Cultivated Reef

65gallons of ocean *Light hanger*

Smithjm5

So I finally ordered a return. I ended up going with the tunze silent 107.3 it pushes around 792gph and is adjustable. And it's supposedly pretty quiet. Anyway should be here tomorrow, and the tank and plumbing will be leak tested Sunday! Anyone running this pump or have in the past?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the pump and installed it, but now I have to go to work :angry: Hopefully I can fill it up tonight and test everything for leaks, if not tomorrow afternoon!

16247847385_dda8e5a2bc.jpg15625420054_4369ff0cd3.jpg

Boom she's running with no leaks!

16249173401_0fabb08fa1_c.jpg

One question the system is really pretty quiet equipment wise(Return pump, Skimmer, drain) But the return standpipe has a little hole drilled in it at the top of the return that water flows out of, and it's above the water level so it's really loud. Is there a way to quiet it down? What's the purpose of the hole? Thanks!

15628175324_c945616d94.jpg

*EDIT*

So I found a temporary/maybe permanent solution haha, I just took a piece of pipe cleaner and stuck it in the hole, noise is now gone! It still allows water to come through but it doesn't smack the water now!

Congrats, that all came together quick, I can't believe it's wet already. I need to stop bs ING and get mine wet already.

Cool deal on the no leaks as well! Not sure what hole you are talking about but it could be acting as a syphon break. Have you stimulated a power outage yet, to check how much back flow into the sump you get?

Congrats, that all came together quick, I can't believe it's wet already. I need to stop bs ING and get mine wet already.

Cool deal on the no leaks as well! Not sure what hole you are talking about but it could be acting as a syphon break. Have you stimulated a power outage yet, to check how much back flow into the sump you get?

It didn't seem fast to me lol, but thanks. And yea I figured out it was the siphon break like you said but the pipe cleaner silenced it so I'll have to keep an eye on that and see if it lasts. And yea I unplugged the return and I'm good to go on sump space, have about 3 or so inches of extra room after it all flows back into the sump. Now I just need to get the rest of my equipment and order my rock. :happy:

Boom she's running with no leaks!

16249173401_0fabb08fa1_c.jpg

One question the system is really pretty quiet equipment wise(Return pump, Skimmer, drain) But the return standpipe has a little hole drilled in it at the top of the return that water flows out of, and it's above the water level so it's really loud. Is there a way to quiet it down? What's the purpose of the hole? Thanks!

15628175324_c945616d94.jpg

*EDIT*

So I found a temporary/maybe permanent solution haha, I just took a piece of pipe cleaner and stuck it in the hole, noise is now gone! It still allows water to come through but it doesn't smack the water now!

Congrats! Everything looks great. And I have no idea what the hole is for. Good luck with that! Seems like you found a fix for it though.

That is your syphon break. You could look at moding it with a bit of airline connector/elbow. Fit the elbow so its just touching the surface of the water so the water jetting out isn't splashing, but as soon as it starts draining back the elbow is exposed to air breaking the syphon.

That is your syphon break. You could look at moding it with a bit of airline connector/elbow. Fit the elbow so its just touching the surface of the water so the water jetting out isn't splashing, but as soon as it starts draining back the elbow is exposed to air breaking the syphon.

Thanks I figured it out last night, it's silent now!

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had some set backs with the tank so it's going to be longer than I wanted before I get everything up and running but I'd thought I let you know I'm still working on this thing haha. Anyway I decided to use some electric conduit pipe to make a light hanger, still have to paint it and drill the holes for the cables and kessils but anyway here it is!

If you look in the picture it looks a little off level but once the weight of the lights are on there it will pull it down leveling it out!

16217422260_9fa875d737_c.jpg

16218913317_f7487e3e93_c.jpg

Looks slick

Thanks man it seemed like the best way to go with this one, it'll be even cleaner once I paint it black B) I want to get this tank running so bad haha

Archived