Top Shelf Aquatics

30G Shallow AIO Cube - July FTS page 4

rocksmom

Thanks guys!

So far, so good. Looks like we avoided any kind of ammonia spike by using all new sand. Going to feed a little bit lighter than normal for a week or two to make sure the bacteria can keep up with the bioload until the sand becomes "live."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice build! Looks like it's in a classroom or something...

Thanks! It's my house. It's an old converted schoolhouse. About half my walls have chalkboards.

Wow your silicone work is fantastic.

Thank you!

beautiful house, from what we can see in the background!

Thanks, but the best part is the view:

DSC00038.jpg

To the right of that shot is the downtown skyline.

Nice! Love it.

And your stand looks kinda like my couch! :lol: So even better

Ahem. What you mean is your couch kinda looks like my stand. :P

Thanks again everyone. The husband and I are both so happy with this tank so far. So glad we made the upgrade.

A bit of bad news today. We ordered a few fish to go into the QT and two arrived DOA. I can't say I was surprised though. The box originally shipped Monday and was supposed to get to my local Fedex for pickup Tuesday. When I went to pick it up Tuesday, the woman who works there checked the tracking and apparently there were mechanical issues with the plane and the box never made it out of Florida. I recieved an email from the company (not fedex) saying they would "reprocess" the order and ship for pickup today. I guess reprocess means putting a new label over the old one and sending the same poor fish without even opening the box. I was able to pick up the box and get a picture of the DOAs sent within their time limit so I should hopefully get a refund, but I still feel bad for the fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the fish. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the aio kit from?

Sorry to hear about the fish. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the aio kit from?

never mind I just saw on your first page that you got it from pico
  • 4 weeks later...

The tank has been doing amazingly well. It didn't even have an initial algae bloom besides a little on the sand. Some of the gha that was present in the nanocube even cleared up.

There are a couple new additions: a tuxedo urchin and a pygmy angelfish. Love them both. The angel really looks and acts "at home" swimming all around the rocks. Very cute.

Yesterday was waterchange day and the glass was cleaned, so I decided to take a video on my phone. Might get some pictures with the good camera later when there's not a ton of glare. Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/Yozy3Euh1JI

That stand is so cool! Love the setup, everything looks great. How was working with Deep Blue? I was thinking about using them for next build.. them or Glass Cages.

FlowerMama

Deep Blue always has a representative so they deal with the lfs directly. They won't speak to you. My lfs had an awful experience but her communication stinks too so the first stand/tank combo I got were first sent to the wrong state, then the 45 stand did not have a side door as they stated, then they sent the wrong stand again , then I said to hell with it get me the 60 and see if they get it right. They finally did but it was a bad experience unfortunately for me.

That stand is so cool! Love the setup, everything looks great. How was working with Deep Blue? I was thinking about using them for next build.. them or Glass Cages.

Deep Blue always has a representative so they deal with the lfs directly. They won't speak to you. My lfs had an awful experience but her communication stinks too so the first stand/tank combo I got were first sent to the wrong state, then the 45 stand did not have a side door as they stated, then they sent the wrong stand again , then I said to hell with it get me the 60 and see if they get it right. They finally did but it was a bad experience unfortunately for me.

Yeah, I didn't actually deal with DBP. I just called the LFS that carries them and ordered the tank. It came quickly and it held water so... I guess you would say it was a positive experience, but it was also a very simple one. Nothing custom as far as the tank and no stand.

Ta-da!

16584898003_16001f3a32_c.jpgDSC01165 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

17018994729_f5354bc90c_c.jpgDSC01168 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

It took forever, but we got it finished between yesterday and today. Livestock was all transferred yesterday, but I wanted to give it a day because some of the corals were pretty grumpy. Everything looks pretty good today. The fish barely seemed to notice they are in a new tank. My little goby from my 5G is all over the place. He must like having all the space to hop around.

Few more pics...

Top down:

16582652324_01de850d2d_c.jpgDSC01172 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

The lid:

17204585081_277eaf3612_c.jpgDSC01177 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Back chambers, fan, moonlight, etc:

17205090475_18e8559aef_c.jpgDSC01180 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Electronics set up and routed:

17017629830_c6893b36b6_c.jpgDSC01178 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

17017426238_18a2028a3a_c.jpgDSC01179 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Honestly I never thought an upgrade would be so much work. I've read posts where people think it will take them an afternoon and they end up finishing at like 4am. I just thought they were crazy. LOL! Super happy with how this turned out, so I think we're done for a long, long while. Of course, there will be a few new fish additions coming in the future, but that's another story...

Oh wow! This turned out amazing :wub:.

Archived