Innovative Marine Aquariums

rock salt man

amphipod

DON'T DO IT (yes I know I'm shouting). You'd be crazy to do something so cruel.

Cruel to algae and aiptasia? Chill out gramps, let the kid have some fun. He probably won't discovery anything new or exciting, but so what?

Kids today are way different than when I was a pup. We had real chemistry sets. We blew stuff up all the time! We did crazy stuff. We tried things just to see what happens. We learned. Now someone shows some spark of curiosity and a bunch of you come down hard. What are you all afraid of?

Oh, and amphipod, that was a total troll post and you deserve a bit of gruff for it. Perhaps next time come here and engage in a discussion about the proposed experiment and let us help you form your hypothosis. Also, do you plan to run a control too? You should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method#Process

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clear that amphipod spends way to much time squirreled away in his/her(doubt 'her' bc the girls on here are way too smart for these antics) room playing on the web pipe.

It's one thing to scientifically explore alternatives in our hobby, but you just do dumb stuff all willy nilly like an impulsive 14yo.

IMO, this attitude is what is wrong today. Kids should be encouraged to do dumb stuff willy-nilly!

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were just a couple kids messing around. Look where that got them!

I agree to a point. But this seems vaguely similar to burning ants with a magnifying glass, when a more proper experiment would be more fun and educational.

Alright, not like burning ants; maybe more like keeping lightning bugs in a mason jar.

I agree to a point. But this seems vaguely similar to burning ants with a magnifying glass, when a more proper experiment would be more fun and informational.

I didn't take it that way, and don't see anything analogous to burning ants in his post.

Who knows maybe he will stumble onto an effective aiptasia killer!

You never did crazy or dumb shit when you were a kid??..... He could be out getting beat into a gang, shooting someone, doing drugs.... so what if he kills some algae or pest anenomes that we all try to rid our systems of anyways.

I say go for it kiddo, worst that happens is some shit that woulda been killed intentionally by pretty much anyone else on this site dies anyway. :lol:

FWIW I used to use Prestone Driveway heat for the calcium portion of my DIY 2 part ;)

+ 1000 I could never have said it better myself.

Cruel to algae and aiptasia? Chill out gramps, let the kid have some fun. He probably won't discovery anything new or exciting, but so what?

Kids today are way different than when I was a pup. We had real chemistry sets. We blew stuff up all the time! We did crazy stuff. We tried things just to see what happens. We learned. Now someone shows some spark of curiosity and a bunch of you come down hard. What are you all afraid of?

Oh, and amphipod, that was a total troll post and you deserve a bit of gruff for it. Perhaps next time come here and engage in a discussion about the proposed experiment and let us help you form your hypothosis. Also, do you plan to run a control too? You should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method#Process

everyone knows a true experiment needs a control, there's no way I wouldn't have a control tank, every thing the same but the salt.

why are people saying killing the aptasia is cruel?

because they are being hypocritical, intentionally killing them is bad, but I'm testing it first on algaes which can't feel any pain.

because they are being hypocritical, intentionally killing them is bad, but I'm testing it first on algaes which can't feel any pain.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss they caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan (in a sobbing voice while my eyes tear up) :(

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WTF, I can't break up quotes anymore and now gonna limit the amount of smileys.... but I can say shit no problem? lol

It'll never work; well maybe for algae. If you live anywhere west of the rockies, I know exactly where that salt came from, the Bonneville salt flats. People have tried to use this salt with horrible results.

All sorts of heavy metals, runoff pollution and contaminates are in that salt. Basically imagine a catchall basin for all of the nasty water flowing thru Slat Lake City that is then reduced via evaporation and scooped up using bulldozers and front-end loaders

Soo sewage... You will be using sewage infused salt... You'll be elbow deep in my crap, enjoy

In for results.

Some of those ice melt salts have lots of magnesium in them too. You may need to add some calcium early on but other than that... Why not?

scottsdale454ss

I love the clamoring about harming aiptasia and algae lol.

Sounds interesting. im still waiting for the gravy feeding. I bet aiptasia will do fine in any kind of salt.

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were just a couple kids messing around. Look where that got them!

One is dead and the other is an international criminal?

One is dead and the other is an international criminal?

LOL! Yeah, so? We will all be dead at some point, and who wouldn't want to be a billionaire international criminal!

You just made my point. ;)

If you are old enough you may remember they started out back in the day selling the Blue Box (or was is Green Box), a device that allowed one to make a phone call for free! Quite illegal.

FWIW I used to use Prestone Driveway heat for the calcium portion of my DIY 2 part ;)

I agree let the kid have some fun, it's not like he bought a purple tang for his experiment tank to see if he can turn it yellow. I use pool pH up from Wal-Mart to raise the alkalinity in my tank. $7 and will last me the next 3 years of dosing.

Only because someone with a PhD in chemistry said it was likely safe and then proved by people with bigger balls than you and I to potentially lose thousands $$ testing it out. Farley has backpedaled a bit on his recommendations for using these ice melts as a supplement and I'm going to heed his warnings. I've used about half of a 5 gallon pale of dowflake in about 2 years on 130g vol of water. So to save $50 ($25 vs $75 for the same amount) over the course of 4 years is no longer worth it to me. I'll finish up the dowflake I have because I know it's good, but after that i'm going to change.

Here it is straight from Randy,

"As mentioned, it appears to be Prestone Driveway Heat, which used to be made from an anhydrous version of Dowflake and was fine to use. I don't know if that is still the case or not, and Dowflake now also has more bromide in it than it used it.

So it may be OK, but there is some risk with it."

"I would have more confidence in the material sold by BRS since it comes with a high "grade" (pharmaceutical grade). Dr Foster and Smith doesn't give a grade for their material, but it is "probably" OK (and is cheaper than BRS). In reality, they may all be the same, but the question is how much risk is it worth to you vs the price difference."

I did find a video claiming to have done this already.

Coolhandreefer

You never did crazy or dumb shit when you were a kid??..... He could be out getting beat into a gang, shooting someone, doing drugs.... so what if he kills some algae or pest anenomes that we all try to rid our systems of anyways.

I say go for it kiddo, worst that happens is some shit that woulda been killed intentionally by pretty much anyone else on this site dies anyway. :lol:

You've got me mistaken, I've done both crazy and dumb shit when I was a kid, unintentionally, I didn't know any better. At least some people here are telling him that its not worth the time and energy to even try this "experiment". I'm no scientist but it just doesn't make any sense to use rock salt in an aquarium, doesn't matter if its an aquarium full of algae or expensive inhabitants. Also, did you see his other "experiment"? Look up the thread "how bout some gravy". I don't know if he actually did it but he wanted to throw some expired chicken gravy into his tank to feed his filter feeders... Need I say more?

Only because someone with a PhD in chemistry said it was likely safe and then proved by people with bigger balls than you and I to potentially lose thousands $$ testing it out. Farley has backpedaled a bit on his recommendations for using these ice melts as a supplement and I'm going to heed his warnings. I've used about half of a 5 gallon pale of dowflake in about 2 years on 130g vol of water. So to save $50 ($25 vs $75 for the same amount) over the course of 4 years is no longer worth it to me. I'll finish up the dowflake I have because I know it's good, but after that i'm going to change.

I used it when it was still believed to have been acceptable (before they changed the ingredients) and never had any ill effects.... and I had thousands at stake in my 180 as well when I was using it. The only reason I stopped was because demand was stupid and I switched to a calcium reactor and a more hands off approach to dosing.... then I had a skimmer pump fry and crash the tank, maybe we shouldn't run skimmers they are potentially hazardous too?? LOL

You've got me mistaken, I've done both crazy and dumb shit when I was a kid, unintentionally, I didn't know any better. At least some people here are telling him that its not worth the time and energy to even try this "experiment". I'm no scientist but it just doesn't make any sense to use rock salt in an aquarium, doesn't matter if its an aquarium full of algae or expensive inhabitants. Also, did you see his other "experiment"? Look up the thread "how bout some gravy". I don't know if he actually did it but he wanted to throw some expired chicken gravy into his tank to feed his filter feeders... Need I say more?

So what, he has a curious mind..... strange sure but so what. There are definitely worse things he could be doing/ thinking about trying. He wants to potentially kill some algae and pests that we all wanna kill under any other circumstance I say go for it.... if it works great, if not darn :lol:

So what, I read somewhere that someone did a "study" that semen was good coral food and they went nuts for it? Personally I'd rather see pics of the kid feeding old gravy then blowin a load in his tank.

I mean seriously if this thread was about actually trying to kill this shit with rock salt you'd be all just use this or do this, instead you wanna give him shit because he wants to see if he can keep it alive. Its not gonna hurt you, or anyone else and if he does it and it lives good for him, if not no big deal something that any of us would have intentionally killed anyways died..... darn.

I love the clamoring about harming aiptasia and algae lol.

Sounds interesting. im still waiting for the gravy feeding. I bet aiptasia will do fine in any kind of salt.

I've the video finally uploaded, thank you for reminding me. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=xejOVJGfIciwggSHrYPIAQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DU5_IWX-MpqQ&ved=0CCUQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHo46y7hhA33PCmZh88XKYniEOabg

Archived