inTank Media Baskets

65gallons of ocean *Light hanger*

Smithjm5

Yay! Tank is huge. What do you hope to put in there as far as livestock?

Yea the things a beast! I know it'll end up a mixed reef, but I want to focus mostly on sps. And then I have a lot of different ideas for fish!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I'm really excited to get it going, but I'm on a budget too so I have to take it slow which kills me because I'm not very patient lol. But I wanna make sure I do this tank right!

Things are moving along great- sump is AWESOME! great job on that - thanks for the tap plastic idea- where did you get the holder for your socks?

Things are moving along great- sump is AWESOME! great job on that - thanks for the tap plastic idea- where did you get the holder for your socks?

Thanks man, the holder was also made from tap plastics, it's three separate pieces I glue/siliconed together, then I took a hole saw to it for the socks. It came out pretty good but I then found out that my LFS sold the exact sock holder I was building pre-made :furious: haha

Thanks man, the holder was also made from tap plastics, it's three separate pieces I glue/siliconed together, then I took a hole saw to it for the socks. It came out pretty good but I then found out that my LFS sold the exact sock holder I was building pre-made :furious: haha

Haha! That's awesome , oh well - I thought yours was a premade piece. I am designing a sump right now too so this is very helpful?

Haha! That's awesome , oh well - I thought yours was a premade piece. I am designing a sump right now too so this is very helpful

I wish it was pre-made lol, but yea this was my first sump too. I got a lot of help from some of the guys on here and they were telling me it's a lot easier for maintenance to not have the socks directly under the drain, this way switching them out isn't as messy so I basically went on Advanced acrylics website and copied one their $400+ dollar sumps, all in all it ended up being about $85 to build + some tools I didn't have already.

So I just finished the plumbing (pretty much haha) now I just need to get my return pump, and we'll be liquefied B)

I went with a really simple set-up on this no valves of any kind, just straight pipe plumbing, and the return pump will be connected to some vinyl tubing which will hopefully keep things quiet, and no I'm not worried about the return line flooding if the power goes out since I have plenty of extra space in the sump for overflowed water. Feels great getting this all wrapped up!

15579536503_2cbbd10d21.jpg

Need to clean that sump lol, looks gross under the flash

16011873708_237779d001.jpg

snailflipper

So I just finished the plumbing (pretty much haha) now I just need to get my return pump, and we'll be liquefied B)

I went with a really simple set-up on this no valves of any kind, just straight pipe plumbing, and the return pump will be connected to some vinyl tubing which will hopefully keep things quiet, and no I'm not worried about the return line flooding if the power goes out since I have plenty of extra space in the sump for overflowed water. Feels great getting this all wrapped up!

15579536503_2cbbd10d21.jpg

Need to clean that sump lol, looks gross under the flash

16011873708_237779d001.jpg

Looks good! You might already know this but I'd definitely support the overflow line going into your sump. Doesn't look like you did that yet and I would also highly suggest putting atleast ball valves on both the lines. Helps a lot during water changes. I basically cut both the inflow/outflow then replace the water in the main display to the correct level. It also helps in fine tuning the system to keep it quiet. But this is just my opinion and is your tank!

Edit: now that I'm looking at the pics again im not sure which line is which but I'd support the one going across the sump!

Looks good! You might already know this but I'd definitely support the overflow line going into your sump. Doesn't look like you did that yet and I would also highly suggest putting atleast ball valves on both the lines. Helps a lot during water changes. I basically cut both the inflow/outflow then replace the water in the main display to the correct level. It also helps in fine tuning the system to keep it quiet. But this is just my opinion and is your tank!

Edit: now that I'm looking at the pics again im not sure which line is which but I'd support the one going across the sump!

Yea I plan on supporting the return line somehow just not sure yet haha, and I didn't think about the turning the water off for water changes I might add one, at least on the drain, couldn't I just kill the return pump's power for the return line though?

snailflipper
Yea I plan on supporting the return line somehow just not sure yet haha, and I didn't think about the turning the water off for water changes I might add one, at least on the drain, couldn't I just kill the return pump's power for the return line though?

Once you cut the power to the return pump it'll act like the overflow. Water will drain down the return line and into your sump until the water level is below the return line bulkhead. Though it looks like your return line is higher than your overflow so you shouldn't have to worry about it besides the water already in your return line. Hope that makes sense.

Once you cut the power to the return pump it'll act like the overflow. Water will drain down the return line and into your sump until the water level is below the return line bulkhead. Though it looks like your return line is higher than your overflow so you shouldn't have to worry about it besides the water already in your return line. Hope that makes sense.

Hmm you make a good point lol, time to bust out the pipe cutters lol

Alright as advised by my buddy Snailflipper I added two ball valves to help cut the water when doing water changes and other maintenance, it just happens to match my vertex skimmer which is cool too haha! B)

15586603833_d9549233c0.jpg16020638997_6a8905c69c.jpg

Looks like you are ready for water. You'll probably need to be patient with that skimmer. i have the same model and it took me about 4 weeks to get it where I want it.

Looks like you are ready for water. You'll probably need to be patient with that skimmer. i have the same model and it took me about 4 weeks to get it where I want it.

Yup, just need to get my return pump. And yea I keep hearing that from other vertex owners, hopefully it wont take that long lol. What did you do to break yours in? Some people told me vinegar bath and others said just run it wide open for 24 hours with the lid off.

I didn't have a container large enough to do a vinegar bath so just ran it wide open for a day. I still get a few micro bubbles escaping but should be able to deal with those with a couple of sump/return mods.

Looking good! Can't wait to see it stocked up! I'm going to follow along!

Thanks, me too haha

Also to anyone reading this, I still haven't ordered my return pump yet. I was hoping I could find a used one so if you have a Sicce 3.0 you want to get rid of let me know!

Thanks, me too haha

Also to anyone reading this, I still haven't ordered my return pump yet. I was hoping I could find a used one so if you have a Sicce 3.0 you want to get rid of let me know!

You are stronger than me. I would be ready to throw anything in there just to get it going.

You are stronger than me. I would be ready to throw anything in there just to get it going.

Lol I think it's more of a being broke thing than anything else haha :lol:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/352037-clean-out-sale/?fromsearch=1

He might still have the Sicce 3.0. It's $65.

I almost bought it from him last week but it's missing some of the pieces so I decided not to, thanks though!

snailflipper

Alright as advised by my buddy Snailflipper I added two ball valves to help cut the water when doing water changes and other maintenance, it just happens to match my vertex skimmer which is cool too haha! B)

15586603833_d9549233c0.jpg16020638997_6a8905c69c.jpg

Glad I could help! I also am ready to see this thing up and running! ?

Glad I could help! I also am ready to see this thing up and running!

Me too trust me haha, hopefully I can at least get some water running through it this weekend to make sure I don't have any leaks in the plumbing!

Archived