Cultivated Reef

65gallons of ocean *Light hanger*

Smithjm5

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call Proline maybe. They are very helpful.

Just talked to BRS and they said they weren't sure why Vertex includes it. Said they sometimes use it extend the skimmate cup drain/plug. But isn't needed.

So I decided to try and save some money and just make my own sump, so I got a 20L and de-rimmed it, leak testing it now and I ordered the baffles from Tap Plastics so hopefully I can finish it by next weekend!

15830446859_6784f5eaff.jpg

Are you sure you'll need 2 RW-8's?

I've just filled my 36x24x22 (75g) and currently have 1 RW-4. I got it for a steal off amazon (£38.99) but couldn't spend out on 2 at the time (bloody Christmas). The 4 is surprisingly powerful, I can see fine sand particles shifting on the far side of the tank with just this one running.

This one is placed 2 3rds down on the end of the tank pointing slightly up as I intend to have the second up high 1 3rd down next to the weir.

The tank is 3 sides viewable so everything is going on the back end. I'm toying with getting an RW-8 as my second unit, but I think it will be to much as while I have a lot of sps it will all be at the end nearest the pumps anyway and I'll have nice flow for the lps the far end with 2 4's.

When does the main tank arrive? I'm eager to see the tank/stand setup. Don't forget to update your sig!

I'll be going to pick up the tank tomorrow afternoon, but the stand is out of state at my grand father's workshop, I'll be going down there next week for Christmas and add some finishing touches and bring it back with me then.

Haha I will!

Are you sure you'll need 2 RW-8's?

I've just filled my 36x24x22 (75g) and currently have 1 RW-4. I got it for a steal off amazon (£38.99) but couldn't spend out on 2 at the time (bloody Christmas). The 4 is surprisingly powerful, I can see fine sand particles shifting on the far side of the tank with just this one running.

This one is placed 2 3rds down on the end of the tank pointing slightly up as I intend to have the second up high 1 3rd down next to the weir.

The tank is 3 sides viewable so everything is going on the back end. I'm toying with getting an RW-8 as my second unit, but I think it will be to much as while I have a lot of sps it will all be at the end nearest the pumps anyway and I'll have nice flow for the lps the far end with 2 4's.

I haven't actually purchased them yet so I'm still debating, I'm thinking I'll probably end up getting the 35W Gyre whenever that's released... Until then I might just pick up a rw-4 to have some flow in the tank.

Yeah those Gyre's look interesting. Not so sure on the all one direction flow though. Make for great circulation if placed behind a LR wall etc, but to get nice movement on LPS I don't think you'll beat the new controllered power heads like vortec and jebao. Being able to pulse the flow is what livens the tank up.

My opinon mind, will be happy to be proved wrong if they do turn out to be an all in one solution.

Good start...following

Thanks

Yeah those Gyre's look interesting. Not so sure on the all one direction flow though. Make for great circulation if placed behind a LR wall etc, but to get nice movement on LPS I don't think you'll beat the new controllered power heads like vortec and jebao. Being able to pulse the flow is what livens the tank up.

My opinon mind, will be happy to be proved wrong if they do turn out to be an all in one solution.

I think you can still have it pulse if I'm not mistaken or at least change the flow up, but if not I'll have an extra rw-4. We'll see soon.

So I went to pick up the tank earlier today since they told me over Facebook that it had arrived, so I drove the 30 minutes to the store and get there and the tell them I'm here to pick up my 65 gallon tank, and the guy says the owner we'll be back in like thirty minutes and he'll know where it is. (they're in the process of moving stores so their stuff is scattered around) So I wait and the owner comes in and hops on the phone for about another 10 minutes before he finally gets off and tells me that the tank didn't come in with the order and it won't be in until Tuesday (I'll be out of town until next Saturday) Sooo no tank until then. Awesome haha. <_<

Deleted User 8

Tanks here, this joker is no nano! Really underestimated how big this thing is in person!

I'll never have another tank that I can't touch the bottom of or need a step stool to do so! Looks like you got both.

Nice tank though! The stand will sure be plenty. I think you could fill the tank with lead and the stand would hold it no problem. No, really, I think you could pour lead in there--hold on, I'm running the math in my head, uhhmm, 65 gallons...carry the one...two decimals over...divided by...yep, your good even if you filled it with lead! :D

Buzz

I'll never have another tank that I can't touch the bottom of or need a step stool to do so! Looks like you got both.

Nice tank though! The stand will sure be plenty. I think you could fill the tank with lead and the stand would hold it no problem. No, really, I think you could pour lead in there--hold on, I'm running the math in my head, uhhmm, 65 gallons...carry the one...two decimals over...divided by...yep, your good even if you filled it with lead! :D

Buzz

Haha, I'm a pretty tall guy so luckily I have really long arms but I have to tippy-toe it lol!

And yea the stand was super overkill but it was my first time building anything bigger than a bird house, so I wasn't sure lol :lol:

Finished the sump, took a lot more work then I would of guessed, but I think it came out okay!

16108307926_ccd29564e5_z.jpg

I got the stand primed the day before yesterday, and got the top coat color picked out but it was raining today so I hope to get the first coat of paint on tomorrow! Progress!

looks great man will keep on the look out. Thinking of sump idea one day of my life or moving up to a 90g drilled

Thanks man, appreciate it. The sump wasn't easy but now that I'm done with it I'm pretty happy with it, and the 90G are a sweet tank size!

That sump is beyond cool and you DIYed it? You'll love having a sump. What's going to be in it?

Thanks! And yea, I took a 20L and de-rimmed it. For now it's just going to be my vertex skimmer and a sicce return pump. I'll prob add a reactor or two eventually when needed.

Thanks! And yea, I took a 20L and de-rimmed it. For now it's just going to be my vertex skimmer and a sicce return pump. I'll prob add a reactor or two eventually when needed.

I say you should overkill it with all the bells and whistles. Haha I enjoy looking at my sump just as much as the tank

Haha, If it wasn't for NR I probably wouldn't even care too much sense no one would see it lol, But I'll try and keep it "presentable" :lol:

First coat is drying, We're getting there folks haha!

16149651482_e8d8479e39.jpg

So I decided to try and save some money and just make my own sump, so I got a 20L and de-rimmed it, leak testing it now and I ordered the baffles from Tap Plastics so hopefully I can finish it by next weekend!

15830446859_6784f5eaff.jpg

I've tried de-rimming myself and it was quite difficult. What process did you use? Hot knife?

I've tried de-rimming myself and it was quite difficult. What process did you use? Hot knife?

Just used a heat gun and it peeled right off, the hard part was getting all the silicone off.

So the stand is officially done, and tank has been leak tested omgomgomgomgomgomg Now I just have to get the plumbing done and get the rest of my equipment together.

15976414217_e1549285bb_z.jpg

16160117741_d134f81dd1_z.jpg

16160278851_a910b8e0c0_z.jpg

16136391146_89a1dc601e_z.jpg

snailflipper
So the stand is officially done, and tank has been leak tested omgomgomgomgomgomg Now I just have to get the plumbing done and get the rest of my equipment together.

15976414217_e1549285bb_z.jpg

16160117741_d134f81dd1_z.jpg

16160278851_a910b8e0c0_z.jpg

16136391146_89a1dc601e_z.jpg

Yay! Tank is huge. What do you hope to put in there as far as livestock?

Archived