Cultivated Reef

FishFrog's new 34G - Something strange...

FishFrog

Everything has survived the two weeks, there was a lot of algae though so I will do another WC this weekend to get the last of it off the glass. The coralline has really taken off too. Kh and Mg were a bit low, but Sg is at a normal concentration now.

Corals look happy and fish and inverts too. So I am happy as well :)

Only the sun coral, naturally, looks worse for wear. I'll put it in a container near the top and feed it a bit more in the next few weeks. Pictures soon...

Welcome Home!!! I'm glad everything survived for you!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. My wife has a black spiny urchin that likes to pick up a montiporia frag she hasn't glued down.

Haha nice :) Looks a bit like a silly hat or an umbrella, I'll take some more pictures soon.

I want to try and buy a Nimble Nano glass scraper. Some of the corners are really hard to keep clean. A company in the UK used to sell them but have only got the smallest ones now. I hope if I order from the US I won't be paying twice the price in import tax in the end...

So the cat has decided to destroy the tank.

Ever since I added Struggles and Mad Eye Moody, Mr. Truffels has gone into that strange clicking frenzy some cats get when they see a bird.

Nothing can keep him away.

He jumps against the glass and gets his claws into the rubber/silicone around the bottom, gets stuck and pulls.

I don't think he will pull it over but I am worried that he is going to claw it all out. The tank is sealed from the inside though, so should I fix it where it is shredded on the outside?

I have tried those sprays for cats and everything. He loves being sprayed with water and attacks you if you wave a newspaper at him noisily. The struggle is real.

Ever since I added Struggles and Mad Eye Moody, Mr. Truffels has gone into that strange clicking frenzy some cats get when they see a bird.

He jumps against the glass and gets his claws into the rubber/silicone around the bottom, gets stuck and pulls.

I don't think he will pull it over but I am worried that he is going to claw it all out. The tank is sealed from the inside though, so should I fix it where it is shredded on the outside?

I have tried those sprays for cats and everything. He loves being sprayed with water and attacks you if you wave a newspaper at him noisily. The struggle is real.

At the pet store I worked at, they sold a repellant for cats. Just spray a paper towel with the repellant and lay the paper towel on the table or stand that that the tank sits on.

At the pet store I worked at, they sold a repellant for cats. Just spray a paper towel with the repellant and lay the paper towel on the table or stand that that the tank sits on.

Thanks vlangel :) maybe I should get a stronger type. He only notices this one when you hold it in front of him and I don't want to be cruel or anything. It seems as if he becomes completely entranced by the shrimp moving in and out of his burrow.

I can imagine how the swaying and movements of a shrimp would be very enticing to a kitty. BTW, I think your tank looks great!

:blush: Thank you! I have to say I am really happy that things have gone well with the new tank, even without the skimmer.

When I get back from my trip next month I'm going to buy a bit more coral. Still lots of room!

I read your thread too and love those baby seahorses, so cute! :)

Mr. Truffels needs to get it together! :rant: I would wrap something around the bottom so he couldn't get his claws into it. It's probably fine, but it would freak me out! Hopefully he'll lose interest.

Maybe you should get a bird? Or a birdfeeder that sticks on a window - one of those with the one-way mirror that he can see the birds but they can't see him.

Mr. Truffels needs to get it together! :rant: I would wrap something around the bottom so he couldn't get his claws into it. It's probably fine, but it would freak me out! Hopefully he'll lose interest.

Maybe you should get a bird? Or a birdfeeder that sticks on a window - one of those with the one-way mirror that he can see the birds but they can't see him.

Yeah I think I will try that. The bird option is tricky because he will probably kill the birds.

He brings home bats and birds and mice etc all the time. Maybe I can try putting something along that ridge which isnt soft, so he can't get his nails in.

Just had a quick look at berghia nudis for the aiptasia 30 Euro for one around 8mm! Hot damn.

Silly cat!!

My cat totally ignores my tank. Even when I pick him up and point his face at my swimming fish, he couldn't care less...

Good luck finding him another distraction!

Silly cat!!

My cat totally ignores my tank. Even when I pick him up and point his face at my swimming fish, he couldn't care less...

Good luck finding him another distraction!

Don't tempt him! Mine wasn't interested at first either, it just took off with the goby/shrimp couple.

I think it is all the fast movements. The fish just hang about but those two are always darting about the place.

Our cats haven't found the tank yet, but my wife was sitting in front of it yesterday.

The tank is still cloudy but she was completely in trance by it. So imagine what it does to a cat or dog.

Hopefully it will calm down for you otherwise tough luck(?) lol

Our cats haven't found the tank yet, but my wife was sitting in front of it yesterday.

The tank is still cloudy but she was completely in trance by it. So imagine what it does to a cat or dog.

Hopefully it will calm down for you otherwise tough luck(?) lol

I can't wait for you guys to finally get some coral and life in there - you've been waiting for over a year! Exciting!

I forgot to share this with you guys.

Before Christmas I gave the mean/friendly people at my LFS some chocolates as a small gift.

The lady who works there and always says that she hates fish gave me this:

15668955763_db4b5e2dc9_o.jpg

I think her words were: I don't know what to do with all of this crap. I felt special.

It will look ugly, but I would try temporarily wrapping some tin foil around the base of the tank and maybe the first few inches. I have had great success with tin foil for keeping dogs off sofas when they decide they should get to sit everywhere their people do. They hate the way it feels under their feet, and I can only assume cats would hate it at least as much, given how tactile they are with they paws.

Btw what is the awesome looking green coral at the bottom of this picture. (Sorry if it is a totally obvious type, I'm still a complete noob)

16206007996_51dd08decc_o.jpg

It will look ugly, but I would try temporarily wrapping some tin foil around the base of the tank and maybe the first few inches. I have had great success with tin foil for keeping dogs off sofas when they decide they should get to sit everywhere their people do. They hate the way it feels under their feet, and I can only assume cats would hate it at least as much, given how tactile they are with they paws.

Btw what is the awesome looking green coral at the bottom of this picture. (Sorry if it is a totally obvious type, I'm still a complete noob)

Thanks, that does sound like an idea. I'll see how he reacts and maybe leave it for the two weeks we are gone at the end of the month.

The green coral is a green mushroom or discosoma. They melted in my old tank but I liked the colour so much that I got new ones. Cheap and bright :)

Another thought, if the tin foil doesn't work (practically or aesthetically for you): keeping the cat's nails well trimmed will prevent them from digging in to the silicone, or you could get a product called Soft Paws, which are little rubber caps that go over the nails to prevent them from scratching things. Dont know if your vet offers this service, but we will put them on for clients if they can't or don't want to do it themselves. Of course, those options will help with the nails digging in to the silicone, but not with the cat messing with the tank in general, which is why I think the tin foil might be a better option. You could also try making a "shaker can", which is just a tin can with a few pennies in it, taped shut, and you give it a good shake whenever the cat goes near the tank. They begin to associate the obnoxious sound with them going near the tank and stop doing it. This will only work if you can be around when the cat is interacting with the tank. So, again, maybe the tin foil is a better option.

Another thought, if the tin foil doesn't work (practically or aesthetically for you): keeping the cat's nails well trimmed will prevent them from digging in to the silicone, or you could get a product called Soft Paws, which are little rubber caps that go over the nails to prevent them from scratching things. Dont know if your vet offers this service, but we will put them on for clients if they can't or don't want to do it themselves. Of course, those options will help with the nails digging in to the silicone, but not with the cat messing with the tank in general, which is why I think the tin foil might be a better option. You could also try making a "shaker can", which is just a tin can with a few pennies in it, taped shut, and you give it a good shake whenever the cat goes near the tank. They begin to associate the obnoxious sound with them going near the tank and stop doing it. This will only work if you can be around when the cat is interacting with the tank. So, again, maybe the tin foil is a better option.

Thanks :) To be honest I can't pick him up. Idk what it is, his breed or being away from his mother too soon, or my brother teaching him to play rough but he scratches and bites.

The can might work, I will try that although he might take revenge on me. And the foil for when we are not home. :)

Archived