Innovative Marine Aquariums

Electric Indigo & The Cinammon Clowns - IM Fusion 40 - #Duo +M!

charnelhouse

righttirefire

I had my mp10 about 1/3, 5 lights, and reef crest.

20150519_172846_zpszpmlw98t.jpg

I had my mp10 same intensity but short pulse on the longest time delay. I believe it was Markalot suggestion.

20150819_173158_zpsc0pttojq.jpg

You decide.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip, but it's too late. I came home from work Friday and the 'nem was face down in the sand, unattached. I reached in with my grasper tool and tried to nudge it back to the rock so it could reattach. I barely touched the pedicle, and the rim of it right at the foot tore away. It didn't react at all. It's gone. :tears::(:tears:

Sorry... that's terrible any ideas why?

It never really settled in, but the thing I am most suspicious of is that I bought some squid at the grocery store thinking I would feed it some. Cut a piece and it took it, got it most of the way swallowed then spit it out. Two days later it was dead. I rinsed the squid in RO/DI, but who knows. I had seen stuff in posts about them eating store bought squid so I thought it would be ok.

My other theory is that since it was an import (I meant to ask about that at the LFS prior to purchase but forgot :wacko::angry: ) it just didn't handle all of the changes.

Pretty bummed. I'm going to wait a few months at least, then be sure I'm getting a tank propagated BTA before purchasing. I'm pretty annoyed at myself for not making sure of that in the first place. I asked them to feed it and totally forgot while I was watching to see if it ate (which it did).

reefernanoman

I had my mp10 about 1/3, 5 lights, and reef crest.

20150519_172846_zpszpmlw98t.jpg

I had my mp10 same intensity but short pulse on the longest time delay. I believe it was Markalot suggestion.

20150819_173158_zpsc0pttojq.jpg

You decide.

Oh, sorry! My RBTA is well behaved. I got lucky.

Oh, sorry! My RBTA is well behaved. I got lucky.

Thanks. Those are actually righttirefire's pics, not mine. But the sentient is appreciated. Mine is more dead than his.... his survived that catastrophe.

righttirefire

And hasn't been on any crazy walk abouts in the last 2 weeks... I didn't ask but know my LFS, i bet both my BTAs are wild... but I could be wont. Back to the store bought squid, personally I buy mysis shrimp and krill, but most commonly feed fish food.

reefernanoman

Thanks. Those are actually righttirefire's pics, not mine. But the sentient is appreciated. Mine is more dead than his.... his survived that catastrophe.

Oh yeah, I responded to the wrong person. Hang in there. I killed about 3 BTA'S before I could keep one long term. My issue was water quality, since I didn't change my water like I do now (which is once a wee religiously).

I use store bough fish, squid and octopus in my fish food, but I feed the nem silversides broken into manageable pieces while frozen and then thaw it in tank water. When it was still little (4 inches) I would only feed it mysis.

Yeah, the squid was an impulse thing. So was buying the 'nem. I need to stop that, for sure. I think I should have stuck with mysis and krill until it was settled.

My water parameters are in check, I don't think that was it.

I'll probably try again, but for the sake of sustainability and (hopefully) easier acclimation/adaptability I'm going to be sure it's a captive bred.

reefernanoman

Yeah, the squid was an impulse thing. So was buying the 'nem. I need to stop that, for sure. I think I should have stuck with mysis and krill until it was settled.

I'll probably try again, but for the sake of sustainability and (hopefully) easier acclimation/adaptability I'm going to be sure it's a captive bred.

The only thing I feed mine are pellets from the fish food and direct feeding with reef chili from BRS. I have always heard that feeding them chunks of fish(even small ones) can kill a BTA.

The only thing I feed mine are pellets from the fish food and direct feeding with reef chili from BRS. I have always heard that feeding them chunks of fish(even small ones) can kill a BTA.

I'll stick with mysis next time until I'm sure it's doing ok.

righttirefire

I'm not sure you did anything wrong... bad luck more than anything. As much as research can prepare you ever individual is different. You'll do better next time

reefernanoman

I'll stick with mysis next time until I'm sure it's doing ok.

Mine is at least 6+ inches and I still feed pellets to it. Honestly, I will never feed mine a chunk of fish.

Mine is at least 6+ inches and I still feed pellets to it. Honestly, I will never feed mine a chunk of fish.

Why no "chunk of fish" I read about pieces of shrimp (krill), pieces and whole fish (silversides)

Probably just a personal preference thing/precaution. Obviously lots of people feed their 'nems silversides & krill. And there are a fair amount that feed them grocery store seafood from what I have seen as search results.

Why no "chunk of fish" I read about pieces of shrimp (krill), pieces and whole fish (silversides)

Because it is much harder to digest a chunk of fish than just mysis, and small fish pellets, which can stress and even kill a BTA.

There is a thread going in beginners or general that was discussing water level in aio back chambers. I had to back check my statement in that thread when I got home from work and realized I was running the level too high in mine. The second set of baffles was completely submerged. Fixed now.

But fixing it pointed out another issue to me. Because I'm using the Tunze 9004 I have no mechanical filtration on the right side. I'm getting a lot of detritus build up on the right side chambers.

I'm going to have to ditch the Tunze and get another media basket. I'll probably go to the PLS50 elite.

Gotta find a money tree first though...

Picked up a 5 frag torch pack from ASD on Sunday from their weekend sale. Their currently settling in, but starting to open up nicely. A couple of them have some crazy colors under blues.

Wish me luck.

Why you no leave the ato when it us and once a week use your turkey baste to get the crap moving out of the bottom of that chamber and clean it up

Coral Gardens Aquaculture has amazing anemones. Mine from CGA stayed exactly where I put it and has been a model citizen

Why you no leave the ato when it us and once a week use your turkey baste to get the crap moving out of the bottom of that chamber and clean it up

The Tunze I'm referring to isn't an ATO, it's a skimmer. Takes up the entire chamber. It's a pain. I might try to rig up a filter floss set up in the second chamber though instead of swapping skimmers. Not sure yet.

Coral Gardens Aquaculture has amazing anemones. Mine from CGA stayed exactly where I put it and has been a model citizen

Thanks for the tip Harry!

The torches seem to be settling in and getting happier.

I rigged up a filter floss holder for right side chamber #2 and water clarity is way better than it was. No particles are getting back to the return chamber now. Additionally, the floss helps keep skimmer bubbles out of the return. Another benefit, I think, it slowed down water flow through the skimmer side and is allowing the skimmer to work better. Foam this morning looked much frothier.

Here are a few crappy cell phone pics of the torches and tank:

2015-09-17%2011.25.04_zpsejsxzbsv.jpg

2015-09-17%2011.25.39_zpsqj12tnmv.jpg

2015-09-17%2011.33.36_zpstkw78cam.jpg

Archived