Innovative Marine Aquariums

A designer's minimal Reef

Nstocks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the brainstorming going on here, lots of cool ideas. I am a strong believer of a backup drain. My main drain is a 20mm full siphon which is tuned by a valve, and my backup is a 20mm wide open line which is there just in case. The siphon is quiet where as the backup enters the sump above the water level to create noise and limit the chance of additional blocking.

I like the brainstorming going on here, lots of cool ideas. I am a strong believer of a backup drain. My main drain is a 20mm full siphon which is tuned by a valve, and my backup is a 20mm wide open line which is there just in case. The siphon is quiet where as the backup enters the sump above the water level to create noise and limit the chance of additional blocking.

This is what I want to do with my new tank, super silent and won't flood

nanolutionary

Have you considered getting a mame overflow to do away with having the pipes on the inside or drill two pipes herbie overflow style leading down to sump this way you don't have to have the wier take up the entire corner section instead a small overflow box at the surface much more minimalistic and simplistic.

Have you considered getting a mame overflow to do away with having the pipes on the inside or drill two pipes herbie overflow style leading down to sump this way you don't have to have the wier take up the entire corner section instead a small overflow box at the surface much more minimalistic and simplistic.

Not a chance :P . The plumbing would be outside the perimeter of the tank and cabinet which I personally dislike. I'll be using frosted opal acrylic for the entire corner box so it's easier on the eyes (no huge black box in the corner) and will still hide all the pipework.

Here's the final design. I'm very happy with how it's turned out. Everything has been carefully calculated so the tank can never overflow. (unless I leave the ATO pump on!)

I'm going to send all the details off to suppliers and see what they come up with. If it too expensive or takes too long, I'll be building the tanks myself but I have faith :)

M4zzOhK.jpg

js1NH6x.jpg

Just another update. I've fully modelled the equipment and plumbing and have altered the sump size to accommodate the drains that are close to the edge of the tank. I now have 10mm gaps between the sump walls and inside of the cabinet - previously it was 25mm.

Sump is 580mmL x 450mmW x 400mmH. RO/DI freshwater chamber holds 25litres! The return pump will probably need to be upgraded to the Eheim Compact 3000 due to using 4 elbows to plumb it.

fgFW33i.jpg

It's a very interesting idea and one I'd like to adapt... Are you aware of similar systems for a precedent?

Elos, they use a plenum with lower intakes for the overflow.

It shouldnt run it as a siphon, thats a flood thats going to happen. But, As an overflow with the inlet at the bottom, must have siphon break.

Youve moved on, just as well. Just wanted to clarify your questions.

What application have you used for this blueprint?

Sketchup! I wasn't a fan of it whilst studying Architecture, but for this project it's been great. Very simple to use and quick too.

The skimmer and ball valves were found at Sketchup warehouse. All the plumbing was created by myself to get exact dimensions of the pipework I'll be using.

Archived