Cultivated Reef

1.6 gallon AIO pico build (Now with a blenny!)

NinjaReefer

Here are some new pics. Im trying out the kelp forest look. That red macro grows crazy fast and has been helping me keep the water clean as I fed very heavily this week. I will probably eventually remove a lot of it.

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Begging for food. lol

IMG_0736.jpg

And camped out in his lookout.

IMG_0738.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realy nice tank and i love your 5$ mushroom it is looking good! but can i plz get an Update on the mussel and the clam in this start up pic, i was hoping to se them i some pic but i can only see the mussel i cant see the clam.

post-85494-0-07715500-1445339283_thumb.jpg

Realy nice tank and i love your 5$ mushroom it is looking good! but can i plz get an Update on the mussel and the clam in this start up pic, i was hoping to se them i some pic but i can only see the mussel i cant see the clam.

Thanks a bunch : )

I dont think the clam was ever alive wile I had it. Just a hollow shell. The other half has since fallen off. Its right below the duncan dead center.

The good news is I have 2 mussels and they seem to be doing very well. The larger one you see in the pictures and there is a smaller one too. The smaller one wandered around the tank for a month or so and then found a spot next to the big one. I never saw it move. It would just be in different places like magic! They both open and feed all the time and the smallest one has grown a bit wile the big one is the same size. They leave a kind of grey dusty soot under them that I blow away every couple weeks. It must be the waste of the filter feeding.

Also only 2 of my hitchhicker zoas are left. Everything else got overgrown, stung or pinched by Pinchy. The last 2 cling to life to the right of the duncan, but I think it will get them soon...

under the duncan above the kenya tree. They are in a hard spot to get a picture.

IMG_0744.jpg

Tank's log, stardate 754894 mark 2

Pinchy finally got on my last nerve and I returned him to the fish store. That guy was always dancing on my corals and picking at the duncan.

I am on the lookout for a small goby to replace him.

Awww noooo... not Pinchy. He sure was cute.

That red macro is super awesome. Is it hard to trim down? I may need to find some of that...

Awww noooo... not Pinchy. He sure was cute.

That red macro is super awesome. Is it hard to trim down? I may need to find some of that...

Hopefully Pinchy is living a good life in a larger tank now with lots of fish and clean up crew to pinch.

That red macro is great. It grows so fast it out competes the grape caulerpa. The caulerpa is hardly growing at all now wile the red one gains over an inch a week. I am ok with this because the red stuff is also way easier to contain. It grows from a single stem. No runners to spread it around. To make all those frags I just snipped off a stalk with scissors and superglued them to a piece of rubble.

Awesome looking tank!

Thank you very much! :lol:

check out my mussels!

IMG_0753.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I noticed that my corals all looked closed up and mad. I looked closer and noticed that my yellow sponge was dying off and turing brown in spots. I think it may have been releasing some kind of toxin in the water that was making everything else mad. So I tossed the sponge and did an 75% water change. Corals are starting to look a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everybody! I am replacing the seaweed jungle with a pulsing xenia jungle. Construction is underway. I also traded back the all the ricordia yumas but one and some zoas so that I have some room to put stuff. Those damn yumas where taking over and stingin everything. Hopefully the xenia will take over, but not sting everything. :lol:

I had to move things around. The kenya tree was growing into the duncan. I added a little bit of rock to the forground and moved the duncan lower so that I can place coral above it. I am going to break up the xenia from the frag plug and spread it around the tank sometime this week. There are 4 stocks there.

I also started doseing 2 part. Thats about all that is new.

IMG_0760.jpg

This is the blennys scared coloration. See the dark blotches on his face. He can turn even darker if he is really freaked out. He does not like it when I clean the glass. lol

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

I think the xenia will add some nice flow and movement to the tank.

IMG_0780.jpg

Love this tank! Here learning from your journey.

Thanks. Im pretty happy with how its turning out so far too. : )

Let me know if u have any questions.

Beautiful little tank. I always like aquascaping with different color,size & shape corals.

Thanks. That is kinda my plan, to have groups of coral repeated throughout the tank, but have them contrast with the corals next to them. I am going to remove the kenya tree, becuase it is the same color as the xenia and they blend together. It kinda ruins the look im going for. lol

Nice! Duncan is really cool.

Google purple Duncan- they're pretty incredible. Shame they're so hard to find nowadays

Fancy! I will have to keep my eyes out for a purple duncan!

Very NICE!!

Thank u much.

This is a great tank.

Thanks buddy.

• 3 months later...

Where have you been? Don't tell me this tank is no longer.

I have been neglecting my tank a bit over the holidays and up till now. Macro algae grew like crazy and took over and i didn't do very many water changes. : ( I am ashamed.

Good news though is almost everything is still alive. A couple mushroom vanished on me but everything else is still there and the sponges grew a bunch. lol. I gotta get in there and get the rest of the green macro off the back rocks. Not looking forward to that.

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Archived