Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

1.6 gallon AIO pico build (Now with a blenny!)

NinjaReefer

So its been about a week since my tank almost died after the xenia fell off the rock and fell into the ricordias and melted, turning all the water couldy. I got a little bit of a growth spurt of hair algea when that happened, everything but the candycane is looking a lot better now. It lost some tissue from the base and does not look very happy.

I also got a couple more 5 dollar mushrooms and a blue sponge. Didnt really have room, but I could not resist. I need to rearrange the corals a bit better.

My other problem is I used a mixture of sand and crushed coral for a more realistic look, but all the crushed coral worked its way to the top and you cant even tell there is sand in there any more. Maybe next week I will fix the sand bed and find better places for all the mushrooms.

I also need to get rid of some of the yumas. They have repoduced like crazy. started with 2 and I have 6 now. They have a rather strong sting so they are all taking up the whole left side of my tank at the moment.

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

The just sprouted out of the rock and grew in a weeks time. I like it.

IMG_0540.jpg

The back wall is coming to life

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad things are improving after the xenia issue. Let me know if you want me to take some of those yumas off your hands! I'll be ready in a month.

Thanks. These yumas are trouble. They have stung pretty much every coral in the tank at some point. Im not sure you would want them, but send me a PM when you have your tank set up. I think your tank is going to be awesome. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Tank's log, stardate 754894 mark 2

Pinchy finally got on my last nerve and I returned him to the fish store. That guy was always dancing on my corals and picking at the duncan.

I am on the lookout for a small goby to replace him.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture update! I like to post these so I can go back and look at the changes over time. Not much has changed. I am still looking for a small goby or something to put in there.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

that little mushroom is starting to get some nice green colors on it now.

IMG_0624.jpg

a different mushroom

IMG_0617.jpg

i cleaned the glass for this picture. Thats why everything looks mad.

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

That duncan is a beast and I love the xenia(?) on the back wall. Also glad you kept that red macro, I like. Looks really good dude.

Yeah that duncan is getting crazy. I think its adapting its form to the low flow/low light environment it lives in now. It came from a high flow/ high light frag tank. If you scroll back through the months you can see it change from having very short stubby tentacles to the fluffy monster it is now. Hopefully this is not a sign of poor health, but it seems to be growing so I think its ok.

I think the blue xenia stuff is an Anthelia species. Thats my best guess anyways.

Thanks!

Red macro is cool! Like grape but.... Red?

I like the red macro too. Its been growing like crazy! Its from the genus Botryocladia, however my laziness prevents me from finding the exact species.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everybody I got a new fish and I raided the 5 dollar frag section again. hehe. I tried for a couple months but was never able to find a trimma goby like I wanted so I ended up getting Twospot Blenny (Ecsenius Bimaculatus). He is super cute. He has little frog eyes that move around independently like a chemeleon.

You can tell from the picture that he is pretty skinny, but I think I can save him. As soon as he went in the tank he started munching on the rocks and taste testing a few corals. lol At least he has a good appetite.

IMG_0646.jpg

I also made one of the worst cell phone videos ever. I didnt even hold it in landscape. I am ashamed. : (

http://vid468.photobucket.com/albums/rr42/CaptainAaaargh/IMG_0649.mp4

My blenny finally got the hang of eating things tonight. First he rejected everything i tried to give him. But now he has learned that the turkey baster is for pouring cylopeeze into his face. I turned off the pump and he ate like 7 million of them. I am doing daily water changes because I am feeding more than normal to fatten him up.

I also got a red mushroom, yellow sponge, zoas and clove polyps.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

He likes to hang out in this spot most of the day.

IMG_0690.jpg

The yellow sponge adds a nice pop of color. Good choice.

Thank you very much. I like it too. It really stands out.

Really like how this tank had come together , and the goby is amazing!

Thanks. He is acutally a blenny. : )

1 week and 9 water changes later and they blenny is trained to eat all the foods. It was a real struggle at first, but he is doing good now. You can tell he is feeling more comfortable and recognizes me as the bringer of foods. He is learning to beg for food and every time he sees me pick up my turkey baster/coral feeder he gets all crazy and swims to the front of the tank. Now he is eating frozen and flake, so that will make my life a lot easier. I picked up some Formula 2 flakes today so that I can get more algae into his diet. His stomach is starting to fill out and look healthy so I am feeling better.

I just need help thinking of a good name for him. Any ideas?

Benny the Blenny? ( I have no talent for names). It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they learn what the baster means. My ywg actually bites at it and my tiny hitchhiker crab starts waving his arms and grabbing at it. Amazing creatures.

Benny the Blenny? ( I have no talent for names). It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they learn what the baster means. My ywg actually bites at it and my tiny hitchhiker crab starts waving his arms and grabbing at it. Amazing creatures.

What type of crab is it? :)

Sorry, no help here for the name. The names of mine are "wrasse", "clownfish", and "clownfish" haha

He is a bad one ... but he is still less than 1/2 inch inc. legs so is behaving himself. If he gets to be a problem he will be moved to the AC70 fuge I made for the 10 gal basically FOWLR I set up to get my fluval spec 5 QT back when my clowns in the Biocube 29 (Ilsa and Rick) wouldn't accept the YWG my husband brought home and I had to get him a pistol shrimp because he looked lonely. Yes, I am a chump and the saga continues.

post-74710-0-14144400-1445178617_thumb.jpg

I'll miss pinchy. He was an entertaining shrimp for a lot of these pictures hahaha. The blenny's still a good choice, glad to hear he's finally eating.

"I raided the 5 dollar frag section again.."

Man I wish we had those here. Least expensive frag I've found was 10, but then again, I'm used to the prices of freshwater plants. :rolleyes:

I'll miss pinchy. He was an entertaining shrimp for a lot of these pictures hahaha. The blenny's still a good choice, glad to hear he's finally eating.

"I raided the 5 dollar frag section again.."

Man I wish we had those here. Least expensive frag I've found was 10, but then again, I'm used to the prices of freshwater plants. :rolleyes:

Hi. Welcome to NR!

Yeah Pinchy was really cool and I miss him too,,,, kind of.. I think he needed just a little bit bigger tank. No matter where he was his feelers where touching almost all the corals and always making them close. It was hard to tell how much to feed him becuase you cant see if his belly is full. On 2 occasions I was late coming home to feed him and found him eating one of my stomatella snails. He is just to much trouble for such a small tank. I think he would do good in a 5-10 gallon. Also one time I was cleaning the tank and Pinchy tried to eat me!!!

The blenny might not be as showy in pictures, but he is more fun in person. He is always watching me. His eyes follow me around the room and he gets really excited when he thinks I am going to feed him.

I think I am pretty lucky to live here in So Cal. Lots of good fish stores. : )

Archived