SaltCritters.com

rock salt man

amphipod

OMG he did it :wacko::lol::P:D LOL

Any ill effects?? It kinda looked like they might have ate some of it

might have ate some, I fed them butt loads of the crap, no I'll effects so far.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're like the weird kid in the back of the room shoving weird things in to an electrical socket while the rest of just wait to see how long it takes before we have to call the paramedics.

I do think its horrible that the aipstasia seem to eat the gravy... What will kill those things?!

You're like the weird kid in the back of the room shoving weird things in to an electrical socket while the rest of just wait to see how long it takes before we have to call the paramedics.

I do think its horrible that the aipstasia seem to eat the gravy... What will kill those things?!

they loved that gravy lol, maybe msg, chicken, and all the other things in gravy is good for them.

Also lol I was once tapping live wires together, the circuit breaker went off and I was in trouble

Also lol I was once tapping live wires together, the circuit breaker went off and I was in trouble

I change electrical outlets while they are live, its not that big of a deal. I've been zapped a few times, just move on to the next one :lol:

scottsdale454ss

I change electrical outlets while they are live, its not that big of a deal. I've been zapped a few times, just move on to the next one :lol:

Really wakes you up when you make a connection on something you thought was off lol

Really wakes you up when you make a connection on something you thought was off lol

I know they are on, I don't like to work in the dark or walk back and forth all the time shutting off breakers and trying to figure out which is which....

Being told they are off then getting zapped is annoying tho, I'd rather just know theres a chance and if I get zapped its my own fault for being a dumbass and touching 2 live wires at the same time lol

My control jar uses instant ocean reef crystals reef salt, alkalinity is significantly higher than rock salt

I don't think it will matter for algae but you could use a little baking soda as a buffer to up the alk. I'd dilute it in water and use very little at a time to up it if you do try it.

Copper is toxic. At low levels it will kill parasites and bacteria. It's a common treatment for such aquarium issues. It'll kill corals just about as fast. At high enough levels it will kill people.

This is why I'm so baffled by the use of copper in plumbing. Obviously we're not worse for wear with a century or more of regular use, but it still makes me nervous.

Well than I must need to keep a close eye on them polyps >_> hope its not too bad for them. If the aiptasia acts funny he goes back home.

Copper is toxic. At low levels it will kill parasites and bacteria. It's a common treatment for such aquarium issues. It'll kill corals just about as fast. At high enough levels it will kill people.

This is why I'm so baffled by the use of copper in plumbing. Obviously we're not worse for wear with a century or more of regular use, but it still makes me nervous.

better copper than lead lol

Just read an article on the salt lake in Utah. This will give you the facts you need without trying to reinvent the wheel. Brine flys and shrimp...... What could be more exciting?

Just read an article on the salt lake in Utah. This will give you the facts you need without trying to reinvent the wheel. Brine flys and shrimp...... What could be more exciting?

lol how coincidental, I have poured some brine shrimp eggs in the old mole crabs aquarium, hope they work out well. I've wondered now why don't we grow them in our tanks?
  • 4 weeks later...

OK I've waited a while just to be sure it is for sure bad. Everything dies including the algae, the algae turned to a gray cellulose skeleton, the aiptasia couldn't be saved, he literally melted to the floor of the tank. Lesson for all never ever use rock salt in an aquarium!

...the algae turned to a gray cellulose skeleton

It's only funny until the chuds get established.

You know, mutants created from the gray cellulose matter, which thrive on rock salt that is mixed to pristine levels.

Archived