Cultivated Reef

Java's 18" Cube

JavaJacketOC

Great build! I am thinking about picking up the eshopps cube sump for my 27 gallon cube. I am currently using a 5.5 gallon sump and I wold prefer more room for water volume. I drilled my tank with 1 holes and I am running a herbie drain. How difficult do you think it will be to remove the bulkhead in the sump and run my main drain and emergency drain in the filter sock chamber and not run the lid? My biggest concern is the return pump running dry. I really like the sump, I just wish the baffles were clear so the return chamber was visible.

Thanks!

If you use the eshopps cube sump you don't want to bypass the standard intake. The water channels are split and the intake immediately splits off into the fuge and the filter sock, if you bypassed you wouldn't get anything moving into the fuge. LMK If this doesn't make sense, I can walk through the chambers i posted earlier in the thread if you'd like.

I'm actually not using the lid that covers the intake, filter sock and return chamber at the moment, easier for maintenance.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense! I just placed my order. I won't be using the fuge for anything except for my heater at some point. I just needed more water volume as my 5.5 gallon only have about 1 gallon of room when running. Now I have something to do on the tank this weekend!

Makes sense! I just placed my order. I won't be using the fuge for anything except for my heater at some point. I just needed more water volume as my 5.5 gallon only have about 1 gallon of room when running. Now I have something to do on the tank this weekend!

:happydance:

Got the cube on friday and started to redo my plumbing to get it in place. Just started a build there in the members area! Thanks for all of your help!

• 3 weeks later...

After having the sump setup for a few days I do like it, and it fits perfect in my stand. Like the few others that have this sump I do HATE that the dividers are white acrylic. It is a task being able to view the water level in the return chamber.

After having the sump setup for a few days I do like it, and it fits perfect in my stand. Like the few others that have this sump I do HATE that the dividers are white acrylic. It is a task being able to view the water level in the return chamber.

Yeah, It is a nice sump minus the white dividers.

• 1 month later...

Wonder if I can get some input on this sump. I'm running it without any of the filter pads or sock. Skimmer chamber has he eshopps psk75 and my return pump is the sicce 1.5 I think it's a little to fast. My return chamber fluctuates A LOT! I am running a herbie drain. I've ordered some plumbing parts to T off my return and pump back into either the rug, skimmer or return section. I need to get an ATO, but with the huge fluctuations in the return section I can't get one yet and set it up.

You have any suggestions? Thanks! I have a full build thread in the members area!

JavaJacketOC

Wonder if I can get some input on this sump. I'm running it without any of the filter pads or sock. Skimmer chamber has he eshopps psk75 and my return pump is the sicce 1.5 I think it's a little to fast. My return chamber fluctuates A LOT! I am running a herbie drain. I've ordered some plumbing parts to T off my return and pump back into either the rug, skimmer or return section. I need to get an ATO, but with the huge fluctuations in the return section I can't get one yet and set it up.

You have any suggestions? Thanks! I have a full build thread in the members area!

Raise the water level. The skimmer and return chambers share the same water level at a certain point. If you're not topping off with an ATO the return chamber is going to experience a lot of fluctuation. If you raise the water level you'll have the skimmer chamber to help reduce the amount of fluctuation in the return chamber but it's probably not good for your skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily for me the skimmer section and my skimmer work perfect when the water level reached the bottom of the baffles that go into the return section. I did in fact raise the water level and ordered the JBJ ATO, it should be here today. I wanted the Tunze but with the return chamber in the back I didn't want to fight with the magnets.

Once again thanks for all of your input!

Luckily for me the skimmer section and my skimmer work perfect when the water level reached the bottom of the baffles that go into the return section. I did in fact raise the water level and ordered the JBJ ATO, it should be here today. I wanted the Tunze but with the return chamber in the back I didn't want to fight with the magnets.

Once again thanks for all of your input!

Welcome, Glad it worked out for you!

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I am looking to buy this sump. A month later how are you liking it? Besides the white that is.

Thanks!

Hi,

I ended up selling this with the tank when I upgraded. I would just say that you should consider getting bigger return pump than you'd normally get. I had a 350 gph pump, which probably got about 225 after head loss and flow through the chambers was a little slow. Also, if you're looking at the cube one (the one I used) you'll be limited on macro algae you can use. The fuge chamber is long, tall and thing so if you have cheato it can get a little mucky at the top due to the low flow.

For the price I probably would have preferred a standard sump design that just flowed through each chamber 1 at a time, I feel like you get better filtration that way. I used 2 skimmers (separate times) with this sump and I never got amazing production from either but that could be due to the tank only being 25 gallons.

Seems like I just complained about it but if you don't have a lot of other options, this is a good sump. Just make sure than you're prepared to deal with the uniqueness of the flow design.

Hi,

I ended up selling this with the tank when I upgraded. I would just say that you should consider getting bigger return pump than you'd normally get. I had a 350 gph pump, which probably got about 225 after head loss and flow through the chambers was a little slow. Also, if you're looking at the cube one (the one I used) you'll be limited on macro algae you can use. The fuge chamber is long, tall and thing so if you have cheato it can get a little mucky at the top due to the low flow.

For the price I probably would have preferred a standard sump design that just flowed through each chamber 1 at a time, I feel like you get better filtration that way. I used 2 skimmers (separate times) with this sump and I never got amazing production from either but that could be due to the tank only being 25 gallons.

Seems like I just complained about it but if you don't have a lot of other options, this is a good sump. Just make sure than you're prepared to deal with the uniqueness of the flow design.

This is what I needed to hear. I have a sump (7G) which does not have much room for both fuge and skimmer. I need a skimmer as my bio-load and feeding are heavy (zoa/fish only tank). The entire reason I need to upgrade is for the skimmer to perform as best as possible. Unfortunately my cabinet is 2" too small for the eShopp normal sumps. Not sure what else I can do.

This is what I needed to hear. I have a sump (7G) which does not have much room for both fuge and skimmer. I need a skimmer as my bio-load and feeding are heavy (zoa/fish only tank). The entire reason I need to upgrade is for the skimmer to perform as best as possible. Unfortunately my cabinet is 2" too small for the eShopp normal sumps. Not sure what else I can do.

What re the DIM's available for your sump? I've thought about a lot of options for my setup which had a 16 x 17 footprint. :)

What re the DIM's available for your sump? I've thought about a lot of options for my setup which had a 16 x 17 footprint. :)

I will check when I get home. The cube would fit with wiggle room.

Archived