felicia, your tank is so mature and grown in I can barely see the rock scape anymore! The gorgonians add a lot of nice varying height and the coral placement adds a lot of depth. I probably wouldn't change anything about your tank at this point except grow that stuff out even more!

Thank you! Funny enough, this tank is only 5 months old, but I transferred some of my mature corals from my old tank that survived the crash, so that sped things along on looking mature. Glad you like the scape! I think the gorgonians were really the icing on the cake and finished it off. I'm just going to let it all grow out now :)

I redid the scape the other night. Unfortunately I was going away for over a week so I am not able to get a good clean shot with no cloudy water and open corals.

Also note, after this photo I did some coral arrangement adjustments and attaching so everything looks more well settled.

I wanted to get this photo up for feedback on the rock layout. I tried to incorporate your suggestion above. What do you this?

DSCN2865_zpsv7in7j1e.jpg

My only suggestion would be the vary the height greatly between the two islands to add a visual flow. So maybe build up the right island and have the magrock almost look like it is an extension of that island and put more "flowy" stuff on the lower rock to add movement.

If the mag rock is an SPS rock then it should be moved to the right towards the SPS island. Off center. Same with the big LPS in the center of the tank, move it either left or right.

Thanks for the input, and it might end up being useful too as I think I may not be doing a total reboot on this system. I'm slowly working on getting my algae problem under control, and if I succeed I am just going to rescape and keep things running.

I have this piece of LR in my QT that I think I might add to the display. Give me some ideas on how you think it would all look good together.

My first idea is to do something ismilar to Hey and make a sloping mountain of sorts, but on the right side. Then just 1 small rock in the sandbed on the left for a nem for my clowns. The mag rock would somehow have to get worked into the "mountain" on the right side.

19502907100_e1d949cea0_b.jpg20150714_110759 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Most recent crappy FTS

19919839585_30bec89ccd_b.jpg20150721_230142 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I really love the idea behind this thread and I would really enjoy any feedback. Would love feedback as I feel my colors could pop more and contrast would help with this.

In one pic ignore the red square, it highlighting how small my clown was when got him, but it shows my two solid main rocks.

post-52261-0-53522000-1439443686_thumb.jpg

post-52261-0-56174800-1439443882_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
ReefSafeSolutions

Here is a cleaner photo of my new adjusted scape. I think it looks better. Ideas/thoughts?

DSCN2935_zpskixfdh9z.jpg

I'm new to the thread (I think...) but I went back and looked at your previous rock work and I think you've arrive! I dig the high spot in the middle and how the right side curves around to the front of the tank. Very nice!

I've been a bit uninspired with my rock work lately...I redid it a few months ago and I like how it looks, but I'm not sure I like the flat platform on the middle rock. It's a great place to put some coral, so I'm stuck between either chiseling off that left side of the rock, or rearranging my corals so that platform provides space for a "showpiece" if you will. Here's the shot:

DABF9E87-9770-40FF-AE60-EA2D965E1AFA_zps

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Hmm...that picture doesn't show the flat part of the rock very well. It's just to the left of my duncan there. I'll see if I can find a better picture...if not, I'll just take another one.

Let's try this one...it's older but it's the same rock work, and you can see the little shelf in the middle:

2FF5AE64-F18C-4453-B4D8-A1C6AF53F9A0_zps

I'm new to the thread (I think...) but I went back and looked at your previous rock work and I think you've arrive! I dig the high spot in the middle and how the right side curves around to the front of the tank. Very nice!

I've been a bit uninspired with my rock work lately...I redid it a few months ago and I like how it looks, but I'm not sure I like the flat platform on the middle rock. It's a great place to put some coral, so I'm stuck between either chiseling off that left side of the rock, or rearranging my corals so that platform provides space for a "showpiece" if you will. Here's the shot:

DABF9E87-9770-40FF-AE60-EA2D965E1AFA_zps

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Hmm...that picture doesn't show the flat part of the rock very well. It's just to the left of my duncan there. I'll see if I can find a better picture...if not, I'll just take another one.

Let's try this one...it's older but it's the same rock work, and you can see the little shelf in the middle:

2FF5AE64-F18C-4453-B4D8-A1C6AF53F9A0_zps

I think the rock work you have is a great base for an impressive reef. To keep the shape be careful to keep tall corals away from the dip in the scape to keep that point of interest in tact. Could use some gorgs or acros on the top right to give height but not density to the right hand side to offset the left sides large amount of lps close together.

ReefSafeSolutions

Thanks! So for the dip in the scape, which is pretty much right where the little shelf is, what kind of lower profile coral would you recommend? I'm thinking maybe some colorful mushrooms maybe. I have reserved the top right part of the scape for SPS (I have a tiny birdsnest up there right now) as you said. Maybe a branching green star in that general area, just to give a bit of movement in the current?

Anyways, thanks for the critique...I'll leave it be for now and try and put more coral on the rocks!

Thanks! So for the dip in the scape, which is pretty much right where the little shelf is, what kind of lower profile coral would you recommend? I'm thinking maybe some colorful mushrooms maybe. I have reserved the top right part of the scape for SPS (I have a tiny birdsnest up there right now) as you said. Maybe a branching green star in that general area, just to give a bit of movement in the current?

Anyways, thanks for the critique...I'll leave it be for now and try and put more coral on the rocks!

gorgs would give amazing movement, just anything tall thin and branchy would look good up there with some zoas or pom pom xenia around it. for low profile corals, anything encrusting or shrooms or zoas would do the trick.

another thing to consider is having a simple color palette, one or 2 main colors and a 3rd bright color used less often. greens and purples make for easy main colors. Anything red or yellow or orange will pop amazingly against it. could be a great color for centerpieces.

Archived