SaltCritters.com

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

This is an amazing tiny reef. Same size as my tank in water. I think yours is shorter and longer. I am mind boggled by the beauty.

Thanks! I often am amazed at how well this all came together myself!

Good job on the quotes lol :)

My account was disabled by the admins for some reason not sure why...

lol forums are hard.

Really? They're a bit anal over there, if you mention a non-sponsor they'll poop on you. Just make a new account or mail a mod?

Friday the 13th strikes hard, my dosing pump malfunctioned and created a siphon on my alk container, dumped 200ml of what I normally dose 27ml of, thankfully it's diluted and it only spiked KH to 10, but still. I've learned the hard way that having your dosing containers above the sump isn't very bright, and I lost my cleaner shrimp due to the resultant pH spike (from a 7.6-8.0 daily move to 8.55 at peak before waterchange

^ That

Unless you're asking for where mine are at, ca was at 440 and mg was at 1200, as normal. It was only the alk overdose and ph spike that wrecked havock!

It's my birthday tomorrow.

I made a stop at my LFS earlier........

VW0GTB5.jpgThanks!

I don't worry too much about mg, as long as it's above 1000 I don't notice any negatives, my salt mix has it pretty low so I supplement quite a bit daily

Colouring up nicely too, difficult to photograph under LED however.

• Like 3

Did a full set of water testerinos

K - 365 ppm (

I - 0.06 ppm

Fe - 0.0 ppm

KH - 7.8 dKH

Ca - 440 ppm

Iron is really low obviously, I think this is due to the mangrove. It explains the poor greens I get unless I use moonlights. Potassium is lower than I'd like, even despite having mixed in the correct proportion of K into my calcium supplement before connecting it to the dosing pump, but I think the mangrove is depleting this too. Other than that, I think everything else is good. I'm surprised by these results - I expected everything to be far lower considering my water volume

It's hard to photograph now because of the LEDs, I need to get photoshop back onto my macbook, I had to edit this in iPhoto and it didn't come out 100% accurate but here's a current FTS

e5a423463a.png

• Like 2

I really am very proud, I didn't think the tank would ever get to the stage that it is!
I decided to spoil myself today, got a Gen2 Radion, was a display model over at Charterhouse at a price I couldn't turn down, when I connected it to EcoSmartLive I noticed it was actually a gen2 not a gen1 as they'd thought, but I don't know what the difference is! It's actually less bright and intense than my old DIY job, but I feel that was burning the corals. I've got it set to give me 4 hours of 100% light during the day and a lot more mellow otherwise.

Apologies if the photo links don't work, a lot are from my puush private album (it lets you take screenshots and automatically uploads it to their servers and your private album, really handy) but I think they might cut links that get too much activity or something.
I don't run it this color, but I adjusted it to best take a photo, I think it'll need a bit more tweaking but I need to get a longer USB cable so I can manage it

I'm going to write a comprehensive guide on the steps and reasons behind setting up this tank, doing it for my best friend because he wants to set up a tiny tank while he's at med school

kvRVtoW.jpg

• Like 3

Also, aside from bonus photos because I like Nano-Reef best, I ordered two Trimma tevegae, my absolute holy grail fish, for Thursday when I get my last two assignments in.

m0TnDtL.jpg

r221489.png

• Like 1

Holy shit what an awesome end to my day :D

I ended up passing on the trimma tevegae I'd ordered from Dejong, they were far too tiny, I think my plectranthias would eat them. I ended up coming home with a C. purpurascens instead.

I've also made a DIY cleartop cover, it sits at the water level making the tank a lookdown for as long as the cover is on. I need to get one laser cut so it looks tidier and doesn't require such a high water level.

vIRM5lN.jpg

A teaser of what's coming soontm

My colors look like that in person, roughly, they're more 'glowy' surprisingly. Corals have really good color in that system, the acro with purple tips was a deep brown when I got it

can you spot my new fish?

I also have two acro crabs in here, but you can't see them.

• Like 2