Top Shelf Aquatics

Claire's 12g - Boring but happy

ClaireRenee

Great room set up- look nice and comfy to enjoy the tanks!

Thanks, I am excited about it. I can't wait to get this tank going. One thing is for sure, nobody can accuse me of going too quickly :unsure: Soon I will get my #%@ in gear and get some stuff in this tank.

Thanks for stoping by.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's one of my favorite room pictures I've seen yet. Beautiful and elegant, yet comfortable.

Thanks!

So, the first coral is in... I got a little yellow and orange ricordea florida. I have it in a low flow, shaded area. It was pissed when I put it in, but it is starting to fluff up now.

15763696872_790d87e1e3_c.jpg

Thanks!

So, the first coral is in... I got a little yellow and orange ricordea floridia. I have it in a low flow, shaded area. It was pissed when I put it in, but it is starting to fluff up now.

15763696872_790d87e1e3_c.jpg

That's a beautiful R. Florida you have there.

u dont see green mixed with orange that often. great pickup!

Sweet Start! keep up the good work... I like your FW tank as well. :)

It took me a long time to pick my first coral. I wanted an easy coral, but I also didn't want to get something really common or something that would grow out of control. I want to go slow and be a bit choosy about my tank inhabitants since I don't have very much real estate. I am glad that I found something cool. I have visions of a ric garden on the sand bed. I really love the look of a big group of rics cuddled up together.

As for the FW... I have gotten a little lax on maintenance since starting the SW. I have some algae in it now, so I better get it cleaned up soon.

i love your choice! you went with my shroom

suggestion! hee! i have one ric too, and i love

it a lot. it's grown since 8 weeks ago and it's

a great eater! congrats on your first coral, claire!

i love your choice! you went with my shroom

suggestion! hee! i have one ric too, and i love

it a lot. it's grown since 8 weeks ago and it's

a great eater! congrats on your first coral, claire!

You and Nano Sapiens convinced me that a shroom was the way to go. They are so darn cute. The LFS had another R. Florida that I really liked. Maybe he will still be there when I go back.

I am so excited to have something in the tank! :happydance:

Can't go wrong with trochus and astrea snails.

Good choice on a starter coral. Let the obsession begin.

Petco has 5 for 5$ on snails and hermits right now.

I totally agree... those little buggers had the tank looking good in 3 days! They are hard working little creatures.

u dont see green mixed with orange that often. great pickup!

+1. It's usually solid green, or green with yellow (that can flop back to green depending on conditions). Green & Orange in a R. Florida is something I have not seen yet.

Nice pickup!! What's the next choice going to be?

Thanks, I haven't decided what is next. I am thinking of getting my ric a buddy since I hear that they like touching each other. After that I might get a fishy. :happydance:

Yay life!

That is what I say every day! I just looked at the picture I posted. My little guy must be happy because he is all fluffed up now. He is quite a bit bigger than in that picture.

+1....whats next??

;) might go to LFS tomorrow morning... I will post pics if I get anything.

You and Nano Sapiens convinced me that a shroom was the way to go. They are so darn cute. The LFS had another R. Florida that I really liked. Maybe he will still be there when I go back.

I am so excited to have something in the tank! :happydance:

Yay, a nice Ric! After a week or so you can try a bit brighter area. Each week bring it a bit more into the light and then see how it reacts each time. It'll let you know if it doesn't like something (shrivels up, shoots white 'string' from the mouth).

Yay, a nice Ric! After a week or so you can try a bit brighter area. Each week bring it a bit more into the light and then see how it reacts each time. It'll let you know if it doesn't like something (shrivels up, shoots white 'string' from the mouth).

Great! Is the sand bed a good place for him, or should I put him in the rockwork?

Here is a pic of him today... I think he is pretty happy :haha: (sorry for bad cell phone pic quality)

15792472272_de8d713419_c.jpg

Great! Is the sand bed a good place for him, or should I put him in the rockwork?

Here is a pic of him today... I think he is pretty happy :haha: (sorry for bad cell phone pic quality)

Personally, I like to keep mine up on rock work, but as long as it has a solid base it can be happy on the sand bed, too.

Corals have an 'energy budget' that they have to meet or else they start shrinking. Rics get much of their energy from their internal 'algae' (zooanthellae), so light is important for them in the long run.

;) might go to LFS tomorrow morning... I will post pics if I get anything.

Oh man, my LFS is hosting our reef club's meet tomorrow night, which means special stock (also a reason to go into the city for a few drinks and dinner, sue me)

I've got a few things in mind though! What are you after?

Oh man, my LFS is hosting our reef club's meet tomorrow night, which means special stock (also a reason to go into the city for a few drinks and dinner, sue me)

I've got a few things in mind though! What are you after?

Nice!

Im not after anything specific, but I really want to get some critters in my tank. I will never be accused of going to quickly on stocking. I get so worried that I am making a mistake that I do nothing.

I will probably just go and drool into the tanks at the LFS, but hopefully I will pull the trigger on something and have some pics tomorrow.

In other news, my hubby and I are thinking of trading in his old truck for a new chevy tomorrow :haha:

For now, I am going to have a beer and a couple of shots of Jack and hang out with my husband.

Archived