Innovative Marine Aquariums

Island's Paradise-IM Fusion Micro 30L

Island

Looking great!!!

Thanks-Just wanted to say that my new clam that I thought was done for, has set up shop on my sand bed next to my elegance coral and is looking great! Thinking about getting another one-Happy NY all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings fellas... I just wanted to provide an update on my tank, since adding my Maxima clam almost a month ago. I am happy to say that he is doing well, even under my Orbit Marines. He kept diving off of my top rockscape to the bottom where the par is pretty low... But, to my surprise, he is doing very well. His color is really looking vibrant and his mouth it nice and tight. I did start to supplement feed with some phytofeast, and tbh, I really don't think I needed to. The corals love it though and most of my LPS I spot feed just gobble it up.

Unfortunately, the phytofeast has brought into my tank the dreaded hair algae! I have like 2-3 rocks that it is starting to cover and smaller patches of it throughout the tank. I have started a shorter light cycle and have dropped to every other day feedings. My parameters are for the most part in check, but I think with smaller AIO tanks, it's just so much harder to keep parameters and the tank nutrients low.

My ghost skimmer pulls out nice tea colored wet skim, and I still change out the purigen and chemipure blue once a month. I hope I can get the hair algae under control though. My tank has been up for almost 6 months. Is this normal "new tank syndrome"? I also have a lot of diatoms and cyano on the sand bed that I breakup daily. Well, that's about it for now...Here's some pics of the tank. Check out that clam!! :D Later all!

post-85475-0-71021900-1421445307_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-76262800-1421445311_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-76876400-1421445322_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-22374300-1421445396_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-22788800-1421445431_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-80497500-1421445451_thumb.jpg

Hey, nice tank. I may have to get a clam like that.

I also have an Fusion 30 and I've noticed cyano since starting phyto a couple weeks ago too. Normally the GFO keeps it in check. I'm not sure if it's really the phyto but it seems to be the likely culprit.

Thanks for the reply...Yeah, I think the phyto just adds more phosphates to the tank and these AIO's already being small are less forgiving with nutrient export. Iowered the light on time from 10 hours down to 8, but haven't seen a drop in the amount of hair algae....I do hope I can get it to die back though...Time to pull out the old toothbrush I guess :(

I usually stick to 7-10 day water changes with 5 gallons using Coral sea pro...The Hair algae is still there, but the corals look very healthy and happy..I still want to kill off all the hair algae, but don't want to use chemicals. Sucks though, that with the clam, I don't want to go to low on the light schedule

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Island - nice looking tank. I just ordered one for my kids who want to do a nano reef together. It arrives this week and we're planning to set it up on Saturday. I think I will use live rock from an existing tank so it's already seeded with bacteria and maybe we can skip the nitrogen cycle.

I have been doing a lot of research on potential lights and came across the Orbit Marine that you're using. I was worried it wasn't enough light for LPS but this thread and your pics suggest it is. Maybe because the tank is so shallow? Are your corals still looking full and healthy? How is that clam doing. It's a beautiful one, and I have a hard time believing that even in a shallow tank this light is bright enough for it. We were thinking of maybe getting two of them (lights, not clams!).

So a Current Orbit Marine is enough light for a clam??? I have the 24" fixture on my 20 long and wasn't really sure what I could grow in there. Have about 5 zoas, 2 acans, and a ricordia mushroom that I just ordered from salt critters. Definitely a relief to see someone growing LPS and even clams with this fixture.

Hi Island - nice looking tank. I just ordered one for my kids who want to do a nano reef together. It arrives this week and we're planning to set it up on Saturday. I think I will use live rock from an existing tank so it's already seeded with bacteria and maybe we can skip the nitrogen cycle.

I have been doing a lot of research on potential lights and came across the Orbit Marine that you're using. I was worried it wasn't enough light for LPS but this thread and your pics suggest it is. Maybe because the tank is so shallow? Are your corals still looking full and healthy? How is that clam doing. It's a beautiful one, and I have a hard time believing that even in a shallow tank this light is bright enough for it. We were thinking of maybe getting two of them (lights, not clams!).

So a Current Orbit Marine is enough light for a clam??? I have the 24" fixture on my 20 long and wasn't really sure what I could grow in there. Have about 5 zoas, 2 acans, and a ricordia mushroom that I just ordered from salt critters. Definitely a relief to see someone growing LPS and even clams with this fixture.

I will be the first to say that I am shocked as well....From what you read about parameters for Maximas, you would think that the Orbit would no where be enough, but my clam is doing very well and his mouth it tight and mantle color look great. His byssal threads are secured tight to the bottom glass and he likes to reposition himself for better light by turning but he has not moved since he seated himself on the bottom.

The orbit marine is a great light, and for money, a great purchase. I really get nice shimmer from the lights. There is going to be a Pro version of the Orbit coming out in the spring which is supposed to almost double the PAR....I think for the depth of my tank, my clam and corals are all doing wonderful! I am doing a water change tomorrow and will provide some updated pics for you guys. Good night and take care!

Well you convinced me. I just ordered an Orbit from Marine Depot. Got it for just $165 after they price-matched Amazon. Great deal for a light with all those features! Of course I didn't know they were coming out with a Pro version and I'm sure we'll want to upgrade when they do. :D

Be sure to post those pics after your water change - it's great inspiration for us!

Beautiful tank! I have the IM fusion 40 but your tank is making me wish I got the 30L. Love the clam and elegance coral, how big is the clam? Keep up the great work!

That clam is pure sexiness.

Do you have the PAR readings for the Orbit?

I have the same exact tank and was wondering what the PAR levels were at each depth.

Current replaced my Ramp Timer Pro (time got stuck) hassle free. Great customer service, I am a fan.

That clam is pure sexiness.

Do you have the PAR readings for the Orbit?

I have the same exact tank and was wondering what the PAR levels were at each depth.

Current replaced my Ramp Timer Pro (time got stuck) hassle free. Great customer service, I am a fan.

I'm hoping to get this information as well. I haven't been able to find any PAR measurements other than what is provided by Current.

• 2 months later...

Greetings fellow reefers. Well, it's been a while since I posted anything on my thread, and if you read my last few posts you would understand why. I actually almost shut down my tank because I have/had a pretty bad GHA outbreak. I attribute it's start from the bad idea when I purchased my clam back in December. My LFS got me to buy some phyto feast to supplement the clam/corals, and like a noob, I didn't read the instructions and pretty much poured a boatload of phosphates into the tank. The GHA took ahold as I noticed few patches right away.

In the next month it basically took over all my live rock, and started to smother corals. Needless to say, I was very bummed and depressed and didn't even want to look at my tank. I compounded the issue in a negative way when I purchased an autofeeder because I was taking my family to Disneyland for a week. So, the phosphates even became more out of control. Well, to make a long story short, I decided to do something about it and about 2 weeks ago, I took a whole day to devote to my tank, and started my GHA Battle!!! I took out every piece of live rock, and with a box full of cu-tips, I dipped the cu-tips and slathered every inch of the damn GHA I could see with H2O2.

I also found some Bubble algae and little stems of bryopsis starting to grow on frag plugs. I decimated these *!%$! as well with some H2O2 power!!! So after the H2O2, I dipped the rocks in fresh RODI water and placed each one back into the tank. I was hoping for the best, but all I could think of was that my corals were all going to melt and my fish, clam and shrimp would all be floating belly up , dead by the next morning.....That was 11 days ago.....And here we are today! :D I am so pleased! Most of the GHA is pretty much dead or dying. I went ahead and added a Minimax reactor that I am running HC GFO, so hopefully this will be the fix.

My only casualty was my big green torch that I had on the left side of the tank, but I think it was already doing poorly as one of the heads shrunk and died a little after the GHA outbreak started, and the other followed suit. So, I am bummed that I lost the torch, but my tank other then that is doing well. Oh yea, check out my clam! :P I turned the atinics down, so you could see his actual blue color. I am still learning, as I have only been in the hobby a little over 6 months, but I have learned a lot, and this forum and you guys have been such a great help! I now will read every label/instructions, before I pour it into my tank ;) Take care everyone, and have a good weekend!

post-85475-0-81018100-1428087549_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-74618200-1428087553_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-77592200-1428087557_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-79243600-1428087562_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-07660500-1428087566_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-86206400-1428087568_thumb.jpg

Very nice setup!

Thank you man! Yours isn't to shabby either! ;) Love the deep IM 40G! BTW, is that a red gonipora? Where did you pick up that beauty?

Thank you man! Yours isn't to shabby either! ;) Love the deep IM 40G! BTW, is that a red gonipora? Where did you pick up that beauty?

Thanks! I got that at one of my LFS. Its been with me for about 7 months. One of my favorites!

Here's a few more shots during some Mysis feeding with the return and power head off. I love it because the LPS really plump up and get fat tentacles stretching out to feed. :P

post-85475-0-92935200-1428091413_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-84840300-1428091417_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-58897300-1428091616_thumb.jpg

post-85475-0-08757900-1428091620_thumb.jpg

Enjoyed reading through your thread- it is a beautiful tank! I was very happy to hear about the USA marine led's. I just set up my tank 9 months ago and finally started getting corals about 3 months ago. I also ended up choosing the USA marine led light for my 26 gallon bowfront, which has a few extra inches height from the 30L. A lot of the things I've read suggest this light is full featured but doesn't have the power from other high-end led's but I've been very impressed with it so far. My zoos, mushrooms, kenya tree are all at the bottom of the tank, doing great. My trumpet and frogspawn are 2/3 of the way down and are growing really fast! I have so much real estate in the top 1/2 of my tank so I can't wait to try some higher demanding corals, which you've shown should be really happy.

Next on my radar: Duncans, acans, goniopora, hammer, lobo,

Keep the pics coming!

Enjoyed reading through your thread- it is a beautiful tank! I was very happy to hear about the USA marine led's. I just set up my tank 9 months ago and finally started getting corals about 3 months ago. I also ended up choosing the USA marine led light for my 26 gallon bowfront, which has a few extra inches height from the 30L. A lot of the things I've read suggest this light is full featured but doesn't have the power from other high-end led's but I've been very impressed with it so far. My zoos, mushrooms, kenya tree are all at the bottom of the tank, doing great. My trumpet and frogspawn are 2/3 of the way down and are growing really fast! I have so much real estate in the top 1/2 of my tank so I can't wait to try some higher demanding corals, which you've shown should be really happy.

Next on my radar: Duncans, acans, goniopora, hammer, lobo,

Keep the pics coming!

Awesome! Yes, This little current orbit marine, is worth its weight in gold. I am very pleased with it's cost value and performance. With this hobby, we are always itching to upgrade though! :lol: Current just came out with a PRO version of the Orbit Marine....It isn't cheap though like this model....It's pushing up towards the $500 mark. For the corals that I keep and the tank I use, I really like the Orbit for its features (Ramp timer/Low profile) It works great and my corals/clam aren't complaining! :D

Awesome! Yes, This little current orbit marine, is worth its weight in gold. I am very pleased with it's cost value and performance. With this hobby, we are always itching to upgrade though! :lol: Current just came out with a PRO version of the Orbit Marine....It isn't cheap though like this model....It's pushing up towards the $500 mark. For the corals that I keep and the tank I use, I really like the Orbit for its features (Ramp timer/Low profile) It works great and my corals/clam aren't complaining! :D

Ah, I have been hearing word of a "pro" version for awhile. Any idea what they have improved on it? Wattage of Leds. etc.

Archived