Innovative Marine Aquariums

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

Too much of both, in fact! I think all of the equipment on the tank currently was bought second hand, so I've paid roughly half-price for pretty much everything, which softens the sting.

The radions are mounted using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDM11S-Single-Monitor-Bracket-Pull-Out/dp/B001BSDVW4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

there is a version with a 1m upstand pole which I use. The syringe is on a dosing pump and doses a mixture of live phyto, reef roids from polyplab, amino acids and vitamins from aquaforest and pure creatine monohydrate (the bodybuilding stuff). I usually only remember to refill it like twice a week, though.

All of my corals are from ADC, I think you have to be there on the right days, usually shipments come in on Tuesday or Thursday. In about a day or two, all of the good stock is usually gone because most people who go regularly know when to go sadly!

A monitor stand?...you sir, are a genius! Will look into copying that. So its just the hanging kit hooped around the mount.

Where do you find a dosing pump that squeezes a syringe and why the creatine monohydrate? I've never heard of people dosing this sort of stuff. Probably way beyond me chemistry wise. But looks good will keep following.

Btw...that cheeky Strike Freedom and Unicorn in the back, I see that ;)!

A monitor stand?...you sir, are a genius! Will look into copying that. So its just the hanging kit hooped around the mount.

Where do you find a dosing pump that squeezes a syringe and why the creatine monohydrate? I've never heard of people dosing this sort of stuff. Probably way beyond me chemistry wise. But looks good will keep following.

Btw...that cheeky Strike Freedom and Unicorn in the back, I see that ;)!

It's actually just fishing line, I think it's 10lb looped around twice, but it's the same effect.

The dosing pump is a Graseby m25 or something like this, I know Nano Tuners has a re-branded model for dosing but you can get them in the UK as medical surplus (they're for dosing infusions in medicine) for about £10-20 each, they're really handy!

Creatine Monohydrate is used to feed filter-feeders, I'm not entirely sure of the mechanism of action but I think it's because it doesn't dissolve entirely and in chemistry, binds to phosphates. It's a group of Nitrogen, hydrogen and oxygen and I suspect binds with P, which should make it, in theory, an all-in-one macronutrient source for animals that can filter it out.

It's actually the Hi-V ver. ka and the unicorn, well spotted!

Small rescape, I also ordered a new ATO and a replacement impeller for my Omega 150, #excited.

OyFyU7U.jpg

H74uPYe.jpg

Sm2B17i.jpg

I actually added even more sand today, but I need the tank to clear before I add photos.

• Like 7

Night Time

had a bit of a rescape and tidy, added two SPS corals finally. The only sps I have from the original 1 gallon is still in the tank, finally colouring up and showing good growth, so I think the tank is stable enough to warrant some new acropora.

VEz742i.jpg

• Like 5

This is a quite unconventional yet stunning tank. Thanks for sharing. I'm a massive fan of soft coral tanks, I really hope to be able to copy a bit of your 60p in my 60f. If the softies want to grow.

Apologies, the leather corals are both sheding at the moment because I added the extra pump just above them both, to accommodate the SPS in the tank.0aktLqA.jpg

5AiRHAq.jpg

PAjdg8O.jpg

• Like 6

Love your mangroves, how old are these? I have 3 pods which are rooting well, no leaves yet though.

Thanks! I think the first, tallest one I received with two leaves (so approx 6 months old) in November 2014, the other two were bought with roots but no shoot around April 2015.

Also, it's my birthday! happy birthday to me :D

Happy belated Birthday! Tank looks fabulous btw!

Good to see some more UK reefers on this thread, gives me hope that, if I do set up my own tank that I can get good supplies etc

p.s. Sorry you've probably said this before but how big is your tank? Gallon/litre wise?

p.s. Sorry you've probably said this before but how big is your tank? Gallon/litre wise?

The ADA 60p is about 65 liters. I've been in a pet store in Ireland and they had some good live stock and equipment there, so I guess the supply is quite good in the UK as well. Probably depends where you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah thanks guys! It's a great thing, tibbsy, but at the same time it means I'm constantly worrying that the water quality suddenly drops. I also don't change water very often, so I think I need to re-think my attutides lol

I have some images!

iU0R2ni.jpg

MyX94Hm.jpg

F2OSgPe.jpg

yUVbhGM.jpg

GyXBxJ3.jpg

0oJjJJV.jpg

uifUkCJ.jpg

(this one shows the color really well)

WWU4qiV.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats on totm.. If you don't mind me asking where did you buy your ADA?

Thanks!

I got it from my LFS - Aquatic Design Centre in central London. You can get them online on The Green Machine, they offer affordable shipping, too.

• Like 1
davidanthony921

Thanks!

I got it from my LFS - Aquatic Design Centre in central London. You can get them online on The Green Machine, they offer affordable shipping, too.

Over seas..