fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
On 4/19/2019 at 12:26 PM, WV Reefer said:

Love that first goby pic. 😊

I’m always surprised that Jim the goby is still with us. He’s an old man

• Like 1
On 4/14/2019 at 9:43 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

IM NOT DEAD. and neither is my tank :flower:

But wow, 8 months since I posted?!  Tbh, I’ve pretty much dropped out of reefing. Grade 12 is stupid busy. Between trying to get through today’s school, planning for future school, and preparation for the grad event itself, I haven’t had much time to reef. 

The tank is on the ultimate autopilot. I feed when I remember, and top up when it’s low.  I change the filter floss maybe twice a month. 

I realized yesterday that its not that my passion for reefing is burned out—in the chaos of life I’ve simply forgotten its there. 

Yesterday my mom and I took a trip to three different cities scouring every fish store. Only a couple carried salt, but I decided it was time I actually DID SOMETHING and brought that passion back. So, I bought a bunch of assorted snails and hermits since my old CUC has pretty much all died off. I got an emerald crab to help with algae, and a cleaner shrimp (which I haven’t seen since last night...). And a new toadstool. 

And today I took the time to do a water change (don’t ask me how long it’s been :blush:). The tank looks so much better already. The glass was covered in coralline, and now I can actually see in :lol:

sadly, Bernard the blenny passed while I was on vacation last month. I think it was just his time to go. The other three are still going strong!  

Not much for photos atm because everything is still pissed from the wc. Perhaps another day if I don’t disappear again 😋. I don’t think I have a hope of catching up on people’s threads...

188054BB-138D-4DC9-84AB-A6E67CAA041D.jpeg

E769A23A-D97A-45A6-B6B7-A961D51C2A0A.jpeg

i  like the challenge of the biocube, very cool!   I want one..... there should be a biocube challenge. lol

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
5 hours ago, MarieH said:

i  like the challenge of the biocube, very cool!   I want one..... there should be a biocube challenge. lol

I really like the size. Big enough to have options but still really small 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I think I’m going to kill my tank with the amount of frozen I’ve dumped in the past few days :lol:  Everyone seems to be loving it.

Also, please excuse the fact that I’ll probably be dumping pics here pretty often for the next while.  I’m using reed keeping for a scholarship presentation and trying to gather up some pics :biggrin:

1BB6E638-B907-400A-8068-251E0F1A818C.jpeg

B8DDEC49-5D8D-4498-A221-120EFD6DAE61.jpeg

725687DF-B8F1-4B05-961C-A548C08DFB46.jpeg

6990B961-E803-4941-8118-021DD5699878.jpeg

61F1A8B8-2076-489D-A389-3B6DAA0235E5.jpeg

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Oh yes, and some of you may have noticed that the Walking Dendro no longer has an epoxy pen. It got kind of fragile with time and I broke it one day :unsure:  Since I thought the sensor was permanently dead I let it wander free for a while, but now that I’m attempting to resuscitate I’ve corralled it again. It was a silicone funnel from the dollar store, but I cut the funnel part off

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

I could use a little input. I may be taking a trip to some reed stores this weekend, and I’m a little hung up on what to buy. I skimmed one stores stock list and notes down anything that caught my eye. If you were me, what would you buy?  

Blue leg hermit

Halloween hermit 

Blue coral banded shrimp 

Fire shrimp 

nassarius 

Starry blenny

Bicolor blenny

Barnacle blenny 

Springers damsel 

Yellow watchman goby

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Welp, not much for commentary in this thread, so I guess I’ll decide when I get there :tongueout:  As of now the trip is a go, whether dependant.

so in anticipation, I’ve set up a salty QT for the first time in what feels like forever!

0BFE72CF-F0BF-4844-8322-DAB69FD2BF93.jpeg

8CE60E63-7FB5-4242-9921-B2E9DEB6E813.jpeg

0F93E734-B133-4207-A208-BF2D021CDC77.jpeg

D7BD6431-1766-4C7F-AED0-E554145EC1CE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
On 4/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

I could use a little input. I may be taking a trip to some reed stores this weekend, and I’m a little hung up on what to buy. I skimmed one stores stock list and notes down anything that caught my eye. If you were me, what would you buy?  

Blue leg hermit

Halloween hermit 

Blue coral banded shrimp 

Fire shrimp 

nassarius 

Starry blenny

Bicolor blenny

Barnacle blenny 

Springers damsel 

Yellow watchman goby

Halloween Hermit, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp & Starry Blenny.

Halloweens are quite peaceful. Among hermits, I classify them as the least-douches among all their hermit friends.

I don't have a blue coral banded shrimp, but I have the gold version. Very beautiful shrimp - primarily nocturnal, a bit cryptic. Stays small - and mine hasn't touched any of my fish so far.

Starry blenny - I have one. Huge beast named Thanos. Giant pooper, but was the boss-fish of my nano and my main, showpiece fish. A *lot of personality. I don't regret getting him. 

(Sorry, I'm now only catching up on your thread - I'm not sure what you currently do have in the tank - only reading the last few pages and skimming through them really quick).

Nice tank btw! 🙂 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
25 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Welp, not much for commentary in this thread, so I guess I’ll decide when I get there :tongueout:  As of now the trip is a go, whether dependant.

so in anticipation, I’ve set up a salty QT for the first time in what feels like forever!

0BFE72CF-F0BF-4844-8322-DAB69FD2BF93.jpeg

8CE60E63-7FB5-4242-9921-B2E9DEB6E813.jpeg

0F93E734-B133-4207-A208-BF2D021CDC77.jpeg

D7BD6431-1766-4C7F-AED0-E554145EC1CE.jpeg

Nice GCG btw! I have one - and he's best pals with my Starry! :happy:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Halloween Hermit, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp & Starry Blenny.

Halloweens are quite peaceful. Among hermits, I classify them as the least-douches among all their hermit friends.

I don't have a blue coral banded shrimp, but I have the gold version. Very beautiful shrimp - primarily nocturnal, a bit cryptic. Stays small - and mine hasn't touched any of my fish so far.

Starry blenny - I have one. Huge beast named Thanos. Giant pooper, but was the boss-fish of my nano and my main, showpiece fish. A *lot of personality. I don't regret getting him. 

(Sorry, I'm now only catching up on your thread - I'm not sure what you currently do have in the tank - only reading the last few pages and skimming through them really quick).

Nice tank btw! 🙂 

Thanks for the input!  I had a Halloween hermit once upon a time and he was certainly nifty, as well as a blue coral banded. They definitely hide a lot, but they’re beautiful. 

Was your starry aggressive at all?  I’ve always loved the look of them but I know they’re a fairly good size and I worried there would be compatibility issues. 

Current fish are just the gcg and clowns. And thank you! ❤️

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
11 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks for the input!  I had a Halloween hermit once upon a time and he was certainly nifty, as well as a blue coral banded. They definitely hide a lot, but they’re beautiful. 

Was your starry aggressive at all?  I’ve always loved the look of them but I know they’re a fairly good size and I worried there would be compatibility issues. 

Current fish are just the gcg and clowns. And thank you! ❤️

Mine wasn't aggressive - but he can a bit territorial with my hermits/snails. He used to have this special cave at the left corner of my nano. I saw him pick up and throw a Nass snail halfway across the tank when it tried to enter the cave. :eek:

But when my other fish (mandarin/GCG/perchlet) entered his cave, he never chased them out or even bit them. 🤔

He's weird that way. I've seen him perch right next to my GCG several times. He's cool though - but yes, they can grow to a large size. Mine's already 5.5"+ and very thick. I'm hoping he'll hit 6" in the upcoming months. :happy:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

We made a trip into Vancouver today and are almost home now. The haul of the day was expensive :bling:  there goes the university savings :lol:

I ended up up with a starry blenny and a royal gramma. As of tonight, the two week bucket transfer ich treatment will ensue. They definitely have ich. Not bad, but I’ve never bought a fish there without it.  And at least one of their tank mates was flashing against everything. Sadly, I was stupid and didn’t buy the two that were already in hypo 🙄 I realize now I could have just continued that at home and it would have been way less work. Live and learn. 

I also bought a fire shrimp, Halloween hermit, and serpent star!  They didn’t have any blue coral banded shrimp 😑

The coral was particularly exciting.  Guess what?  TWO WALKING DENDROS!  They had more, but I couldn’t afford them all lol. So the dendro pen is going to get a little busy. I also bought a Duncan, a hairy shroom, and some palys that are probably toxic and will have to have their own rock but made me happy :tongueout:

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

I decided that I’ll use water from my DT for the transfers and kill two birds with one stone. It all works out in the end I guess. Everything is acclimating now! 

fishfreak0114

Quick question. I got some sand from one of the stores tanks in hopes of increasing biodiversity. But I just now thought, could it bring ich into the tank?  Thoughts?

Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Quick question. I got some sand from one of the stores tanks in hopes of increasing biodiversity. But I just now thought, could it bring ich into the tank?  Thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken, yes, it can attach to the sand/rocks etc. So yes, it could very well bring ich into the tank.

Congrats on your new starry and gramma! 🙂  

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
35 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

If I'm not mistaken, yes, it can attach to the sand/rocks etc. So yes, it could very well bring ich into the tank.

Congrats on your new starry and gramma! 🙂  

Thank you on both counts!  The verdict is then that it won’t go in 😕 

oh wait, the pico has no fish!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I’m not sure if the Halloween hermit has molted or died 😕 The shell was stuck in a weird spot and I almost wonder if he committed crabicide trying to escape?

everything else is looking swell, and my old dendro is definitely healing!  It still looks sad next to the new ones 😂

35F08DFA-D95E-4FE5-AAB1-F034364A24B0.jpeg

CF5EE383-BB04-453E-BD01-06E1AE0D245D.jpeg

A4D80979-D600-4F0E-9327-5C9622B0DE19.jpeg

0CB268BC-04B6-4833-A8E6-3A4A2C8330EA.jpeg

C46B41C4-E1B7-4990-81C8-518F5C12A74A.jpeg

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Tonight I did an iodine dip on the not so good dendro and gently brushed off some algae that had begun to grow. It’s mouth seems to be healing, so I still have hope. 

I also fed the fish in the bucket QT, mussel for the royal gramma and seaweed for the blenny. I dosed prazi in preparation for tomorrow’s transfer, which has to be done by 8:39pm. 

The blenny gave me quite a scare. I was sure he was dead!  He was tucked up on the edge of the bucket not loving. I poked him with the net and he twitched a little, bit he seemed lethargic. I went to scoop him into a Tupperware to check if there was any physical signs of illness, and as soon as I touched him he was off in a flash!  Definitely not sick, just lazy

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I did the first transfer tonight at 8:38pm with one minute to spare before the 72 hour mark 🤣. All the equipment is soaking in bleach and will be rinsed and dried tomorrow for Friday’s transfer. The fish are both alive. I thought the gramma was dead, but it jolted up when I touched it. My mom made a good point—they’re in the dark all day and effectively sleeping, so that explains why they keep seeming lethargic/dead at first 

The rogue GSP on my main rocks has been growing too much for my liking, so I took bone cutters and my rusty scalpel and hacked away at it. And then I noticed something just above it, on the base of the green polyp toadstool....a huge clump of bubble algae!!  What the heck??  I’ve never seen it before. I probably glanced and thought it was grape caulerpa. So I took the toadstool out and carefully stripped away the bubble algae, then soaked the area in peroxide. I also gave a zoa colony a peroxide rinse because it was interspersed with bubbles. I’m a little unsettled. I swear I looked at those zoos just the other day and there was nothing amiss. I hope I don’t have some Uber fast growing mutant bubble algae  🤣

12C77270-B592-4372-9775-716AA1E4A064.jpeg

18E85DCC-AB3F-42F7-BC97-42A5397833D7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

I'm so glad your walking dendro is doing better!  The new ones are gorgeous!  Mine is sad, I'm not sure if it's still alive.  Being in the temporary 5.5 too long hasn't been good for stuff.  Hope everything settles in nicely!  That is a nasty clump of bubble algae, hopefully it isn't like the stuff I had in the IM14!  That was the most aggressive bubble algae I'd ever encountered.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm so glad your walking dendro is doing better!  The new ones are gorgeous!  Mine is sad, I'm not sure if it's still alive.  Being in the temporary 5.5 too long hasn't been good for stuff.  Hope everything settles in nicely!  That is a nasty clump of bubble algae, hopefully it isn't like the stuff I had in the IM14!  That was the most aggressive bubble algae I'd ever encountered.

I’m sorry about yours 😕. But you never know, if you target feed it it may come back!  I cover mine so the food just sits on/around it for like a half hour. 

The only critter I’ve yet to see is the fire shrimp, but I’m not too worried yet. 

I was super aggressive in my bubble algae removal, fingers crossed I got it all! 🤞. When I saw it I totally panicked. 

• Like 1