Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

da1001's dead tank update

da1001

WOW! I love the frag of "I don't know what's"!!!

You need to get that onto some rock so it can spread :)

I have it stuck on that little outcropping that sticks out below and to the right of the torch on the front of the large rock. The other one is between the other two zoa's on the zoa rock. Here is hoping they like where I put them. :)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was cruising the forums and saw some Radioactive Dragon's Eye zoa's in another members tank. Kinda look like the ones I have that I am unsure of. Anyone agree?

Pretty sure the YWG went carpet surfing and then the cat ate it. I cant find it anywhere and the clownfish is swimming the entire tank again. When I had the YWG, he would always chill near it like they were buddies. I have checked every nook, cranny, the floor, behind the tank, in the AIO chambers, under the rock. Nothing. It's been a crappy day to say the least. This is one of those things that really gets to me and makes me wonder why I continue in the hobby, I don't know why it depresses me so much but it does. I feel like that old saying: "this is why you cant have nice things". - Grumpy and tired.

Sorry about your goby :(

Thanks, kimberbee.

This weeks changes: Yanked the Pico Skim off. It was working fine but I just decided it was too much maintenance for a part that I don't really need considering my tank size. 25% weekly water changes should take care of that. Need to glue down my 2 new Zoas, the snails keep flipping them upside down from the rock onto my sand bed. Seriously considering taking the last crab back and going snail-only cleaning crew and even possibly buying some more nassarius from reefcleaners for better sandbed stirring action so I don't have to do it as much myself. Work is getting bad in the way of having free time, the hours are long. YWG is still MIA, im 99% sure he took a set of failed flying lessons and then the cat ate him.

I need to find a smaller tool to help me scrape the gunk out of the back AIO chambers. I would love thoughts on that.

I am also considering either a Koralia Nano or a Jebao WP4. I would like comments on that as well since I have never used either of them. I am wanting more flow to clear up the little floaties I am getting in my water by making sure they flow through my filter floss and don't sit too low in the water column to ever get cleaned up. I am going to stick with the corals and fish I have now, too much depression imaging more crap dying on me atm.

Mike Savage

I was cruising the forums and saw some Radioactive Dragon's Eye zoa's in another members tank. Kinda look like the ones I have that I am unsure of. Anyone agree?

Yes they are Radio Active Dragon Eyes!

• 2 weeks later...

Skinny Pete has been found! (The YWG) I don't know where the hell he was hiding, I don't know how he is still alive. Went to shift the sand around really good by hand since I was getting ready for the weekly cleaning. All of a sudden I see him floating near the surface, alive and kicking. Got about 6 floating pellets in him before he sank back down to the bottom. I think it was mostly because the clownfish scared him when it started gobbling them up too, even though I had fed him not even an hour earlier. Well, now that I know he is still alive, I will start squirting food into the cracks and crevices in the rocks too when I feed the clownfish if I don't see him out in the open. I can then squirt out whatever is left with my turkey baster later after he has had the chance to eat his fill, hopefully get it in the water column and into my filter floss so I can take out some of the nitrates hopefully. Other than that, everything is alive although the damn zoa frag I bought recently keeps getting knocked clean off the reef putty. I will glue it back again later. For now its sitting on the rockwork or the sand depending on what the snails and crabs do with it.

So glad to hear he's alive! That's one of my favorite things in this hobby: finding fish that you've given up for dead :)

So glad to hear he's alive! That's one of my favorite things in this hobby: finding fish that you've given up for dead :)

I seriously had. When I saw him I was like wtf! Now he has disappeared again after I took my shower this morning although I see a sort of depression in the sand behind the rockwork. I think he might be hiding up in there although I cant know for sure since I peeked in but didn't see him. I will keep the arctipods flowing towards the back wall while fatarse the clownfish gobbles his pellets at the top to hopefully fatten him up and get him wanting to come out again.

Well, he has gone back into hiding again. Problem is, I cant find him anywhere so I am not really sure where to spot-feed. :wacko:

I am seeing some growth on my stunner chalice, but its not as pretty as it was under the LFS's Radeon XR 30's. It still has some of the yellow spots, but they are smaller than they were. Growth around the edges can be seen though as they are no longer bandsaw 90 degree cuts but are turning into wavy edges so I am happy about that at least.

The Ric isn't growing. It isn't dying, but its not really doing anything at all. It just sits there. Sort of annoyed about that, I was hoping that once I attached to the rock it would start growing out and get larger again like it was before.

Everything else is about the same. Nothing new with them. I do need to go back through with the Joe's Juice again though, I keep finding tiny aptasia all over the place. Aptasia-Free guarantee from Marine Depot's Dry Live Rock my a**! :(

Marine Depot

Everything else is about the same. Nothing new with them. I do need to go back through with the Joe's Juice again though, I keep finding tiny aptasia all over the place. Aptasia-Free guarantee from Marine Depot's Dry Live Rock my a**! :(

Hi da1001,

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear about the rock. Can you let us know which of the rock you purchase from us? The AquaMaxx Eco-Rock is couriered from land, so it would be impossible for that rock to have aiptasia. The AquaMaxx Fiji Premium Rock (which is the one that we are guessing you purchased) is first cleaned than dried. Once dried, it actually spends 3+ months in storage and transit on its way to us. There are small crevices in liverock; however, when it reaches us it is completely dry. To the best of our knowledge, no life aside from dormant bacterial spores is able to survive out of the water for 3 months. In our testing and in our experience for selling this rock for the past year, we have not seen any life on this rock at all.

In our own experiences, aiptasia is often introduced via corals added to the tank. It may have been just a tiny pin-head sized aiptasia on the coral itself (often on the underside), on the rock attached to the coral, or on the frag plug.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Well, I wanted to extend a sincere apology to Marine Depot. I actually meant Bulk Reef Supply, I purchased their dry live rock and not yours. They also lost my ccard info and nearly cost me $600 in fraudulent charges. It has been a hell of a week, all I can think of is that I am running on too little sleep and too much work and typed your name in by accident. For that, I apologize.

It was indeed! In regards to the aptasia being introduced via the corals, that's where I probably got some of it but I know that I had it growing on the rocks even before I started adding corals so that's why I blame the rocks for having it too. No matter how many times I juice the tank there always seems to be one more popping up elsewhere and they are looking rather large since I haven't had the chance to clean the tank as well as I wanted to lately. There have been coworkers out the past two weeks and coworkers out the next two weeks and all I have time for is to top off the ATO and do my 1x weekly water change and sand-sift and I am out the door and at work again covering for their absences. Its really tough work right now. Speak of the devil, its time to go to work again. I will update as I can.

Hope things calm down for you soon. Maybe see if you can get a couple of good peppermint shrimp for those aiptasia. I got one a few months ago and haven't seen one of those little buggers since.

Marine Depot

Well, I wanted to extend a sincere apology to Marine Depot. I actually meant Bulk Reef Supply.

No worries! Echoing Slowtwitch's sentiments, we hope things settle down a bit for ya and thanks so much for the thoughtful response. :grouphug:

Hope things calm down for you soon. Maybe see if you can get a couple of good peppermint shrimp for those aiptasia. I got one a few months ago and haven't seen one of those little buggers since.

I have been on the lookout for one but no luck yet. They get them in at my LFS and they are all sold in about 10 minutes. Now they sometimes have a harlequin shrimp, but I don't think I have enough Asterina's to keep it from starving after a few weeks. I think I only have 3-4 at any one time before they get sucked into the rear chambers and I accidentally throw them away in my weekly filter floss change.

So skinny pete disappeared again. No idea where he went. Picked up all the rock-work, checked all the crevices. Nowhere to be found. So I cant target feed him like I wanted to. Since he doesnt want to come out I guess he will eventually die. :( In all the turmoil of moving things around, I accidentally snapped a small piece off my digi so I quickly superglued it to the rockwork. I don't know if it will pull through but it is putting out some of its polyps so we shall see. Finally got the zoa frag glued down (again). Everything is doing ok, especially the aptasia so as soon as I have time I will try to hunt down a peppermint shrimp in this friggin town. Work has me doing boatloads of overtime lately though, money is money but no time to do anything else at the moment. Oh well.

Lots of online suppliers stock peppermint, cheap. Maybe combine with something else you want to ease shipping cost. Then you don't have to spend the time searching. That's what I've been doing lately since my LFS has started limiting what they will carry. They want to become a special order type business. Sucks

I have thought about that before Slowtwitch, but with my current schedule I wouldn't have time to stay home for a day for my package to arrive and since its usually in the 95 range most days I worry that they little guy would croak on my doorstep until I could get home. Not only would it be a potential waste of money which I hate but I don't want to torture the little guy by slowly cooking him in a water filled box while I am at work. my work doesn't really accept deliveries to the office either so I am kinda between a rock and a hard place when it comes to finding one of these.

Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Would a neighbor be able to receive a package for you? At least then it wouldn't be sitting outside....

The one neighbor is always traveling for work, the other one works nights and is asleep while I am at work all day. :/ Its ok, I can find some time soon to go down to the LFS I hope, I will just call ahead and make sure they hold one for me. They probably will, I drop hundreds of dollars in there, they know me by now.

reefernanoman

So skinny pete disappeared again. No idea where he went. Picked up all the rock-work, checked all the crevices. Nowhere to be found. So I cant target feed him like I wanted to. Since he doesnt want to come out I guess he will eventually die. :( In all the turmoil of moving things around, I accidentally snapped a small piece off my digi so I quickly superglued it to the rockwork. I don't know if it will pull through but it is putting out some of its polyps so we shall see. Finally got the zoa frag glued down (again). Everything is doing ok, especially the aptasia so as soon as I have time I will try to hunt down a peppermint shrimp in this friggin town. Work has me doing boatloads of overtime lately though, money is money but no time to do anything else at the moment. Oh well.

Two things: For your YWMG to stop hiding, you would probably need a candy pistol shrimp. I had a hollywood stunner and regret getting it because it was very aggressive with its huge sweeper tentacles. It loves to kill SPS like the one you got right next to it, so heads up.

Two things: For your YWMG to stop hiding, you would probably need a candy pistol shrimp. I had a hollywood stunner and regret getting it because it was very aggressive with its huge sweeper tentacles. It loves to kill SPS like the one you got right next to it, so heads up.

the stunner chalice? I haven't seen any tentacles out on it since I got it...I might need to check on that some night. Weird, I didn't even think of that! weird thing is its the only thing with visible growth on it atm, it started taking off about 2 weeks ago. Getting thicker and wider at an impressive rate for a coral

reefernanoman

the stunner chalice? I haven't seen any tentacles out on it since I got it...I might need to check on that some night. Weird, I didn't even think of that! weird thing is its the only thing with visible growth on it atm, it started taking off about 2 weeks ago. Getting thicker and wider at an impressive rate for a coral

Chalices are very deceptive! They look peaceful and inert, but don't be fooled. I didn't notice them either until one day when I saw them! They come out of every mouth, which are many. They are very long too. The tentacles would actually "stick" to my poor sunset monti. It turned it completely white where it attacked it. Oh yeah, and it was doing it even during the day.

Archived