Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nidding's drop - gone soft

nidding

Exactly. I believe that for a small drop off like this, that is by far the easiest way to build this. For big drops, the wasted space might become an issue. For me it's not really an issue.

I was just telling my fiancé the other day that it was one of my favorite setups right after a cube I had thought about building a small drop off in my Nuvo 30L before I started it but just left it alone. Will be following this post for sure keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always thought it would be interesting to make a reef safe decoration for inside the tank. Maybe stick to the inside of the glass or put something in the sand bed I don't know. Just thought something like that would be funny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
wow.such.chris

Super awesome build man. Nice work with the pictures too, everything looks great. I like how you're filling in space with those zooanthids. Really seems like your sps is taking off too!

Do you have any pictures of the build process? Like pix of putting in the glass dropoff.

Super awesome build man. Nice work with the pictures too, everything looks great. I like how you're filling in space with those zooanthids. Really seems like your sps is taking off too!

Do you have any pictures of the build process? Like pix of putting in the glass dropoff.

Thanks a lot :)

To be perfectly honest, the tank's future has been hanging by a thread the last couple of days, as I've been really tempted to switch to a full blown seagrass tank. But I think the urge has settled and that project will have to wait a few year.

But yeah, overall the tank is maturing slowly and the overall health looks better.

The only pic I have from the build process is this one

15648044608_3100e55a1d_o.jpgDSC_0416 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

As can be seen, it's just some glass baffles I glued into a regular tank. So it's actually quite an easy build.

Is that a bicolor blenny? Love those little things. Keep up the great work man! BTW how long has this tank been setup for?

Yep. Lovely little fish with a great, grumpy "personality". Unfortunately my fish is a coral nipper. It's not that bad, but from time it does manage to piss off a coral.

The drop was first set up just over a year ago. But we moved to a new apartment 5 months ago where the entire setup was taken apart and put up anew, so I guess that 5 it's actually only 5 months old. So it still has some maturing to do :)

Yep. Lovely little fish with a great, grumpy "personality". Unfortunately my fish is a coral nipper. It's not that bad, but from time it does manage to piss off a coral.

The drop was first set up just over a year ago. But we moved to a new apartment 5 months ago where the entire setup was taken apart and put up anew, so I guess that 5 it's actually only 5 months old. So it still has some maturing to do :)

at least yours doesnt have a suicidal personality. The one my dad has loved to cheat death by swimming by our old carpet anemone before we got rid of it
  • 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

To be perfectly honest, the tank's future has been hanging by a thread the last couple of days, as I've been really tempted to switch to a full blown seagrass tank. But I think the urge has settled and that project will have to wait a few year.

Don't do it! I want to see this one fill in :)

How's the tank doing in the new year nidding? I'd love to see a new FTS!

Don't do it! I want to see this one fill in :)

How's the tank doing in the new year nidding? I'd love to see a new FTS!

Thanks Christopher for the encouraging words :)

I have ditched the plans and put them on the shelf till I move to my own house instead of an apartment. A coral reef is somewhat more pleasing to the eye than all the muck and algae of a seagrass aquarium, so as long as I only have the option of placing it in the living room, I'll stick to my drop :)

Not that it's doing too well right now anyways. Over the last couple of weeks I have had an explosion of bubble algae at the same time as nutrients have dropped to 0. So overall the corals look bleached and the rocks are full of green and brown nuances. Not really what we like to see. I have just started adding some NPK from sangokai and hope that will be able to raise nutrients to a better level. I'm already feeding rather heavily and am dosing phyto daily, so I'm hesitant to up feeding even more. But the macro-fuge is sucking up nutrients like crazy.

I'll see if I can get the glass clean for a FTS, but until then, here's a snap of my blue birdsnest which is thriving through all of this :)

23897675683_8aa3a2d5d3_o.jpgDSC_5569 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
Christopher Marks

Perseverance! Have the last few months been productive in the bubble algae battle? It sounds like pruning back the macro-fuge heavily might bring things back to balance, if you haven't yet.

Archived