Cultivated Reef

Reefstock Review : Behind the Scenes!

DaveFason

I am on the Red Sea email list and they just sent a notice about how they have all these setups stuck on a ship and can't get to them because of the harbour strike in CA. They extended the 10% off deal because of it.

• Red Sea Reefer Series tanks - These are much like the old ELOS series but much better on price. The build quality and stands were perfect and will be a stunner for sure. I am thinking of picking up the 24" version simply for photos!

When do these tanks come out and what is the pricing on them? I found one site that had pricing but the tank sizes they listed were wrong so I wasn't sure if it was right or not.

The NANO was 799.95, the 24" 999.95.

-Dave

I got something similar to reefbuilders price list in a email from Red Sea:

Nano Black 699

Nano White 749

170 (24") Black 849

170 (24") White 899

Plus there was a 10% offer but only certain LFS in the area are honoring it.

From the email they sent me

REEFER™ Model MSRP Offer Price

REEFER™ NANO Complete System-Black (18") $699 $629

REEFER™ NANO Complete System-White (18") $749 $674

REEFER™ 170 Complete System-Black (24") $849 $764

REEFER™ 170 Complete System-White (24") $899 $809

REEFER™ 250 Complete System-Black (36") $1,175 $1,057

REEFER™ 250 Complete System-White (36") $1,275 $1,147

REEFER™ 350 Complete System-Black (47") $1,475 $1,327

REEFER™ 350 Complete System-White (47") $1,575 $1,417

REEFER™ 450 Complete System-Black (59") $2,049 $1,844

REEFER™ 450 Complete System-White (59") $2,149 $1,934

Agreed. Can't deal with gin. I'm a scotch man too. Now, if you like scotch, and can expand your horizons a little into other whiskeys, then there are some really good ones that I've had recently. From Japan, the 12yo Hibiki is amazing for the money. From Ireland, Buschmills 21yo Rare is a whiskey that I would rather smell than drink (it tastes great too, but I just want to stick my nose in it). Mastersons wheat whiskey is really smooth, but has an identity crisis. It's made and from Canadian wheat, and distilled there, but bottled in California. Either way, it's very tasty.

I like Gin and Scotch. I'm a Balvenie guy on the scotch front. Most days an Islay tastes a bit too much like a sea gull dying into a peat bog set on fire. I'm a big fan of Highland Park 12 and Benromach 10 as well. As for bourbons Woodford Reserve is always good.

Dave, try Old Raj gin if you get the chance. First time I tried it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

I wish there were more pics out there. Reef Builders hasn't even posted any.

I like Gin and Scotch. I'm a Balvenie guy on the scotch front. Most days an Islay tastes a bit too much like a sea gull dying into a peat bog set on fire. I'm a big fan of Highland Park 12 and Benromach 10 as well. As for bourbons Woodford Reserve is always good.

Dave, try Old Raj gin if you get the chance. First time I tried it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

I love Balvenie Double Wood and Spay River but I tend to sway to Islay. Lagavulin and Laphroaig will always be my go to beverage.

I wish there were more pics out there. Reef Builders hasn't even posted any.

I love Balvenie Double Wood and Spay River but I tend to sway to Islay. Lagavulin and Laphroaig will always be my go to beverage.

Balvenie 14yo Carribean Cask is high on my list. I think my favorite "every day" scotch has to be Johnnie Walker Double Black. I like peatier scotches, and for the money, it's hard to beat. Some friends and my wife and I have a scotch club that we do. We take it in turns once a month to host everyone and buy a good bottle of scotch for everyone to try. It has worked out brilliantly, as we get to try some things that normally would be out of reach for us as individuals to try. We have found some great scotches from the likes of Abelour, Ardbeg (OMG I love their scotches), Talisker, Compass Box (Hedonism is amazing), Dalmore, Laphroaig, etc...

• 4 months later...

You would laugh. Super simple. LED Light ( Normally a AI, Ecotech, NanoBox or Kessil ), Glass Gnome Skimmer, Tunze Pump, heater... That is it.

Far right.

I love some gins. Currently my favorite drink is a Moscow Mule however.

Still no release or date. They had the kickstarter and working on all of that.

Again not much info and still in beta. They have mock ups of the unit in a 3D printed case. I hope it pans out as the design is slick!

Hi. I'm in the looks for a Glass Gnome Skimmer. Can't find a source for it. It seems that the guy that made them vanished. Do you know of any source or a similar glass nano skimmer? This is for my new Innovative Marine Fusion 10.

Hi. I'm in the looks for a Glass Gnome Skimmer. Can't find a source for it. It seems that the guy that made them vanished. Do you know of any source or a similar glass nano skimmer? This is for my new Innovative Marine Fusion 10.

Mame

Mame

Hi Metrokat.

That is an option, but 1) Read that the skimmate outlet is too narrow and tends to clog (Gnome supposedly fixes that in its design); 2) It is price; 3) Out of stock in the US. Anyhow, I'm considering it...

Anyone around here can report success with Mame Skimmer in IM 10?

I read that Pico Skim 2 did not work quite well in IM 10.

Hi Metrokat.

That is an option, but 1) Read that the skimmate outlet is too narrow and tends to clog (Gnome supposedly fixes that in its design); 2) It is price; 3) Out of stock in the US. Anyhow, I'm considering it...

Anyone around here can report success with Mame Skimmer in IM 10?

I read that Pico Skim 2 did not work quite well in IM 10.

I think a skimmer on anything less than 20g is a waste, and really 20g may still even be too small at times.

People already tend to feed less due to the limited water volume in fear of over doing it. Then weekly and sometimes daily water changes, along with items such as chemi-pure / purigen basically render the skimmer useless .

I could be wrong in that thinking, but to me skimmers should be left to larger systems that water changes alone can't keep up with.

I think a skimmer on anything less than 20g is a waste, and really 20g may still even be too small at times.

People already tend to feed less due to the limited water volume in fear of over doing it. Then weekly and sometimes daily water changes, along with items such as chemi-pure / purigen basically render the skimmer useless .

I could be wrong in that thinking, but to me skimmers should be left to larger systems that water changes alone can't keep up with.

Good point.

Archived