Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

I added a tiny bluestripe pipefish, D. excisus to have him jump out a few minutes later, I found him on the floor after 20 minutes and he's back in the tank now, swimming and munching on pods, but the dryness has caused him minor damage to the caudial fin so we'll see how he gets on.

From the pod population I think with daily phyto dosing and weekly addition of fresh live pods from reefphyto.co.uk I can keep him indefinitely without training him to frozen, but as a failsafe I'm going to try a few variations of frozen food to see if I can get him to take any

• Like 2

Yeah, I was thinking about that just now actually!
Pipework's a bit dirty, I've been dosing silicates a bit hard to increase diatom and pod populations.
ad687030c1.png

Also, my tank's suddenly using double the calcium and carbonate over the space of about 3 days I'm seeing a drop of 5-7ppm a day on top of what I've been experiencing normally

• Like 1

Unfortunately the pipe took a turn for the worse and didn't make it. I don't think I'm going to try one of those again.

I'm going to go fish shopping again this weekend possibly, on the look out for a pygmy geometric hawkfish or a coral croucher or something

Picked up a Geometric Pygmy Hawk yesterday, and I fed the tank with a large dose of live copepods (my sps ate most, I was hoping to establish a small colony in the display)

Currently my tank is using 100mg of calcium for growth per day, if my maths is right. they also use just over 1dkh of carbonate. Adding yet another LED to cover the mangrove canopy, and dedicating the two 10W purely for the SPS now, I'm getting some good color but I feel I could get more.

• Like 2

Oooh, let's see some pictures of the new fish :)

I like the lighting upgrade idea. Just make sure you increase the light gradually so the corals aren't too shocked.

:D I'll get some pics up soon!

I accidentally overdosed calcium thinking it was magnesium (dosed 10ml when my doser puts out 0.5ml a day, so a shift by about 80ppm) so after a large seriesof water changes my KH has now shot up to ±11dkh from the 7 it was at this morning. Calcium is elevated to 440ppm which should take the high alk stress off the SPS but I'm pretty worried nonetheless.

Everything looks pretty healthy, so hopefully the large 3/4 water change will offset any stress while my alk drops back down to about 8

Seems that everythings doing well, if not better than pre-massive-panic-induced waterchange

a7oGSbl.jpg

VJGFbpN.jpg

EjAoaU1l.jpg

I just want the colours I have top-down to extend all way down my colonies!

• Like 3

Yeah everything looks better after the 80% change I did to stabilize it, those pics are from this morning hehe

Glad to here everything is better

I'm looking at building a 4x4x4" cube, not a typo, that small. This is my inspiration lol, no idea how it will turn out

• Like 1

Man I'm excited for that size, would be awesome with some colorful stuff.

I was just wondering about how much of my success in keeping SPS can be attributed to my mangrove? I'm probably going to order a few more in feb for this tank.

Some great reading for anyone looking at keeping mangroves all from albert theil

http://www.athiel.com/lib10/mangrove9.htm

http://www.athiel.com/lib11/manstart.htm

I really like the pygmy hawk in this tank, it's small enough that it can hide in the rock and coral growth but big enough that you notice it move about every now and again. My lovely girlfriend actually managed to be interested when we went to the LFS this week through the hour or so I was there, came home with a nice little Acropora nasuta and a coral crab which promptly lost a claw.

New 20w warm-white LED and a 9w royal blue LED have been added and the tank is now bright as hell, and coral colouration has taken off.

yD1UedV.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers for the kind words! I've noticed when I let my skimmer get dirty I start to get terrrible bacterial mats in the tank, I'm tempted to start skimming wetter now to keep things as clean as possible, corals are starting to really 'pop' though, my pocci is a strong hot-pink color now, and my newly browned acro is even starting to get a metallic tinge after a few days.

lol - my tank is using 365mg of Calcium per day at the moment, but sadly I'm dealing with small amounts of dinoflagellates, I believe it's due to the tank being Nitrate limited so I've upped to dosing 1ppm every 2 days to try combat them. I'll get some photos up today / tomorrow.

you've done well in my absence lol

I was wondering where you'd gone off to! Thanks! I genuinely think that the mangrove is the sole reason I'm able to keep SPS, I think they clean out a lot more nutrient and organic material through their root systems than people give them credit for.

I guess that's to be expected even if growth is slower than comparable macro algaes, I think they're more effecient at nutrient and organic scrubbing.

Hey east1, not related to your tank but how do I post in ultimatereef? I can't seem to do it and want to get on the classifieds :) thhansj

What do you mean? You log in and there should be a post reply button and a box. I'm fairly certain you've posted in my thread over there