ReefCleaners.org

da1001's dead tank update

da1001

Yea it's really a lot of things that could have gone wrong. I also didn't take into account room temperature and heat loss in my calculation, so I think it would've taken even longer for the tank to get so hot. I've thought about getting a cheap car dash cam and record my tanks 24/7. But as much as I wanted to know what killed my pets I also wanted to just move on.

I know I may sound like a heretic here, but if you're having a lot of things going on with life, have you thought about doing a FW in your 5G? You have all the equipments you need so you just need to get some $1 guppies and maybe a small algae eater. There's no prefixing saltwater, nitrate, phos, salinity, calcium, mag, alkalinity, lighting, gluing frags etc to worry about. And when they give birth to baby guppies, you'll understand why so many people haven't graduated to saltwater tanks yet. :)

I have run FW before and it was fun. There is something about all the colors of a reef though! But its not a bad idea. Since my AC70 is dead I would need a new power filter first though, along with FW specific substrate and then a bunch of plants for keeping algae low and a FW specific light for it...might be easier to build a cheap 2x4 stand and just grab a 10 or 20long instead and do it FW for a year or so until I could afford to jump back into SW. So either option is still somewhat pricy at the moment but that wasn't something I had thought about, thanks dandelion

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just tossed a bristlenose Pleco in and feed him zucchini every week. My phos is through the roof (Coz I was stupid and used a phosphate buffer when I started) and I have no algae problem :D Only maintenance I keep is a 10% WC every week, and the waste water was used to irrigate my tomatoes during the summer.

Anyways I hope you're feeling better now!

Archived