Innovative Marine Aquariums

rock salt man

amphipod

I'm quite confused, I do understand that chud is a fictional movie, which I have never seen nor heard of before, and as for plot details what does algae cellulose relate to the movie?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious about what it feels like to kill a stranger with my bare hands...in the name of science I shall proceed tonight!

I'm curious about what it feels like to kill a stranger with my bare hands...in the name of science I shall proceed tonight!

see you in prison

Obviously Formula462 isn't going to kill anybody, and he isn't equating killing pest anemones to killing people. His point is that killing things just for the purpose of curiosity might not be wise.

I think someone brought up the argument that there might actually be interest in a thread that instructs how to kill Aiptasia in our tanks. I think they're right, so what's the difference? The difference is getting rid of a nuisance anemone that can irritate or kill coral in our tanks, versus seeing if something can live in an environment where you wouldn't expect them to survive. So being able to get rid of these pests, without harming valuable livestock, would serve a purpose.

This wasn't a good experiment (lack of concern about contaminated sources of salt, not measuring levels of critical elements, no attempt to formulate a DIY salt mix by supplementing deficient elements, no control samples, etc). It doesn't seem to serve a purpose. However, if you were to seriously try to develop an alternative salt mix (using Aiptasia as a test subject), I think people might be behind that effort. Plus, it would be more fun, and you would likely learn something in the process. So I don't think people aren't necessarily put off by the killing of Aiptasia, it's probably more about about the lack of purpose in doing so.

Obviously Formula462 isn't going to kill anybody, and he isn't equating killing pest anemones to killing people. His point is that killing things just for the purpose of curiosity might not be wise.

I think someone brought up the argument that there might actually be interest in a thread that instructs how to kill Aiptasia in our tanks. I think they're right, so what's the difference? The difference is getting rid of a nuisance anemone that can irritate or kill coral in our tanks, versus seeing if something can live in an environment where you wouldn't expect them to survive. So being able to get rid of these pests, without harming valuable livestock, would serve a purpose.

This wasn't a good experiment (lack of concern about contaminated sources of salt, not measuring levels of critical elements, no attempt to formulate a DIY salt mix by supplementing deficient elements, no control samples, etc). It doesn't seem to serve a purpose. However, if you were to seriously try to develop an alternative salt mix (using Aiptasia as a test subject), I think people might be behind that effort. Plus, it would be more fun, and you would likely learn something in the process. So I don't think people aren't necessarily put off by the killing of Aiptasia, it's probably more about about the lack of purpose in doing so.

can't totally say it was cruel and heartless, that fellow lived happily quite a few days then I did not see anything but a slimy blob the next day, then in the following weeks I watched something from the salt be so powerful as to melt green hair algae to complete submission. I would have saved the little fellow had he showed distress instead of simply melting over a 24 hour period, I still am out of clue as to what mineral did that

If you are going to use commercial salt, use Leslie brand. This salt is made by drying San Francisco Bay saltwater. So what you would be doing is reconstituting dried seawater, which would work out just fine.

This salt is made by drying San Francisco Bay saltwater. So what you would be doing is reconstituting dried seawater, which would work out just fine.

"... if you were to take natural seawater and dry it, you would not end up with a mixture that, if added to distilled water, would restore the natural seawater. Drying seawater results in a multitude of insoluble components."

Source: http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGrams/Salt_Mixes.pdf

Aren't most the insoluble components of sea water the crud you don't really want in the tank on the first place though?

You can't believe what a seller of salt mix says. I certainly don't. There can't be much of any insoluble components in seawater, wet or dried. It just isn't physically possible. There may be the occasional unlucky fish that releases some oil, but that's it.

They are taking about the chemistry of making a dry salt mix:

"When you add sodium chloride to water you do not have a sodium chloride solution, you have a solution of distinct hydrated sodium ions and distinct hydrated chloride ions. If you now add some magnesium sulfate, you have distinct sodium, magnesium, chloride, and sulfate ions. If you were to dry this mixture, you would not recover the original sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate, but a mixture of sodium chloride, magnesium sulfate, sodium sulfate, and magnesium chloride. If you were to add calcium chloride to the solution you would end up with a solution containing distinct sodium, magnesium, calcium, chloride, and sulfate. Depending on the ratio of chloride and sulfate ions, you could easily obtain a precipitate of calcium sulfate, which does not readily dissociate and is thus relatively insoluble. If you were to add some carbonate, you could easily get more precipitate as non-dissociable calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate."

That's not to say that reconstituting dried seawater would result in something totally worthless (just that the resulting reconstituted solution probably wouldn't mix to the same measurable levels as it had prior to its drying). In fact, Royal Nature actually uses evaporated seawater as the base for their salt mix: http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/08/royal-nature-evaporated-seawater-aquarium-salt/

You can't believe what a seller of salt mix says. I certainly don't. There can't be much of any insoluble components in seawater, wet or dried. It just isn't physically possible. There may be the occasional unlucky fish that releases some oil, but that's it.

and that's the undesirable components, a few plankton dead bacteria and similar things.

They are taking about the chemistry of making a dry salt mix:

"When you add sodium chloride to water you do not have a sodium chloride solution, you have a solution of distinct hydrated sodium ions and distinct hydrated chloride ions. If you now add some magnesium sulfate, you have distinct sodium, magnesium, chloride, and sulfate ions. If you were to dry this mixture, you would not recover the original sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate, but a mixture of sodium chloride, magnesium sulfate, sodium sulfate, and magnesium chloride. If you were to add calcium chloride to the solution you would end up with a solution containing distinct sodium, magnesium, calcium, chloride, and sulfate. Depending on the ratio of chloride and sulfate ions, you could easily obtain a precipitate of calcium sulfate, which does not readily dissociate and is thus relatively insoluble. If you were to add some carbonate, you could easily get more precipitate as non-dissociable calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate."

That's not to say that reconstituting dried seawater would result in something totally worthless (just that the resulting reconstituted solution probably wouldn't mix to the same measurable levels as it had prior to its drying). In fact, Royal Nature actually uses evaporated seawater as the base for their salt mix: http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/08/royal-nature-evaporated-seawater-aquarium-salt/

if you had the water hot it would dissolve everything much quicker. Any salts the water had will still be there and can be redissolved quite easily.

if you had the water hot it would dissolve everything much quicker. Any salts the water had will still be there and can be redissolved quite easily.

Precipitates dissolve at lower pH levels not higher temperatures; and it's often recommended to mix salt at room temperature (versus heated).

Elevated temperature impacts calcium carbonate precipitation in two ways: 1) by simply reducing the solubility of CaCO3 (which is more soluble at lower temperatures) and 2) by causing the formation of additional carbonate from the bicarbonate in solution. These effects are roughly similar in magnitude, and are one of the reasons that pumps and heaters can be more rapidly coated with calcium carbonate precipitate than other objects in the same aquarium.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

Precipitates dissolve at lower pH levels not higher temperatures; and it's often recommended to mix salt at room temperature (versus heated).

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

that is quite unusual, any explanation chemically speaking of why? Usually warmer temperatures assist with dissolving, too hot though will lead to decomposition to certain compounds.

This is an irresponsible experimental idea and again, unethical. What is with you and trying to kill marine life for no reason?

As I said before if he was stressed or acting funny he could go home, but he was fine those other days so I figured it would be a cool and cheaper alternative, then the collapse of all the lifeforms in the jar began within a 24 hour period anemone died and melted, and over the following weeks the algae gradually died.

Archived