Pod Your Reef

BTA v. 20 Long

righttirefire

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
hockeyhead019

This thread is hilarious and horrifying at the same time haha I love BTAs but I think this one would drive me crazy! Especially with such a well behaved RBTA in the same tanks with the same conditions.

Side note +1 to loving that zoa polyp on the foam cover for the mp10. Funny things happen in reef tanks.

righttirefire

So maybe I should update... the zoa polyp is gone. It was chocked out by hair algea before I got my replacement foam covers.

The BTA has taken residence in the diamond goby cave... which was almost the end of it. It walked about a week ago. I assume it's not happy about the nanobox light acclimation. I started at 25% and have increased intensity 2.5% weekly...

So it's moved into the front entrance of the diamond cave and been stretching out of the cave. Last night the BTA had closed up and the goby proceeded to close the entrance. Burying the BTA... my crazy animals... so I opened up the entrance and the BTA was stretching back out this morning...

All the time the RBTA is stretching to the water surface to soak up as much light as possible...

Love my BTAS...

So I'm starting a RFA species tank.

I noticed that mine did the same thing lately.

Fed it some scallop then it stretched to the water surface, even though the light is at the highest intensity it's ever been. Well all this after it settled in another hole after wandering around for a couple days...

So what's the next step? Increase lighting? Or let it be? I suppose it got used to the light and wants more.

This makes me never want to attempt to move my RBTA, Been remaining in the same spot for 2 years in a Fluval Spec V. Just stretches all funny like at times depending on the lighting schedule.

righttirefire

My nanobox is storm controlled, and I know my numbers are way down. So personally im going to keep increasing g the intensity until I get into the "normal" range of my light setting compared to other users

righttirefire

My BTA has stayed in the diamond goby burrow for a couple weeks now. The RBTA is still within the same 2" radius it's been since I bought it. Everyone is different. My BTA has always been walker.

• 4 weeks later...
righttirefire

Well, right on schedule... two nights ago. The rambler packed it's bags and took off again. Much to the pleasure of my diamond goby. It walked straight out the goby cave between the torch and corals. No pictures. To the corner of the tank.

righttirefire

Woke up this morning. Mid-Mid-glass hanging on upside down!

20160115_074117_zps1ff9c6ps.jpg

Top down

20160115_074128_zpsuvs7orow.jpg

As the lights have come up its still on the move...

20160115_090816_zpsw7x6oovz.jpg

20160115_101314_zpssuqri050.jpg

So I struggle with the idea BTAS won't move over the sand...

It doesn't care for something another. But thats how they tend to roll. You can try feeding it when it's in a spot you like. You got clowns in this bad boy?

righttirefire

A single clown. It started in the green. But started to hang out in both my green and rose. Then the green started to walk. And the clown moved to the rose. I feed both my BTAS. The rose hasn't moved 2" since I placed it the green runs the tank. No idea...

righttirefire

Well... Happy Sunday, my GBTA must have taken the Packers lose pretty hard last night.

Woke up to an absent anenome. It was around the back of my MP10 next to the overflow wall. Took a little time to locate it. Turned off the MP10, peeled off the foam cover tucked it under a rock in the sand bed.

The GBTA was about 1.5" across full gapping, startes ti close its mouth, lights started to come up, and off to the races it goes again. Third time into the MP10 in 7 months. Foam filter saved it everytime. I'll never run a different power head and never without the foam in a BTA tank.

20160117_093316_zps6crki98q.jpg

Well... Happy Sunday, my GBTA must have taken the Packers lose pretty hard last night.

Woke up to an absent anenome. It was around the back of my MP10 next to the overflow wall. Took a little time to locate it. Turned off the MP10, peeled off the foam cover tucked it under a rock in the sand bed.

The GBTA was about 1.5" across full gapping, startes ti close its mouth, lights started to come up, and off to the races it goes again. Third time into the MP10 in 7 months. Foam filter saved it everytime. I'll never run a different power head and never without the foam in a BTA tank.

20160117_093316_zps6crki98q.jpg

How often do you change/clean the foam covers?

Just let it play in the MP10 ;) it will only happen once.......

That is the one reason I like the RFAs they seem to stay put.......(knock on wood)

righttirefire

You can't tame a nomad. Won't try... it's retreated for the time being. Opposite side of the tank. Low and dark. Just lwhere it likes.... Silly think

righttirefire

I've seen this too many times... after exploring the mp10 last weekend it walked off the foam cover to the back of the tank. Been difficult to see, impossible to photograph. It walked up hill last night and still looks bad.

20160124_124843_zpsqtsjegf8.jpg

It's been open mouth expelling waste. Just observing it. Only time will tell

• 3 weeks later...
righttirefire

Well... time has told... I've been watch this little guy and my some sps corals getting worse. All my parameters checked out. I know it's a vague statement.

Salinity 1.025

Temp 76*F

Mg 1360

Ca 410

dKH 8.1

No3 undetectable

Po4 0.08

No swings just the weekly 10 gallon waterchange. But I finally pulled it tonight

righttirefire

20160208_173452_zpsn8nw3eyt.jpg

It finally let go today.

20160208_192353_zpsgz3ygtpj.jpg

I had some rock cycling in the garage. Dropped in a sump rock. Added the IM SKYYE 14K on a timer over the 5 gallon bucket. Used the discard tank water from the waterchange.

We'll see if it recovers or melts. But I wasn't ready to just toss it. I think it polluted my tank and my birdsnest took a big hit. Most my sps started to look worse...

Maybe no more updates...

20160208_173452_zpsn8nw3eyt.jpg

It finally let go today.

20160208_192353_zpsgz3ygtpj.jpg

I had some rock cycling in the garage. Dropped in a sump rock. Added the IM SKYYE 14K on a timer over the 5 gallon bucket. Used the discard tank water from the waterchange.

We'll see if it recovers or melts. But I wasn't ready to just toss it. I think it polluted my tank and my birdsnest took a big hit. Most my sps started to look worse...

Maybe no more updates...

Damn dude I'm sorry :(

Archived