Pod Your Reef

Claire's 12g - Boring but happy

ClaireRenee

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear everything is going so well. Time to calm down and just enjoy. Stop worrying so much about something being dead in the AM. You are doing a great job!

Clowns are great "companion" fish. They will get very used to you feeding them. Mine come to the surface in the spot I usually feed them every time they even see me come close to the tank. Have you tried hand feeding them yet? If not, take a mysis and hold it by the tail right under the surface of the water. Your clowns should eat right from your fingers!

Haha, I have done so much research on SW tanks that I think I know more about all of the things that can go wrong than the things that can go right. :unsure:

I am definitely getting better about enjoying the tank and not stressing. I certainly can't stop looking at the tank. The fish are so much fun!!!

Thanks for your help and encouragement :)

Lookin great, Claire!

Thanks!

So I totally skipped work today due to the rain. (It really isn't raining too hard, but it makes me feel better to have an excuse).

I decided to try to feed the rics just for fun... I know they don't need it and, yes I am generally keeping my feeding low.

So, I made myself a target feeder out of a 1ml syringe a short piece of flexible air tube and a long piece of "ridged" air tube.

15829846605_5165251671_c.jpg

I originally tried to give them each one pellet, as to keep the food level to a minimum. Well... my brazen little amphipods stormed the rics and absconded with their food :furious:

I was too far in to give up now, so I defrosted a pinch of rod's in sw and squirted a little on each one... OMG, they loved it! The ric in the back got a really big piece by accident, but after 15 minutes he had it down. So darn cute!

15644425318_694eb83fd4_c.jpg

This photo was while the orange one in back was still mid-gulp.

Tomorrow I really have to get my a$$ to work. But today has been lots of fun.

@ClaireRenee great looking tank! how much were the ric frags. also its nice to see other bay area reefers. if you are on facebook there is another group called Bay Area Coral Lovers feel free to join.

I am not on Facebook anymore... long story, but angry phone call from mom on at 5am on Saturday morning after seeing a pic of me drinking with friends at my own home and I said enough!

The rics were pretty expensive, but I want to fill up my tank only with things I think I will still want when my tank starts filling up. ($20-$30)

Hmm... I dont think my rics like to eat like that... Maybe I just have the wrong food? I sorta try to gently squirt spirulina brine at them every so often, but it just floats away...

Hmm... I dont think my rics like to eat like that... Maybe I just have the wrong food? I sorta try to gently squirt spirulina brine at them every so often, but it just floats away...

I purposely turned off all water movement. They are really slow eaters. If you get it on them near there mouth they will pull it in. If you have water movement, it will blow away before the ric can get it into its mouth.

Good luck!

I purposely turned off all water movement. They are really slow eaters. If you get it on them near there mouth they will pull it in. If you have water movement, it will blow away before the ric can get it into its mouth.

Good luck!

Thanks! I do turn everything off, I just must be too impatient!

Sometimes just for fun I feed mine cut up pieces of mysis. It's really funny to watch their mouths stretch open to eat it. I didn't used to feed mine, and while they stayed healthy, they didn't grow like they do now that I feed them regularly. Usually I give them a little cyclopeeze.

Thanks! I do turn everything off, I just must be too impatient!

I didn't think mine were going to eat it at first, cause you can't see them moving much at all. I came back to the tank 5 min later and one had a mouth full, so I monitored for the next 15-20 minutes and little by little they all ate. I think you probably just need to give them some time. Supper funny when they eat!

I am not on Facebook anymore... long story, but angry phone call from mom on at 5am on Saturday morning after seeing a pic of me drinking with friends at my own home and I said enough!

The rics were pretty expensive, but I want to fill up my tank only with things I think I will still want when my tank starts filling up. ($20-$30)

I hear you on Facebook. I've always contemplated leaving myself. but it's like a drug lol.

what lfs you get the rics from.

Thanks!

I hear you on Facebook. I've always contemplated leaving myself. but it's like a drug lol.

what lfs you get the rics from.

Thanks!

I got the rics from Neptune's in San Jose.

hey claire! i got my first yuma ric. :D

and my original florida ric eats like a champ.

anything i give it: pellets, mysis, coral frenzy, etc.

the new yuma ate well too today.

• 1 month later...
skyscraper2290

Glad to see that your tank is coming along nicely! Really like the rics and the clowns that you got, very pretty fish! And I know I never replied to when you asked me where I got my picasso from but it was at a "LFS" if you can call it that about 100 miles away for $30

uscuba2_2013

Hello All,

I am about to embark on my first saltwater aquarium. I have had many freshwater tanks and have always wanted to try saltwater, but have always been talked out of it by people saying that it is too difficult and too expensive.

My journey to this point began when I couldn't pass up a killer deal on a 12 gallon Fluval Edge. I didnt have a fish tank at the time and was really missing one. That tank has been up and running as a planted freshwater with a school of neons and one, scratch that, a billion ramshorn snails. I agree that this tank has many downsides, but to me they are worth it for the clean look. One day, i stumbled upon Saltwater Conversions and saw the elegant and clean conversion pack. Since my freshwater is located to the side of our fireplace and I thought it would be really cool to put a SW reef tank on the other side.

There began my journey! I have spent approximately 6 months gathering equipment, researching, planning, reading and when I have to, working. I have really enjoyed and appreciated all of the knowledge and inspiration I have gotten from Nano Reef so I thought I would document my own NOOB attempt.

So, water went in on October 8. I have my one year anniversary trip in October, so I won't be adding much, if anything until mid October. If algae or diatoms become a problem I might deploy a small CUC before the trip. In the mean time I will be continuing my research (aka procrastinating from work), and stalking all of the beautiful and inspirational tanks on Nano-Reef. Thank you all! All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Here are some photos of latest

15015321988_aa9a41f0bc_c.jpg

15180801962_fc175fe2a3_z.jpg

15178874876_f63ff37f0c_z.jpg

15178872456_ed5e42d74e_c.jpg

15763696872_790d87e1e3_c.jpgimage by

Tank

12 Gal Fluval Edge

Marine-Pac 3 in column

Light

Saltwater Conversions custom 50w LED

48 leds (24 chips 10000-14000K + 24 chips 455-465nm)

Filtration

Live Rock

Live Sand

Sechem Purgem

Eheim 600 compact pump

Controller

TBD

Live Rock

Real Reef Rock

Sand

Fiji Pink

Livestock

Coral

TBD

Macroalgae

TBD

Fish

TBD (likely clown)

Inverts

TBD

attachicon.gifMP3 out of tower.jpg

attachicon.giftower.jpg

attachicon.giffan.jpg

attachicon.giflight.jpg

where did you get the storage stands the tanks are on. my wife like them

Hi Claire are you happy with the Tank and the Marine Pack?. I am very interested in this but afraid of the small opening on the tank and also there is not many reviews on the Marine pack that I can find. Any info like pros and cons would be great thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived