Pod Your Reef

Java's 18" Cube

JavaJacketOC

How's the flow? Do you use the intermittent setting on the RW-4?

What settings are you using on the Razor?

Sorry for the question barrage.

That green Monti Cap looks like it has grown up to the glass so somethings going right in there even if the polyps aren't bothering to come out and say "thanks".

Thanks. I probably shouldn't worry too much about polyp extension but the milli in the middle just isn't doing well and the stylo is making a slow recovery from some type of irritation a couple months ago.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brought this forward from my thread.

This tank isn't new right? Because ammonia and nitrite tests aren't needed after your tank has been running cycled for a while. The fish waste and left over foods produce ammonia as they break down but as part of the tanks filtration and biological function, it processes these without blinking.

Nitrate 0 and phosphate 0 even after feeding means the tank needs more food. I would not dump a whole bunch in to achieve this however - I would consistently feed a little bit every day and slowly ramp up the amount you feed. Shut off pumps and target food very small particle foods for the corals. LPS need larger food like brine or mysis or pellets but not SPS and softies.

When I feed the corals I leave the pumps off for at least 30 minutes.

Hope that encourages polyp extension. Also acropower is a good amino acid to use - it encourages a feeding response, so the polyps start to come out, then when you feed, the coral is able to capture the food.

I did it

ZHdOyDB.png?1

How do you like that sump?

Also, didn't see his when I responded last time. I think it's ok. I wish I'd used a stronger pump though...not a lot of water flow through the fuge area with the 2 water channels. When my cheato gets really dense I sometimes get slime algae...you don't even see the water moving through the chamber.

There aren't a lot of options to fit in my stand so for the shape and size I think it's good but don't know if I'd choose it over a traditional sump next time.

I did it

ZHdOyDB.png?1

Also, didn't see his when I responded last time. I think it's ok. I wish I'd used a stronger pump though...not a lot of water flow through the fuge area with the 2 water channels. When my cheato gets really dense I sometimes get slime algae...you don't even see the water moving through the chamber.

There aren't a lot of options to fit in my stand so for the shape and size I think it's good but don't know if I'd choose it over a traditional sump next time.

You know whats crazy I just made the same order :o My tank lacks fish at the moment so my sps could definitely use the additional amino acids. Ive always used fuel in the past but Ive heard this is just as good and doesnt need to be refrigerated. Keep us posted on your results. :)

How's the flow? Do you use the intermittent setting on the RW-4?

What settings are you using on the Razor?

Sorry for the question barrage.

That green Monti Cap looks like it has grown up to the glass so somethings going right in there even if the polyps aren't bothering to come out and say "thanks".

Forgot to respond to the lighting question. I'm running the following on the razor:

10am - White: 0%/Blue: 1%

11am - White: 6%/Blue: 12%

1:30pm - White: 82%/Blue: 100%

8:00pm - White: 82%/Blue: 100%

9:30pm - White: 6%/Blue: 12%

10:00pm - White: 0%/Blue 1%

You know whats crazy I just made the same order :o My tank lacks fish at the moment so my sps could definitely use the additional amino acids. Ive always used fuel in the past but Ive heard this is just as good and doesnt need to be refrigerated. Keep us posted on your results. :)

Will do

Forgot to respond to the lighting question. I'm running the following on the razor:

10am - White: 0%/Blue: 1%

11am - White: 6%/Blue: 12%

1:30pm - White: 82%/Blue: 100%

8:00pm - White: 82%/Blue: 100%

9:30pm - White: 6%/Blue: 12%

10:00pm - White: 0%/Blue 1%

Will do

Okay. I have the R420R and have spent many hours trying to find out what settings everyone is using since it seems like 100% (particularly on white) makes for unhappy corals. I'm guessing that it is the same for the Nano version but I see you are running them a little below full power already.

Okay. I have the R420R and have spent many hours trying to find out what settings everyone is using since it seems like 100% (particularly on white) makes for unhappy corals. I'm guessing that it is the same for the Nano version but I see you are running them a little below full power already.

I've tried running both channels on 99% with 90 degree optics and with 120 degree optics, never liked the color and coral didn't seem to like it either. The current settings are ok color-wise for me and all the coral seem to be fine with it. My gold maxima is on the sand in the middle of the LED array cone and it's opening a lot more now...may need to move it up toward the light.

Brought this forward from my thread.

This tank isn't new right? Because ammonia and nitrite tests aren't needed after your tank has been running cycled for a while. The fish waste and left over foods produce ammonia as they break down but as part of the tanks filtration and biological function, it processes these without blinking.

Nitrate 0 and phosphate 0 even after feeding means the tank needs more food. I would not dump a whole bunch in to achieve this however - I would consistently feed a little bit every day and slowly ramp up the amount you feed. Shut off pumps and target food very small particle foods for the corals. LPS need larger food like brine or mysis or pellets but not SPS and softies.

When I feed the corals I leave the pumps off for at least 30 minutes.

Hope that encourages polyp extension. Also acropower is a good amino acid to use - it encourages a feeding response, so the polyps start to come out, then when you feed, the coral is able to capture the food.

Acropower delivered today. I've done some brief searches and didn't see any standard dosing methods so just dosed about 5ml per the instructions.

Any idea if it's better to dose a few hours before you feed (read someone was doing that) or just a small amount daily?

I am in no way, shape or form a "prepper" but I found a food grade water storage barrel that someone used for camping a couple years ago on Craigslist for 25.00 with the siphon pump and all.

The water in my area this time of the year is pretty bad for filtering...standard tap is running about 600 TDS and my city uses chloramine to purify so my drinking water is from the RO machine...sadly my mighty mite with DI is already reading 2-3 TDS after I replaced all the filters a month ago so had to upgrade to a new RO machine. It'll be nice to only have to filter water every couple months and should allow me to time it to get through this high TDS water season.

3rR2jSl.jpg?1

Lights are starting to ramp up and the pump just woke up from night mode...everyone is waking up :)

qseIJeE.jpg?2

Looking very good.

I have the 130w (16k) unit which comes with the 120 degree optics. My problem is that I like the light pretty white but the white channel seems to be the least gentle on the corals.

Looking very good.

I have the 130w (16k) unit which comes with the 120 degree optics. My problem is that I like the light pretty white but the white channel seems to be the least gentle on the corals.

Really? I didn't think any of them came with the 120 optics. I had to buy the separate panel.

I remembering you saying that you thought you might need more flow thru your sump awhile back. I just removed the filter pad between the fuge and skimmer area about 15 minutes ago and already noticed less build up floating on top of the water in the sump. I'm thinking even when I had it completely cleaned out, it was restricting the water flow too much

I remembering you saying that you thought you might need more flow thru your sump awhile back. I just removed the filter pad between the fuge and skimmer area about 15 minutes ago and already noticed less build up floating on top of the water in the sump. I'm thinking even when I had it completely cleaned out, it was restricting the water flow too much

LOL, I totally cleaned the hell out of the fuge this weekend and removed that filter pad too. I think you're right about the build up, time will tell

I fed my LPS and bigger paly's tonight...they really like Coral Frenzy Reef Pellets.

This lobo is still one of my favorite corrals...has the coolest changes in texture when it's feeding.

The first two pics were about 2 min after dropping the pellets in, the 3rd one was about 10 min later when it started to open again

4dEhtLR.jpg?1

mKLh0uc.jpg?2

zWaAnsF.jpg?1

Toxic green brain...it literally ate all the pellets and reopened in about 2 min...always hungry.

YQ5QlxF.jpg

Went in on a HOS order with another local reefer....this is incoming :wub:

crocea2_large.png?v=1444091172

It only makes 2 but I've already got my eye on a 3rd

Went in on a HOS order with another local reefer....this is incoming :wub:

crocea2_large.png?v=1444091172

It only makes 2 but I've already got my eye on a 3rd

Sweet pickup!

I made this thread. Any thoughts?

Looks like you raised the magnesium too high over a very short amount of time.

Really? Couple threads I read said no more than 200ppm per day and I did less than half that per day.

Really? Couple threads I read said no more than 200ppm per day and I did less than half that per day.

Your tanks magnesium has been around 1200 for months now so making any major changes should happen slowly over the course of a few weeks (100-200ppm per week would probably have been better) This way you could give your corals more time to acclimate to the change and observe them closely over this period. In addition many coral dont tolerate elevated magnesium levels so well and bleaching can occur.

Your tanks magnesium has been around 1200 for months now so making any major changes should happen slowly over the course of a few weeks (100-200ppm per week would probably have been better) This way you could give your corals more time to acclimate to the change and observe them closely over this period. In addition many coral dont tolerate elevated magnesium levels so well and bleaching can occur.

Ahh ok. Thanks for the info...hopefully I should only have to maintain this for a few weeks then I'll let it fall naturally.

Archived