Top Shelf Aquatics

FishFrog's new 34G - Something strange...

FishFrog

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah. One of THOSE cats. Nuf said. That's why we offer to put the soft paws on for clients.

Softpaws are great. My cat wears them. I can pick him up and scratch him behind the ears, but that's the extent of the "allowed" interaction. Our vet does all the grooming and softpaw putting on - under sedation. Evidently a grooming brush is a declaration of war. Who knew?

Softpaws are great. My cat wears them. I can pick him up and scratch him behind the ears, but that's the extent of the "allowed" interaction. Our vet does all the grooming and softpaw putting on - under sedation. Evidently a grooming brush is a declaration of war. Who knew?

Just wondering... my cat is very friendly, so it's not that he will scratch people, but he likes to scratch in the corners of carpeted rooms, and furniture if they have a very carpet-like texture... And yes, he has about 4 scratching posts and 3 scratching pads on the floor. It gets annoying because he has done some light damage. Would you recommend soft paws to help with this? I do already trim his nails weekly...

Looking good!

Thanks a lot :)

Ah. One of THOSE cats. Nuf said. That's why we offer to put the soft paws on for clients.

Yup. I'll ask my sister if she can look at getting this done for us, she is a vet so I'll let het take the scratches.

Grooming brush or pistol shrimp apparently.

Just wondering... my cat is very friendly, so it's not that he will scratch people, but he likes to scratch in the corners of carpeted rooms, and furniture if they have a very carpet-like texture... And yes, he has about 4 scratching posts and 3 scratching pads on the floor. It gets annoying because he has done some light damage. Would you recommend soft paws to help with this? I do already trim his nails weekly...

I would. That's why we got them on our cat. He won't let me trim his nails and he likes to scratch wood. He leaves the upholstery alone but does a number on door jams. :wacko:

YES! Soft paws may be a great option for your cat. I say "may", because some cats really don't like the feel of them (I can't say I am surprised - I wouldn't like rubber caps on my fingertips, either), and will pull them off with their teeth. But for those that tolerate them, it is a great option. You could also try rubbing cat nip on the scratching posts and other acceptable scratching areas. Or get some of Feliway spray from your vet and spray the posts with that. It might help divert his attention to the post instead of the carpet and furniture. BTW, love your tank, Kimberbee (don't think I have commented on your thread, but I have read the whole thing, and it is inspirational to us noobs). (And sorry to temporarily hijack your thread FishFrog)

There is a reason that there are not many people other than vets that will groom cats. Those that can't be groomed by the owner usually need sedation, or at the very least well trained staff to hold them. AND PLEASE, never Ever EVER use scissors to cut mats your of a cat's fur - once every few months I have to close up a shockingly large wound made by a well-meaning owner who tries to remove mats with scissors and cuts out a silver dollar sized piece of fur and skin. </PSA> </thread hijack>

Haha okay guys, the tin foil kinda works!

It distracts him at least.

Haven't had much time for the tank this week but did get my Nimble Nano which works great yay!

Trimming a cat's nails is a two person job. One person needs to "scruff" the cat by the neck and hold him down on his side. Then the other person can trim the nails. The best time to do it is when the cat is sleeping or just wakes up and is a little dopey.

Put some double sided tape on your door jams and see if that helps.

BTW: If your cat hates getting his nails trimmed, then he'll really hate the soft paws. The soft paws work great on young cats that have time to adjust to them.

I get the clippers out and snap 'em open/shut a few times and my cat comes running! I cradle him like a little baby - he just loves the attention. I'm lucky though!!

There is a reason that there are not many people other than vets that will groom cats. Those that can't be groomed by the owner usually need sedation, or at the very least well trained staff to hold them. AND PLEASE, never Ever EVER use scissors to cut mats your of a cat's fur - once every few months I have to close up a shockingly large wound made by a well-meaning owner who tries to remove mats with scissors and cuts out a silver dollar sized piece of fur and skin. hijack>

Ha ha, I was the kennel manager for a pet store and when we acquired an adult cat that needed re-homed, it could be interesting. We flea bathed every cat and dog that came in and I bathed adult cats with claws with fear and trembling. Sedation was not an option for me so I usually blindfolded them. Surprisingly I was never scratched or bit, but I did have a few spazz out a time or two. LOL

• 2 months later...

Well its been awhile since I posted here. Everything is going well, coral is growing nicely and the cat hasn't broken the tank down yet.

I did still have a lot of trouble with aiptaisia so this week I bought some berghia nudibranchs. They seem to be eating away nicely.

South Africa was amazing, I saw loads of sea critters and went cage diving with great whites. I didn't really want to go but my sister's father in law sort of tricked me by saying he had already paid for it..

In Hermanus I saw some really beautiful flower anemones (I think).

16295965844_0986827de7_o.jpg

16732157729_da8f985bf5_o.jpg

16917344841_ff8b1ffcd6_o.jpg

Well its been awhile since I posted here. Everything is going well, coral is growing nicely and the cat hasn't broken the tank down yet.

I did still have a lot of trouble with aiptaisia so this week I bought some berghia nudibranchs. They seem to be eating away nicely.

South Africa was amazing, I saw loads of sea critters and went cage diving with great whites. I didn't really want to go but my sister's father in law sort of tricked me by saying he had already paid for it..

In Hermanus I saw some really beautiful flower anemones (I think).

16295965844_0986827de7_o.jpg

16732157729_da8f985bf5_o.jpg

16917344841_ff8b1ffcd6_o.jpg

I glad all is well with the tank and it looks like south africa was quite an adventure.

I'm glad all is going well and the cat hasn't destroyed the tank! Those are some pretty nems, and you couldn't pay me to get in the water near sharks - cage or no cage. I'll do my reefing in my dining room, thank you very much. :happy:

Let's see a new FTS! I'd love to see an update!

• 3 weeks later...

Lookin' good. Everything looks so healthy. I especially like the left side of your tank.

Thank you :)

The left side is better yes, its more open and theres less shade. Also, the hammer gets huge and I'm afraid it will sting other corals.

My seahorse tank's rock structure is very similar to what your tank is...a tall spire on one side with a smaller rock structure on the other. I like the contrast of height.

The one next to the candycane yes. I wish its skeleton would grow and not just the heads tbh.

Looks great. Is that a Duncan with a ridiculous number of heads?

The one next to the candycane yes. I wish its skeleton would grow and not just the heads tbh.

Looks great. Is that a Duncan with a ridiculous number of heads?

• 2 months later...

Well I haven't been active much lately, but things are going okay.

Sadly I lost most of the buttons - again. Won't be getting them in the future, they just don't like my tank.

The hammer and other coral is growing like crazy. Sadly, so is green algae. It has been hot and that seems to make it worse.

I'm looking into getting a bigger CUC, but it is tricky as my LFS is poorly stocked and I don't like buying animals through the mail.

The berghias ate all of the aiptasia, although I never saw them doing so. Now I worry that they will starve because I can't find them to take them out again...

Will post pictures later

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Some sad news.

I moved out of my mother's house two weeks ago. Went back once a week for WCs.

Everything looked great, but then my Royal Gramma (Tina) disappeared, and now I've also lost one of the clowns, Leela :(

There is no sign of them, all of the coral and animals seem happy. I feel guilty for not keeping an eye on them, obviously my family doesn't know what to look for. My only explanation is they must have been eaten by the CUC or pistol shrimp.

I am now trying to set up a plan to move the aquarium to my new place. I think the best thing is to set up a clean tank, then move the content after that. I can't see how I could manage moving the tank as is.

Anyway, some pictures in the meantime.

Everything is growing well. I also got a Starry Blenny. Garompie.

23075524290_7138098df3_b.jpg

23262930012_b9153b67f2_b.jpg

23262930222_51a1f80bc8_b.jpg

23371290145_7a2c598fcc_b.jpg

23075524820_3af413443e_b.jpg

23371290355_c2d2313789_b.jpg

23288739291_f9e646cac7_b.jpg

Archived