SaltCritters.com

36" SPS reef (I need a better camera)

Weasel Baron

Weasel Baron

Ive also decided not to buy anything new for the time being

I LIED!

bought a paly frag and a piece of digi, also moved some hammer frags from the 50gal and got some more pics:

e51DIN9.jpg

dXpEkPd.jpg

growth?!

If7KVUd.jpg

new resident

Ax84w0N.jpg

pGB9rRN.jpg

dXha5e6.jpg

moved some frags off their plugs

6tfzikq.jpg

Im liking the mini zoa/macroalgae garden going on on the left side of the tank

L7dmgyC.jpg

due to the reduced flow Im considering making the leftmost side of the tank mostly LPS

rY26ie6.jpg

5Cdf7zo.gif

2BBFqfz.gif

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefkid88

Those Electric oompa's are so nice !!! That digi looks to be a Forest Fire !! I'd say that looks like some encrusting on the one blue piece though.

FlowerMama

My mantis is either a oerstedeii or wennerae and she was macro maroon, then a few molts later then green for the longest time so they can change color w/ their environment some. I love her bright green.

Weasel Baron

Those Electric oompa's are so nice !!! That digi looks to be a Forest Fire !! I'd say that looks like some encrusting on the one blue piece though.

Yeah I love em, hopefully it starts spreading soon, Im really thinking of keeping that piece of rock as mostly zoas/palys. I was thinking the same thing about the digi frag, the LFS had it for less than $15 so I couldnt resist

Does the mantis ever bother your frags?

christ. I hope not.

My mantis is either a oerstedeii or wennerae and she was macro maroon, then a few molts later then green for the longest time so they can change color w/ their environment some. I love her bright green.

I found out the other day that the rock is from the Caribbean, so likely Im in the same boat!

Weasel Baron

more pictures for you guys to look at

FTS, "mid day" and "dawn/dusk". I run two blue+ for 8hrs and run the additional 2 purple+/giesemann actinic+ for 3ish hours to simulate peak light hours

emImcEk.jpg

5yl10Kj.jpg

blue sponge doin well

isGH84X.jpg

weird angle shot. I dunno, im not an artist

ODJPleN.jpg

up close w/ the toadstool

yKnPyed.jpg

newest resident emperor shrimp; LFS had him in as a hitchhiker so gave it to me for a little less than $10... didnt realize how much of a deal that was till I looked up how expensive they can get!

PkMYpIX.jpg

another cool paly frag. not sure what it is exactly, but it was labeled as armor of god, im pretty sure thats not right

8FMyFQ1.jpg

this little punk is getting used to feeding sticks

bOui047.gif

Weasel Baron

thanks for the comments, as always

noticed these little guys growin today. Ive always seen euphyllia split and grow from the main head, never seen em put off little buds like this

IgLrTOG.jpg

and I wish this dude would be a little less shy. It spends most of its time sitting by this long rock, Im considering getting a maxi-mini or some small nem to host him.

VOjM2EO.jpg

Weasel Baron

interesting. Think they're big enough? maybe a few of them or something

interesting. Think they're big enough? maybe a few of them or something

Yeah sure if you find them for a decent price they get to 3-4" diameter, slightly less than a Maxi Mini but they don't eat fish, at least I haven't heard of it before, sure they might but a fish would probably have to be sick or something.

FlowerMama

Rock flowers range from 3-6" usually. Someone had one on NR, was the size of dinner plate.

jedimasterben

Don't get a Maxi Mini, they're prone to eat fish. Try a nice rock flower instead. :)

You think that rock flowers won't also do the same if they can catch one?

Weasel Baron

Hrmmm, so maybe that pretty red maxi mini on reefgardener right now isn't out of the picture...

Just have heard that Maxi's often do eat fish. Interesting if not. My impression was rock flowers are less likely to because they have a less strong sting, have not tested myself though.

jedimasterben

Just have heard that Maxi's often do eat fish. Interesting if not. My impression was rock flowers are less likely to because they have a less strong sting, have not tested myself though.

You would very much regret touching one (of either, really). On some rock flowers, the sting is so powerful that even through a pair of gloves it still burns like wildfire for hours. :o

You would very much regret touching one (of either, really). On some rock flowers, the sting is so powerful that even through a pair of gloves it still burns like wildfire for hours. :o

:blink:

Welp.... disregard my above posts then lol. :o

FlowerMama

I've never heard of rock flower stings hurting skin. They're barely sticky. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never used gloves to remove any of mine from bags to put them in the tanks. Now Maxis are super quick to wrap around a fish or whatever you're feeding it. I fed my friends from afar with chopsticks because it clamped down so fast like you wouldn't believe.

jedimasterben

I've never heard of rock flower stings hurting skin. They're barely sticky. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never used gloves to remove any of mine from bags to put them in the tanks. Now Maxis are super quick to wrap around a fish or whatever you're feeding it. I fed my friends from afar with chopsticks because it clamped down so fast like you wouldn't believe.

You've probably not touched TOO many of your rock flowers, then. ;)

All anemones are the same in this regard - some don't have a sting nearly as powerful as others, but I don't recommend sticking your finger to each and finding out what the grading scale looks like lol

Weasel Baron

All anemones are the same in this regard - some don't have a sting nearly as powerful as others, but I don't recommend sticking your finger to each and finding out what the grading scale looks like lol

hrmmm. maybe ill avoid mini nems for the time being. He seems content where he is anyway, I love this freaking shrimp. so pretty!

0fANAXz.jpg

paly opened up, looks like it has a couple heads starting to bud off it

g91Kd26.jpg

grabbed a few things from my LFS today;

this lobo frag

vAlketS.jpg

this ruby red, super shy! but he's eating well and spoiled for choice most of the time (you can even see a pod on the glass)

eNLy9Um.jpg

I also noticed this cool macro growing, seems to reflect the blue light if you catch it just right

Gedzyja.jpg

and for the nearly empty 50gal, this dude. He hangs out in a cave under the ritteri and is eating a few silversides a day.

F6YokPw.jpg

iacxcLI.jpg

tank

EhIGGlh.jpg

vcDNRen.gif

FlowerMama

Yes, I've touched my flowers plenty of times :P . Then picture taken 30 mins after touching flowers. Maybe other people are more sensitive.

20150505_172013_zpslkufitnk.jpg

Weasel Baron

lol, I accidentally brushed the underside of my arm against the ritteri a week or so ago.

never

again

jedimasterben

Yes, I've touched my flowers plenty of times :P . Then picture taken 30 mins after touching flowers. Maybe other people are more sensitive.

20150505_172013_zpslkufitnk.jpg

:D

Kinda like palys, the ugliest ones have the worst sting. Find a brown one to touch and you might not have the same reaction. :)

I wish I could find my red rock flower. It ran away from my big magnifica and is probably all huddle up in a rock somewhere I can't see or I'd get a video of how greedy that little thing is with food, and it's one of the pretty red ones :)

Archived