Pod Your Reef

da1001's dead tank update

da1001

Oh man, that's a great reminder. I had my chalice on the sand bed all by itself, but a couple weeks ago I moved it closer to one of the rocks. I totally forgot about those sweeper tentacles, but your'e absolutely right.

They tend to come out more when the chalice is doing well, but I've also noticed that if it gets close enough to touch another coral with them, then it tends to suddenly start growing them much faster and longer so it can kill whatever it found.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up guys, I will definitely keep a closer watch on it from now on! Soon as I see tentacles, pop! On to the sandbed it goes where there is literally nothing around it for 5 inches if I stick it in the front corner :)

Cleaned the tank today, re-glued the zoa frag down (AGAIN!) used superglue this time instead of reef putty. No sign of the YWG, the mind blower zoa's have gone from 2 heads to 6 heads and crazy over there on the zoa rock. Stunner chalice still growing like a baws. Went to check on the LFS having peppermint shrimp, they were out until Wednesday but he is ordering a dozen and will hold one for me until the weekend so I can grab it and finally kill all this damn aptasia the natural way. Probably get a FTS for you soon but the lights just went out as I was typing this.

Awesome! Ever since I started using superglue out of the water, I've never needed to use epoxy. Looking forward to the FTS and the peppermint shrimp :)

Well, not the best pics in the world but here they are nonetheless, here is the FTS:

DSC_0001_5.jpg

Here is the mind blowers, keep in mind the color isn't as good as in real life :)

DSC_0005_3.jpg

And finally a shot of the chalice, and on the top left a shot of the Ric, it is finally growing down onto the rock and slowly getting larger:

DSC_0007_4.jpg

Apparently there was a "miscommunication" and the guy I spoke to on the phone Tuesday meant either the Wednesday after the one he told me or he forgot to order them, but there were no peppermint shrimp when I went to the fish store Friday night. These 50 hour weeks are slowly killing me and its not helping when this happens too. Drove 20 miles for nothing.

Oh, and the damn zoa frag came loose from the rock again even though I had superglued it this time. Its sitting on the sandbed again. The damn Aptasia is nearly killing the Sunny D's by slowly stinging them to death, but there's nothing I can do.

Got him! The LFS was kind enough to toss in a snail so he had something to grasp on the bumpy ride home. He seems happy waving away in there matching the wave action. No idea if he is going after the Aptasia yet since the light is still off today, but here's hoping!

DSC_0001_6.jpg

Have you resolved your ato issue? I notice the ATO bucket is too small. I have same ATO and it happen to me once when the water level is a little below the tip of the pump. I think it was cause by air bubble trapping in the pump body and unable to pump water into the tank. Since tunze has saftey feature which will stop the pump after 1.8 minute until reset it properly the ATO will stop working when this happen.

I have had no issues with this once I started checking the reservoir every 3 days to keep it properly topped up. I think you are right in that the water had gotten too low once in the reservoir so it was sucking in air and causing all sorts of problems. So far everything is doing fine now as far as I can tell, its just in growth mode I don't think I will be adding more to it for awhile. I think the shrimp has been hard at work. Now that the light is on, I have been looking around and I seem to be missing the large aptasia I had as well as a few smaller ones. I see maybe 3-4 left on the rockwork itself and several on the frag plug of the Sunny D's but overall I think I am missing close to a third of them already. I love that little guy already.

Have you resolved your ato issue? I notice the ATO bucket is too small. I have same ATO and it happen to me once when the water level is a little below the tip of the pump. I think it was cause by air bubble trapping in the pump body and unable to pump water into the tank. Since tunze has saftey feature which will stop the pump after 1.8 minute until reset it properly the ATO will stop working when this happen.

Greek mythology? Greatest slayer of monsters? Really? No?

Oh, I know where its from. It's just that I think someone else already has that name taken on the forums for one of their fish already and he doesn't seem like a slayer of monsters to me. Maybe I shall call him Wavy, since I always seem him waving back and forth. :P

So we now have Wavy, LT 2.0 and if he still lives...Skinny Pete. Honestly I was hoping the YWG would see "a shrimp" and come out to investigate, but no dice. But my tank parameters have stayed the same so far too, so I don't think? he died?

You never know! Have you checked the back chambers in case he got back there somehow?

You deserve TOTM just for the fish names :lol:

Maybe someday teeny! I would be a lot better if I didn't have to work so much. That reminds me, I am going in early for the next week and a half because they gave me a new job when another associate decided to switch departments so its learning job duties week for me!

Caught Wavy hopping from rock to rock in the tank tonight heading towards the biggest breakout of aptasia that I have left in my tank. It's in my Sunny D's big time, I gave him a nod and told him: Go get em, son. If he obliterates those, there are only a few small ones left to clean up and then the tank is beautiful again, other than the algae and those brown worm things I cant think of the name of right now. (I just finished riding 15 miles on the bike, I cant remember anything right now).

Edit: it was flatworms I was trying to remember, haha

Well, other than a small half dead Aptasia right at the sandbed on the very farthest back zoa rock...the tank is clean. There is not a single Aptasia left alive on the sunny d's, Wavy sure did his damn job last night. Hats off to the little bugger.

Archived