Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

30G Shallow AIO Cube - July FTS page 4

rocksmom

That's good news! My pink and green trumpets are bleaching from too much light. I'm hoping it will stop on it's own because I really don't want to have to move them. Just going to keep an eye on them. Maybe stick a shade above them somehow to shield them from the blinding light. Your sister has great taste in coral :).

Get a single piece of plastic canvas from Walmart and stick it on top. The holes will help difuse the light. I have it over my Evolve8

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good news! My pink and green trumpets are bleaching from too much light. I'm hoping it will stop on it's own because I really don't want to have to move them. Just going to keep an eye on them. Maybe stick a shade above them somehow to shield them from the blinding light. Your sister has great taste in coral :).

Get a single piece of plastic canvas from Walmart and stick it on top. The holes will help difuse the light. I have it over my Evolve8

I've used window screen too back in my freshwater days. I remember someone with a par meter on the planted tank forum said a single layer cut light intensity by something like 40%.

Very good looking tank! I like it a lot :)

And your cherub angel is almost identical to mine in its colouring :)

Thank you :)

They are adorable little things, aren't they? I wanted one for a long time, but this is the first tank I've had that was big enough.

I've used window screen too back in my freshwater days. I remember someone with a par meter on the planted tank forum said a single layer cut light intensity by something like 40%.

Thank you :)

They are adorable little things, aren't they? I wanted one for a long time, but this is the first tank I've had that was big enough.

That's exactly what I used. Had some extra window screen and plopped it on top of my DIY fish-saver top. I see an improvement already :).
  • 3 weeks later...

how's the tank doing? been thinking about my own tank upgrade in the near future and keep coming back to your build =).

Pretty good besides some bubble algae growing in the zoa garden. I want to be like "Do it! 30G club!" and all that, but yours will just end up being like 1000x better than mine from day 1. :P

Here are my July pics. The light turned off on me so just a few fts and a couple night shots.

FTS

19111970434_53f80554e9_c.jpgfts71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

Left

19734555425_2c45b08b00_c.jpgleft71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

Right

19546527600_25acf65aa2_c.jpgrightclose71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

19111987144_6f4f843165_c.jpgyasha71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

19113650053_9f8a004d7c_c.jpgmontis71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

19734573645_010e6b8262_c.jpgpaly71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

19546522918_cb1675c9c3_c.jpgblenny71515 by Stacy Lambert, on Flickr

You can see the bubble algae in the last picture. I tried removing some a couple weeks ago, but I popped a couple and I think it just got worse. I've cut back on feeding some, but I'm afraid my snails and urchin are going to starve from lack of other types of algae. Might have to break down and get an emerald crab. I already have two jerky crabs, might as well get a third.

beautiful pics! how's the quality of the glass? I really like this tank's dimension but hesistant to get one because the glass is not low iron.

You can definitely tell it's not low iron, but it's not bad. The edges really show it because of the thickness of the glass. It doesn't bother me looking at the tank though. Might be a different story if you sat it side by side with a low iron one...

Aww, shucks. LOL

Thanks, but I really can't take responsibility. My husband did the scape, with about 90% of the corals attached. He really has a knack for it. Did some nice ones in the tanks we used to have before the move.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the last round of comments guys. Unfortunately the tank is now empty. We're selling our place and moving to an apartment, so it had to go. Last of the livestock just sold yesterday and my husband is cleaning out the tank as I speak, err, type.

It was really sad breaking this one down, everyone was so easy with this build.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone :)

Thanks for the last round of comments guys. Unfortunately the tank is now empty. We're selling our place and moving to an apartment, so it had to go. Last of the livestock just sold yesterday and my husband is cleaning out the tank as I speak, err, type.

It was really sad breaking this one down, everyone was so easy with this build.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone :)

Lucky duck that got your fluffy acans :wub:. I hope you will be back one day :).

The leasing agent actually said a tank would be okay, but the place is tiny. It's a studio and there's literally one closet so there just wouldn't be room to store all the "stuff" that goes with the tank. RO unit, salt mix and mixing equipment, buckets, etc. We thought about going with something smaller, but that still doesn't solve the storage issue. Plus we're planning on moving back to San Diego after one lease term. We'll probably set one up once we move back there.

Im not sure how in the world I missed this build but it was truly special :o Outstanding job I hope you are able to setup another one in the near future because im sure it will be just as killer. :closedeyes:

Archived