SaltCritters.com

my 10 gal 1 1/2 years old.

corriewf

Well heres my little 10 gallon.I have been through ups and downs with this tank.I fought hair algae for 6 months and now im winning.I lost alot of corals to it though.Now im trying to get rid of the little bit that is left .I will post more pics very soon.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EWWWW ALGAE!Oh well I am getting rid of it fast thanks to a fat arse turbo I added a couple days ago.I have tons of bubble algae ,but dont really mind it.You will see the base of a huge toadstool that is now growing back after topped it .

Oh yeah!I forgot to list my stuff.

GSPs

shrooms

sun polyps

bubble LPS

Torch LPS

Yellow Porites

Monti Digita

capnella

toadstool

hitchiker zoos

orange zoos

red zoos

fuzzy shrooms

alveopora

atlantic flower anemone

pipe organ

false perc

blue damsel

green spotted puffer

Thanks.I am going to be posting some close ups tonight.I hate that third pic , it makes my tank look like crap.I just posted it cause I have it .

holyherbiness

heh that third pic makes your tank look like a badly designed christmas tree

still some nice looking colors though.

Just wait until you see the close ups tonight buddy.Whats funny is most of that algae in that pic is now gone.I bought a huge turbo the other day that is eating through the algae like he has the mad cow disease. :) LOL!

Well heres the Alveopora that I fragged.You can see on the right side how its healing over the break very nicely.Kids dont try that at home.You cant frag alveopora its impossible, cause it will die.

It isnt expanded fully as its only about an hour after lights on.:D

:PB)

Here are the fuzzy shrooms.This is only after an hour of lights on and normaly they expand to the point that the rock is not visible.They also look better in person ..OH well.;)

I am using the aqualight powerquad 96 watt.I am happy with it ,but then again it depends on what you wanna keep.

Also I wanna say that alot of that green you see on the rocks is annoying green coraline.Its also the only coralline I can get to grow on the glass and I hate it.I have to take a razor blade to the glass once a week.

Originally posted by corriewf

Also I wanna say that alot of that green you see on the rocks is annoying green coraline.Its also the only coralline I can get to grow on the glass and I hate it.I have to take a razor blade to the glass once a week.

Exactly the same thing that happens to me. I scrape the glass with every WC. Gets so annoying.

3gEclipseGuy

Do you think changing out your heater would help get rid of some of the green algae? It looks as though it's on the heater glass and may help grow it more in that area too. Not too sure but I would give it a try and see what happens. What do you think?

iI really dont think it will help as it grows more on the front and sides then anywhere else.Also the rock is covered with it as you can see.I bought a piece of live rock covered in purple coralline and im hoping it will seed the tank .

Originally posted by corriewf

OHHHHH AHHHH ATLANTIC FLOWER ANEMONE!

I will work on that for you, now that you have a picture ;)

nice tank. Where's the coralline:P

If you point out a spot on the rock I will part the hair algae so you can see the coralline.HAHAHAHAHAH:D :D :D

Corriewf,

Your tank looks good.

I've had my 10 gal up for a year now. I had bad green hair as well. I also get that hard green algae on my glass too, however I do have a very small amount of pink in a corner on the glass.

How did you go about getting rid of the hair? Just brush it off?

I was successfull with it's demise by growing some macro algae, it's a bit easier to pull out than that hairy stuff.

I just got a skimmer a couple of weeks ago, it seems to be helping with the algae too.

Well for months I was pullling it out by hand.I got tired of that quick so I switched LFS for ro/di water.I dont think the one I was buying water from were changing their filters.Anyhow started running phosguard 24/7 which stopped the growth.Then I started buying snails like crazy.I have to say that the best snail yet is the one I bought the other day ,its a huge turbo and its eating algae at a amazing rate!Alot of the algae in the pics I posted is now gone and since im got rid of the phosphate its not growing back!B)

speaking from experience , sea bunnies from www.IPSF.com and a few other online vendors will mow through a 10G worth of algae in less than a month. Make sure you know someone else with these problems though, cuz they will starve after that. Be sure to keep up with WC's if not do extras to combat the increased waste nutrient levels from them.

Archived