Cultivated Reef

36" SPS reef (I need a better camera)

Weasel Baron

Weasel Baron

so Im not patient. Just grabbed a couple cool looking red and green rock flower nems and some other stuff from "rarereef," Ive heard some discouraging things about them but considering theyre in miami and I dont have to pay shipping/I can go harass them if they mess up, Im not too worried

in the mean time, heres a vid from the other tank. Ill try to get one of him eating later today, hes a pig

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weasel Baron

I need to remember to flip the phone when I get a video.

Ill get more pics of the 12gal when the new pieces come in... still no word from the guys at rarereef. Im not surprised, but if youre expecting prompt service its probably not the best place to shop. Hell, Im doing local pickup, all they need to do is tell me when I can come get it!

things are starting to take off too (knock on wood), the polyps are throwing out new heads and im getting consistent and good PE from the SPS

Weasel Baron

just got a message from the guys at rarereef, and due to their location NOT being in miami anymore (I guess they moved? would have been cool if they made that clear :angry:), I guess Im opting for the shipped package. I dont think a drive all the way up to Loxahatchee is worth the $20 I'd save on shipping.

just got an email from uniquecorals too, I guess they're doing a mothers day sale this friday, so I dont think Ill be able to avoid buying a few sps frags. Ive heard good things from them

picture tax:

moonlight

a0gQWBa.jpg

lH9uwgj.jpg

and heres a picture of my dog doing what he does best

Dgp68Uc.jpg

Weasel Baron

no news is good news, right? No deaths or issues w/ perams, and the palys are really starting to take off and grow some new heads.

sorry about the bad white balance, phone is good at macros but no good at color

YS2Qdjr.jpg

cTOxIFF.jpg

forest fire is showing some good PE

LQzCdAC.jpg

RgfQHtc.gif

also bought some stuff from unique corals for their mother's day sale

a frag pack w/ an aussie blue vermiculata, strawberry shortcake, bali shortcake, and acropora insignis

4-piece_uc-frag-pack-blue-vermiculata-st

a key-lime vermiculata

1inch-lime-vermiculata-frag-42-inventory

a pink milli

3quarter-inch-pink-millie-frag-entry-lev

ill post up picks when they arrive on wednesday

Weasel Baron

got the stuff from rare-reef and unique corals today. unfortunately my flatmate took off for the summer and took her nice camera with her :( so Im stuck w/ a decade old Cannon powershot

oh well, here's the new stuff

oh. em. gee. that flower nem :wub::wub:

also note the strawberry, pink milli and bali shortcake

Pu6rruT.jpg

the vermiculata and insignis dont look great under normal lighting. kinda poopy

z7thSMD.jpg

the other three have some nice color tho

njLvSg0.jpg

as does the blue vermiculata

4pGukIj.jpg

5jm0CAe.jpg

kSx9NhU.jpg

seriously tho

fJe3puj.jpg

0NE9lDT.jpg

WNU4jZX.jpg

Torch is a bit cranky, but has opened up since I took the photo

mKm38gg.jpg

I will inevitably snap some more pics later, and probably give the SPS a few days on the sandbed before I try moving them to a more permanent location.

fingers crossed that I dont lose anymore of these guys. I think I have the perams stabilized now... granted not all my tests are salifert, and I rely on API for a couple

5MObEC7.png

that nem....

7J5hAc9.jpg

Weasel Baron

always... watching...

TvdOGGu.jpg

always

had some free time so I got the frags mounted. Im hopeful, things are showing decent PE and theres no discoloration or recession.

eXHBzeY.jpg

ebd2oSQ.jpg

KHNvnK4.jpg

nLJysLl.jpg

V5J3vTH.jpg

WlQMqSc.jpg

7yfnNGh.jpg

macro corner

1CxWZkg.jpg

QSI3QCq.jpg

as it stands:

31yqj3e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Weasel Baron

update!

found this dude cruising along munching on some hair algae. As you can see, I have a lot of it, and most of my SPS have turned brownish. Now that the system seems happy and stable enough to keep things alive and some of the SPS are showing growth, I can start worrying about dealing w/ algae and color

LC5QK4o.jpg

the birdsnest colonies are putting out a lot of little branches, but not much in terms of encrusting at the base

Uonlf60.jpg

mLtECsT.jpg

comparison shot to back when I was having alk issues aboot a month ago

VVPspQ6.jpg

these dudes are throwing out a bunch of heads and getting some color on the new polyps

nEg4qxm.jpg

I6yr3jN.jpg

moved the clown from the 50gal, as the guy who bought the nem didnt want the clown. He likes hanging around the goby and the euphyllia

Bhjr8RG.jpg

there seems to be two different species of macro that look similar, can anyone ID the blue stuff?

Q3Vpdcm.jpg

Shit,I would be happy with my sps throwing out branches instead of encrusting... All my stuff ever does is encrust lol wanna switch ?!? Everything is looking good though,glad to see this thing just cruising along. Have you tested like Potassium,Iodine and all that good jazz ? What're nutrients like ?

Weasel Baron

Shit,I would be happy with my sps throwing out branches instead of encrusting... All my stuff ever does is encrust lol wanna switch ?!? Everything is looking good though,glad to see this thing just cruising along. Have you tested like Potassium,Iodine and all that good jazz ? What're nutrients like ?

lol nah, alk test every day, Mg and Ca every 3rd day (although its always over 1500 and 500, respectively). Once I get a little further into this tank, maybe a couple more months, Ill consider getting a triton water test and see whats up... but I feed reef chili every day, so I think I can hazard a guess that a lot of overfeeding is my issue

here are some more shots of that macro too, never seen anything like it

6R8WoAw.jpg

qVULbIE.jpg

Oh okay,I thought about doing the Triton testing myself,my LFS offers to send in your water and all that good jazz. Tha

Oh okay,I gotcha. I've thought about doing the Triton testing myself. My lfs offers to send your water in for you and all that good jazz. That macro is pretty crazy looking,I've never seen anything like that before.

Weasel Baron

The pretty blue seems to be Dictyota. Some species of it mostly the brown/yellow) are very invasive.

Dictyota adnata I think.

awesome! yeah, the brown stuff spreads really quickly, but its a hell of a lot easier to remove than hair algae or bryopsis

Weasel Baron

so my halimeda went into sexual reproduction mode, figured I'd rip it out and not risk it crashing the system. I didnt think to grab any pics before I yanked it all out, but Ill attach one of the few petals I left. It basically bleached and all the green scrunched up into little tufts. They havent dispersed as of yet, but I imagine it will in the next day or so. The only thing I can think might have caused it was a minor spike in salinity (up to 1.027 from 1.025)

Sucks. I liked that macro. maybe the gametes will do their thing and reseed the tank

2j8xqAz.jpg

heres a pic of what it looked like (via google)

Halimeda004.jpg

I did not know halimeda would do that. Thanks for sharing, I have some and will be more careful with the salinity. I love the blue dictyota, it's beautiful. If you are ever thinning it I will buy some for my seahorse tank?

Weasel Baron

It's some sort of cosmic rule that the prettiest macros grow the slowest. If the blue stuff was growing half as fast as the red/brown I'd be shipping it out every week

I'm going to try gluing some clippings to other spots to see if I can seed it. If I ever get it going I'll let everyone know

That dictyota will spread like wildfire if you manually pluck at it. Little micro bits will make it sprout up anywhere there isn't coral. My tanks got tons I prune it regularly.

Weasel Baron

I got new stuff!

sunburst monti

y3akCfE.jpg

FfPe4TS.jpg

no idea what kind of chalice this is, but it looks cool

EsvZjyF.jpg

routinely the hardest montipora I have kept in all my years of reefing...something about sunset montis, they do great great great then die if something looks at them wrong

JEbvxp5.jpg

hFTkyMw.jpg

also my LFS had this rock nem with green and a blue center

34NqJPE.jpg

m9On77z.jpg

broke the 50gal down and moved the clown and damsel into the 12, they seem to be doing great

sNMzOkZ.jpg

1JZZ1gb.jpg

aaaaalllsoo, I traded the 50gal for this 125g

TiwJKaM.jpg

it has a crack/chip about 5-6" from the base, so it leaks when full, but the plan was to convert it into a terrarium anyway. I need to reinforce the stand, repaint it and clean up the silicone and resilicone the tank, and then the hope is to make a massive poison dart frog tank. Ill be using expanding foam and driftwood to create a little piece of rainforest

Weasel Baron

wait, whats this?

KBOqHXz.jpg

found it while scraping the glass.

colonial tunicate? sponge?

Archived