ReefCleaners.org

Reefstock Review : Behind the Scenes!

DaveFason

Reefstock 2015 is now over and I can decompress. Most people are not able to go to shows and I want to give a look at what goes on. Also include you guys in on new products that look cool!

Jake at Reefbuilders makes sure to take care of all the vendors and puts on one heck of a show. This years Reefstock was in the Radisson Hotel in Aurora, CO. Close to the airport and easy to get to. I think it will be here next year and will allow for a huge expansion for years to come. Getting to meet members from Nano-Reef, meeting new faces and seeing old ones just makes the experience that much better.

Product :

The response of the new Hybrid was great and I am finishing the pictures for all to see. There were a few products that really excited me.

• Red Sea Reefer Series tanks - These are much like the old ELOS series but much better on price. The build quality and stands were perfect and will be a stunner for sure. I am thinking of picking up the 24" version simply for photos!
  • Nano Box Hybrid - Of course! ;)
  • Fishbit Controller - These guys rock. I really hope they can work everything out this year and get the first wave of controllers done. The controller is small, looks good and will be extremely functional. Make sure to check them out. www.getfishbit.com
  • Cobalt Aquatics - Check the new fish breeding cup/system and HOB siphon. The siphon connects to your tank, you clean rocks, sand, etc and it goes threw a system of filters and then puts the water back in the tank. Simply for cleaning and no need for a H20 change. Hard to explain but I will post photos.
  • MP10 QuiteDrive - It is silent. I was able to receive a prototype and will post photos. Game changer pump for small tanks.

Here are photos from the weekend. Thanks to everyone that came out this year. Even with the insane snow we had close to 1000 people show up!

Mountain View :

16447153968_57742c007a_z.jpghhh by Dave Fason, on Flickr

From Jakes House in Golden :

16447438150_b9c657172d_z.jpghhh-3 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

The Infamous Reefbuilders HQ :)

16633363601_f9485c78ff_z.jpghhh-4 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Never a good way to start the trip...

16602891136_44d79e7cfa_z.jpgthestart by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Jakes Infamous Tank : Terrible photo but corals are SO sexy.

16447418270_e029d7a8b5_z.jpghhh-6 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

I think this guy is worth more than the house!

16448639619_aa4c6e4e2c_z.jpghhh-5 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

My simple booth. I just ordered a new 10'x8' stretch wrap for RAP.

16441859990_c65447a93e_z.jpgbooth by Dave Fason, on Flickr

The Start of the storm :

16441687578_4e0f593e05_z.jpgsnowstorm by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Before the masses :

16014639493_1f9ac19267_z.jpghhh-9 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

16014648863_e07ee63c47_z.jpghhh-8 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

16447354960_dfb755f14c_z.jpghhh-13 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

16634419535_093e0af540_z.jpghhh-7 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

16448545589_a5803f6b5b_z.jpghhh-16 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

16634391055_4a7868415d_z.jpghhh-10 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

16012219834_52209cb45a_z.jpghhh-11 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Killer Middle Eastern in Golden :

16627775831_2992766b42_z.jpgalibaba by Dave Fason, on Flickr

At the speakeasy after the show. The mixolgist here is UNREAL. This is Johnny, Joe, Jake and myself.

16602911946_d829355251_z.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

The best gin I have had hands down.

16628207762_f915a318f6_z.jpgbestgin by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Enjoy!

What are the specs of Jake's infamous tank?

Thanks for those updates! It would have been like a kid at the candy store for me! Hey Dave, which one is you in that picture?

That handsome fella on the right!

reefernanoman

All the way on the right? Your right or my right? Lol. So if I order a Nanobox, my light should be SEXY like the guy who made it? Lol.

All the way on the right? Your right or my right? Lol. So if I order a Nanobox, my light should be SEXY like the guy who made it? Lol.

lol, all the way to the right of the photo. As far as sexy, I mean it's a nanobox, so that goes without saying.

Looks like you had a great time! Was there any info on the release of the Fish Bit? I wanted to get a beta unit but they are sold out. I am holding off on a Apex because of my interest in that.

PS: Gin.....ew. Got to go with Scotch personally.Cheers.

Reefin Ric Flair

So you're a gin guy, eyy, that makes two of us.....

I don't know of many drinks better than a good aviation or bee's knees. Gin FTW !

I don't know of many drinks better than a good aviation or bee's knees. Gin FTW !

Interesting, never tried a bee's knees. I usually stick to dirty martinis and gin and tonics, but I may need to try that.

Those Red Sea Reefer tanks are awesome. If I'd known they were coming out I might have waited to get pick up one of those for my first tank. Wish there were cool conventions like this nearby.

You would laugh. Super simple. LED Light ( Normally a AI, Ecotech, NanoBox or Kessil ), Glass Gnome Skimmer, Tunze Pump, heater... That is it.

Far right.

Thanks for those updates! It would have been like a kid at the candy store for me! Hey Dave, which one is you in that picture?

I love some gins. Currently my favorite drink is a Moscow Mule however.

So you're a gin guy, eyy, that makes two of us.....

Still no release or date. They had the kickstarter and working on all of that.

Looks like you had a great time! Was there any info on the release of the Fish Bit? I wanted to get a beta unit but they are sold out. I am holding off on a Apex because of my interest in that.

Again not much info and still in beta. They have mock ups of the unit in a 3D printed case. I hope it pans out as the design is slick!

pumped for the fishbit, i want one... anyone know about likely calibration needs if any?

You would laugh. Super simple. LED Light ( Normally a AI, Ecotech, NanoBox or Kessil ), Glass Gnome Skimmer, Tunze Pump, heater... That is it.

Wow, no chemical or mechanical filtration other than the skimmer? Crazy! I assume he does pretty regular water changes of like 20% or so? What size is the actual tank?

Far right.

I love some gins. Currently my favorite drink is a Moscow Mule however.

Still no release or date. They had the kickstarter and working on all of that.

Again not much info and still in beta. They have mock ups of the unit in a 3D printed case. I hope it pans out as the design is slick!

Some times the KISS method works the best! Moscow mule, huh, sounds interesting, I just can't drink vodka. Any more pics or info on the new Cobalt Aquatics products. They sound interesting.

Agreed. Can't deal with gin. I'm a scotch man too. Now, if you like scotch, and can expand your horizons a little into other whiskeys, then there are some really good ones that I've had recently. From Japan, the 12yo Hibiki is amazing for the money. From Ireland, Buschmills 21yo Rare is a whiskey that I would rather smell than drink (it tastes great too, but I just want to stick my nose in it). Mastersons wheat whiskey is really smooth, but has an identity crisis. It's made and from Canadian wheat, and distilled there, but bottled in California. Either way, it's very tasty.

Wow, no chemical or mechanical filtration other than the skimmer? Crazy! I assume he does pretty regular water changes of like 20% or so? What size is the actual tank?

Nada. I want to say he does a H20 change 1-3 times a year. He has a ton of different stuff that he tries out. But that tank I took a photo has been the same for four years. I am stoked however, he is sending me some of his corals this week. Jake has been a HUGE help with Nano Box growing. I will never forget his first email when he was asking about the units and I said he could buy one ;) To tell you how sharing he is, he sent me home with a MAME overflow, Eshopps doser, tons of additives, dosing containers and a slew of other goods.

-D

Holy sheite! I wonder how loud those mame overflows are?

So he basically leaves the tank alone other than water changes every few months? How is that frickin possible?? Barebottom and skimming probably helps, but daaaaaang

• Red Sea Reefer Series tanks - These are much like the old ELOS series but much better on price. The build quality and stands were perfect and will be a stunner for sure. I am thinking of picking up the 24" version simply for photos!

When do these tanks come out and what is the pricing on them? I found one site that had pricing but the tank sizes they listed were wrong so I wasn't sure if it was right or not.

Archived