Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JimmehLee's IM 10 Build; Final FTS

Jimmeh Lee

Markburns43

I'm liking the planted, what kind of rotella ? and jungle val and crypt wendtii? And the rock you chose is perfect, Dwarf hair grasnlooks good though! Can be a Very slow grower, what are you using for light? And dosing? I see a drop checker in there as well, have an estimate at all as for how much your adding?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimmeh Lee

I'm liking the planted, what kind of rotella ? and jungle val and crypt wendtii? And the rock you chose is perfect, Dwarf hair grasnlooks good though! Can be a Very slow grower, what are you using for light? And dosing? I see a drop checker in there as well, have an estimate at all as for how much your adding?

Thanks,! It's indica. dwarf sag, no vals! The DHG is growing slower in the nano than it did in my 20 high. I have a finnex planted plus on it, dose trace elements with water changes. Stopped using a bubble counter because it kept springing leaks, so I just dial it in to a nice lime green on the checker, run it for 3 hours before lights on and up to an hour past lights out. I'm probably going to break it down when the betta dies, I'm kind of getting bored with it to be honest.

Jimmeh Lee

Well alright, it still appears as though my campaign against the shrimp was successful. I'm missing a rock over it, but after a rearrangement, I'm liking the tank better without it, and it feels like there's a little more horizontal real estate for future corals.

1OmXWNs.jpg

Speaking of which, I have picked up some zoa frags recently. Here's some pictures of them in varying degrees of agitation after a water change.

Xsws8zB.jpg

Dragon eyes

WBq0CUM.png

IDK, they're pink

1J83fkH.png

I thought these were neat because their colors are more pastel than neon, and there were a few different colors with the frag.

P11CpUH.jpg

Itty bitty utter chaos, this picture's a couple weeks old now, but I haven't been able to get another decent one. It's grown a bit in diameter, I'm hoping it turns out awesome.

Also have a single gobstopper polyp that's recovering. Idk what from, but it's getting better.

Bonus dwarf cerith pile up :)

LdmqH1x.jpg

• 2 months later...

New FTS

viGuPfh.jpg

Red Acans, been growing well.

oLJDOmI.jpg

Green acans were growing too well, so I made 7 frags out of them

xfpe3dG.jpg

Anyone have a name for the green and purple?

C5hzt7c.jpg

• 5 months later...

Long time no see! I've done a lot with this tank since July, including a complete re-start/overhaul. Fleshed out update as soon as I get some pictures!

Alright, update time! Apologies for the absence, I've been browsing almost exclusively on my phone lately, which kills any ambition to post. My desktop is up in my bedroom, facing a corner, and has just been too cumbersome to want to use much, especially since I've lost just about any interest in gaming on the thing. So, I got ahold of a little chromebook a little less than a week ago, and I'm loving it!

So, here I am, posting from the couch, instead of holed up in a corner of the bedroom. And it's great.

Anyways, this tank is currently doing very well, I think. Months ago I was dealing with pretty bad cyano and just not happy with the tank in general, so I decided to start it over with some brs reef saver rock once my frag tank was running smoothly.
Got the rock, broke it up and started playing. The scape I went with was pretty similar to my initial set up, though I feel it offers a lot more horizontal space for coral placement and all that.

Scape draft

Gw9ToZ5.jpg

I added one of the live rocks from the first iteration as an island to the left side of the tank to help cycle it, which really led to no cycle at all, and started moving corals back into the tank rather quickly. It's been very stable, without any outbreaks of anything.

I also switched lighting to a kessil a160, and added a ghost skimmer, which may or may not still be breaking in..It's probably past time to start lowering the cup and adjusting the air valve...It's just been on full blast for the last week and a half lol...No micro bubbles though!

Panned out fts

X9g8hFI.jpg

Closer up fts, with color at 100% (white)

X8G9B4b.jpg

LPS corner. Those acans are amazing, and were a surprise from my girlfriend. Little washed out under just the whites, but they're red/orange/silver with blue mouths!

4H5gdAb.jpg

And Lenny the tailspot blenny hanging out with the plugs

KN1fdqi.jpg

The only thing I can really complain about as far as current progress is that not all of the zoanthids are doing super awesome and/or as good as they used to, but they're all making an effort to stay open at least.

I was going to remove the old liverock and put it back into my frag tank, but I'm going to be moving in a month or so and decided to take advantage and will be upgrading to an im 20 during the move, assuming someone gets them in stock again beforehand.

Oh, current stocking!

Fish:

Lenny the blenny

Corals:

Zoas- Utter Chaos, Rainbow Sakuras, Magicians, Candy Apple Reds, Lord of the Rings(I think they just look like gobstoppers), space monsters(look more like strawberry wines), etc

Acans

Blue Duncan

Blue-tipped Torch

Splatter Hammer

Clean-up: The entirety of this cleanup crew were hitchhikers, and it is really minimal compared to how I started last time.

One Limpet

Two or three large stomatella snails, several itty bitty babies

micro brittle stars

Well, that's all I've got right now! Thanks for reading, I apologize for bad formatting and run on sentences.

Thanks teeny! Technically yes, but I'll also be getting a second one, and connecting it to the same controller. There will be some overlap, but less shadowing.

ETA: I'm thinking about switching to black sand when the move happens. Any opinions?

I love the look of black sand but have never tried it. Some people who have said they liked it but the maintenance was hard because every little piece of dirt and detritus shows up on black.

Yeah, I've always used black substrate in my planted tanks, I love the look. Haven't had too bad of a time with poo poo in those tanks on it. Hmmmm

Everything pops against black, that's for sure

Yeah, I've got black in my planted tank too. Poop isn't a problem but a lot of the stuff you blow off of the live rocks is white. So it shows up easily.

I wasn't thinking so much about the bastings. The more I think about it and look at tanks with it on image search, the more I'm deciding against it. I'll just stick with the arag-alive special grade.

Good call Teeny

It's your fault!

Went to get some RO today at my LFS and ended up leaving with a maxi-mini anemone. Orange, green, purple, and only $35.

Here it is hanging out in the bag.

Smpv5Xc.jpg

Me too :P

It's shifting around some from where I put it. Crossing my fingers it doesn't decide it likes facing the sand from the underside of the rock lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved my little clowns into the 10, sold my 20 long frag tank, and got the fusion 20 in the mail.

New pics!

Uf9YvT4.jpg

5fxnkFv.jpg

Clowns clowning around..They're all for diving in front of the camera, but not so much for staying still.

S9UwQyj.jpg

Red finger macro that sprouted out of the old live rock

wCKO9kR.jpg

'Nem

9218d2J.jpg

I bought this duncan with half a head, it's been doing pretty well, though the blue duncan is crushing it in terms of new growth. 6 heads vs 2

RUy7yg8.jpg

Thank you! I got the green duncan back in like July, the blue one is from October. I think It got fed more :P

I'm getting excited to set up the new tank, thinking I'll try 3 islands with it, one for euphyllia, one for maxi-minis and a larger mixed one.

I really like it! When I eventually chuck that rock I'll be taking off that piece with my bone cutters for sure. It popped up about 3 weeks ago and has been growing really well. Or as far as I can tell at least.

I'm hoping I'll have things running smoothly in the new 20 by mid February. Then after another couple months the Middle Tennessee Reef Club is having it's big annual frag expo here in Nashville. Gonna crush my wallet and fill it up. Rainbow everything

Archived