Innovative Marine Aquariums

Constructive peer reviews for an aquascape

hey

Alright here's mine. I'd like some opinions on it before I start mounting stuff. Not sure where I am going to place the monti yet for so it can grow outwards and plate. I had debated the right hand side of the flat rock on top but I don't want it to really shade the stuff below it.

I like the lower scapes and not a ton of rock. Right now the mp10 bounces of the glass and flows through the rock nicely.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions?

EDIT: I'd really like to just twist everything into the left hand corner but I'm worried about the flow through on the rock. Can't decide if I would like not being about to view everything from both sides though. But the hammer and frogspawn are eventually going to need more open sand than they have now.

post-82754-0-37567600-1436724032_thumb.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

I think the monti caps will look really cool when they are grown out though, in a tank that size I am not sure I would locate them all together as it may make too large of a monti cap "wall" relative to the tanksize. I would also add more sps or other more branching type corals to the big left rock, Since it has a fairly flat face I would limit the amount of encrusting corals. I would also consider rotating the right island a bit to get more of a channel between. I also agree that your left rock may be too large or at least too close to the glass. Essentially just make sure you have enough room for your future corals to grow.

Well..... My right side scape completely collapsed today. Ugh. No casualties but now it looks terrible :(

The left piece is one single rock- can't really make it smaller.

For the right, what should I do? Starting pretty much from scratch :angry:

Well..... My right side scape completely collapsed today. Ugh. No casualties but now it looks terrible :(The left piece is one single rock- can't really make it smaller.For the right, what should I do? Starting pretty much from scratch :angry:

A hammer and a chisel can make it smaller. ;)

HarryPotter

A hammer and a chisel can make it smaller. ;)

But most of the corals are already entrusted on it, like the caps and two acros. Too scared to take it out of water lol

Redid right side- MUCH nicer than before!!!!! I followed your and Hey's advice, rotating and moving right island. Also mounted 3/5 clams on the rock! (One I like on the bed, and one is sick so I'm not touching it)

But most of the corals are already entrusted on it, like the caps and two acros. Too scared to take it out of water lolRedid right side- MUCH nicer than before!!!!! I followed your and Hey's advice, rotating and moving right island. Also mounted 3/5 clams on the rock! (One I like on the bed, and one is sick so I'm not touching it)

Ah. Yeah that's why I want to get mine moved before anything is attached to it. Some acros are out of the water daily in the wild so I don't believe that would bother them too much.

LET SEE A PIC!

HarryPotter

Ah. Yeah that's why I want to get mine moved before anything is attached to it. Some acros are out of the water daily in the wild so I don't believe that would bother them too much.

LET SEE A PIC!

Um my parents have my phone for a week... Ill have to see what else I can do to get pictures. Ill look for the charger for my little point and shoot

Careful with the GSP. i used to love mine until it recently has spread to every corner of my tank, now im looking at a tank reset cause of it. I wish i would have listened to the advise i read once to put it on an isolated rock.

I have a small 3inch colony of GSP alone on the sand bed away from rock. The only way to do I feel like haha

HarryPotter

LET SEE A PIC!

This was mid-way after the collapse- last photo I have.

New arrangement with mounted Croceas and a more thoughtful layout overall (IMO) with Acros higher than LPS, etc.

The right needs to be moved forward more and away from the center still, but its different from before

F04ECFD2-00DB-44BE-B612-6C11C1B6CF0C_zps

Before anything was added:

540A0D47-9059-47BB-9CC4-2A7B68133787_zps

Will get a decent/recent FTS tomorrow, it's the same as this just with a couple extra loose rocks on the right side, which I'm working on offloading, want to return to this original idea of one solid piece. It is one solid piece so I can't change it, but would still appreciate any thoughts.

This was mid-way after the collapse- last photo I have.

New arrangement with mounted Croceas and a more thoughtful layout overall (IMO) with Acros higher than LPS, etc.

The right needs to be moved forward more and away from the center still, but its different from before

F04ECFD2-00DB-44BE-B612-6C11C1B6CF0C_zps

That is sweet overall. My thoughts:

stock heavy on the right side with aim at a reef wall approach, then do clams only on the left side. The BTA might not move so maybe clams and BTA on the right. Move the right island forward to the glass about 3-4", get it closer to give some perspective of depth. If you can, move the frag rack up higher to diversify it from the scape some visually. Finally, clean up the sandbed and (IMO) remove the frag rock on the left in front of the big rock structure.

However, still looks good despite the collapse.

Alright here's mine. I'd like some opinions on it before I start mounting stuff. Not sure where I am going to place the monti yet for so it can grow outwards and plate. I had debated the right hand side of the flat rock on top but I don't want it to really shade the stuff below it.

I like the lower scapes and not a ton of rock. Right now the mp10 bounces of the glass and flows through the rock nicely.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions?

EDIT: I'd really like to just twist everything into the left hand corner but I'm worried about the flow through on the rock. Can't decide if I would like not being about to view everything from both sides though. But the hammer and frogspawn are eventually going to need more open sand than they have now.

That has a very natural look, which I like.

Just a thought, maybe see if you can do like a back left corner large structure, with a slightly curved rock forming a very subtle arch reaching for the right front corner. Not like a huge 6" gap, but I'm thinking like a small 1.5"-2" hole, just enough to be noticed as an arch, but not overly obvious.

Careful with the GSP. i used to love mine until it recently has spread to every corner of my tank, now im looking at a tank reset cause of it. I wish i would have listened to the advise i read once to put it on an isolated rock.

The GSP colony is on its own island. It touches lower down. It will take some growth to get this thing taking over.

I'm more concerned over my Xenia colony. That stuff grows like a weed for me. My GSP surprisingly almost died off. Everything else was great. I seem to have rescued it as I halted the die off and the start of looking better is underway. I need it to grow some.

If I ever had GSP again they would be out in the middle of the sand by them selves. No where near my rock. It would probably try and grow off the rock but then you could just frag it and give it away or throw it in the trash. It doesn't matter where it is in your tank it will grow like wild fire when it's very happy and then you won't be able to control it very easily.

The GSP colony is on its own island. It touches lower down. It will take some growth to get this thing taking over.

I'm more concerned over my Xenia colony. That stuff grows like a weed for me. My GSP surprisingly almost died off. Everything else was great. I seem to have rescued it as I halted the die off and the start of looking better is underway. I need it to grow some.

Personally I'd put it back out in the sand bed like you had it before.

If I ever had GSP again they would be out in the middle of the sand by them selves. No where near my rock. It would probably try and grow off the rock but then you could just frag it and give it away or throw it in the trash. It doesn't matter where it is in your tank it will grow like wild fire when it's very happy and then you won't be able to control it very easily.

Personally I'd put it back out in the sand bed like you had it before.

I'd love to. But I've now used up some valuable space in my only available area for my Euphylia garden.

I'd love to. But I've now used up some valuable space in my only available area for my Euphylia garden.

Ah. Yeah I now the feeling. Mine are in he sand bed too.

Well, I will be taking this tank down sometime very soon to start working on removing the false wall, drilling and sumping. I am planning on a much different scape when I restart it, but figured I might as well get some constructive criticism on this one as it may come in handy in the future. Let me know what you all think.

This is how the scape started.

14933607818_207540193a_b.jpgIMG_20140901_215009 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

This is probably the best quality FTS I have.

17205968713_696b0e2d1c_b.jpg17568238008_4d5808f6a9_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Then, I added the magrock. I was planning on covering it with SPS frags.

17935547849_8b32e9ed5d_b.jpgDSC_0016 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Well, I will be taking this tank down sometime very soon to start working on removing the false wall, drilling and sumping. I am planning on a much different scape when I restart it, but figured I might as well get some constructive criticism on this one as it may come in handy in the future. Let me know what you all think.

This is how the scape started.

14933607818_207540193a_b.jpgIMG_20140901_215009 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

This is probably the best quality FTS I have.

17205968713_696b0e2d1c_b.jpg17568238008_4d5808f6a9_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

My only suggestion would be the vary the height greatly between the two islands to add a visual flow. So maybe build up the right island and have the magrock almost look like it is an extension of that island and put more "flowy" stuff on the lower rock to add movement.

If the mag rock is an SPS rock then it should be moved to the right towards the SPS island. Off center. Same with the big LPS in the center of the tank, move it either left or right.

bpounds1991

Love the idea of this thread, thought I would post mine as I have been driving my fiancee crazy making minor adjustments :wub: . Tank is a custom AIO 30x18x13 but I love the open concept theme and try to make it seem as if there's more space than there really is. Excuse the photo quality it's with a gel filter, and I'm doing some cleaning today too :D. Also planning on getting rid of that ungodly huge Koralia 600 ASAP

post-83237-0-42757400-1437495371_thumb.jpg

bpounds1991

Thanks Hig! Rocks I have wouldn't work with it so perhaps in the future, and Matteo I really like how that looks. It has a rock wall feel, yet plenty of step-down space for more coral expansion and open space for swimming

michaelrzachmann

I saw someone post on here recently how they were basically naive with what they were doing in all aspects of their first saltwater tank including aquascape and i could relate to this very much. To be honest i didnt even know what aquascaping was let alone how crucial it was to the overall look and feel of a tank. After hating my original aquascape for the first year and failing to better it by just adding more rock i totally re-did mine. I found it very hard to achieve what i wanted to in such a small space of a little biocube. I really like the minimalist scapes with lots of negative space and open sand like i have seen in tanks of 4x5, Brad, and AJ Tsin. My two favorite scapes are probably both rehype's Caribbean Bommi and his Archipelago. I definitely was not able to accomplish all i wanted to and it was much more challenging than i thought and idk if it was more the rock i had to use or the space but i atleast like it a lot better than my first scape and i can actually clean all of the glass now lol. Feedback/ polite criticism appreciated thanks.

Orignal

ABB0343E-DD9B-44B7-98B4-DD1FBB54AC34_zps

New Scape

66502F5F-0A28-4089-91DF-0F7AA569DD4C_zps

I saw someone post on here recently how they were basically naive with what they were doing in all aspects of their first saltwater tank including aquascape and i could relate to this very much. To be honest i didnt even know what aquascaping was let alone how crucial it was to the overall look and feel of a tank. After hating my original aquascape for the first year and failing to better it by just adding more rock i totally re-did mine. I found it very hard to achieve what i wanted to in such a small space of a little biocube. I really like the minimalist scapes with lots of negative space and open sand like i have seen in tanks of 4x5, Brad, and AJ Tsin. My two favorite scapes are probably both rehype's Caribbean Bommi and his Archipelago. I definitely was not able to accomplish all i wanted to and it was much more challenging than i thought and idk if it was more the rock i had to use or the space but i atleast like it a lot better than my first scape and i can actually clean all of the glass now lol. Feedback/ polite criticism appreciated thanks.

Orignal

ABB0343E-DD9B-44B7-98B4-DD1FBB54AC34_zps

New Scape

66502F5F-0A28-4089-91DF-0F7AA569DD4C_zps

I know what you mean. I love the show tanks with some islands and lots of sand. Looks sooo cool. Hard to do in a cube:( that is why I am upgrading soon:)

bpounds1991

I couldn't agree more Michael, my first couple of tanks definitely were a LOT different. Back in 08' in high school I started with a 29 biocube, 8 months later I dove into a 75 gallon and then eventually sold it a year later for college but I ALWAYS had the same aquascape. I have definitely been inspired on here by individuals like 4x5 and others for the more open concept aquascapes. I really enjoy the way you added more space with the rock rearrangement, just be careful or that hammer coral will take over! lol

1st:

100_2215.jpg

2nd:

100_0144.jpg

3rd:

0715001735a.jpg

4th:

IMG_2800_zpsc30e3efa.jpg

and then now you can see it's essentially just expended on that 4th one in a larger tank.

Archived