ReefCleaners.org

D3monic's nano fail 28- New Macros Here!

D3monic

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped by Aquatica in Tinley park. They had a nice pair of yellow multi banded pipefish in and I was so tempted to get them. They was juvi sized. Had them feed them but they didn't eat though the flow was strong and a clowfish was demolishing the food. It was enough to make me think twice though especially since they would kind of out grow my tank.

I picked up a 6 line that was demolishing the mysis and a tailspot blenny instead.

6 line is already out and about and eating. The tail spot darted into the rockwork and haven't seen it again yet. Pics tomorrow after they have fully adjusted.

Tail spot has been out and about pecking at the short algae. No good pics. Every time I get close to the tank it darts into a hidey hole.

Wow this tank it looking so much better. A complete turnaround. Keep up the fight you are definitely winning!

Thanks :D Some the HA is coming back but I'm determined to get it under control. I've given up trying to grow macroalgae until the HA is gone though. All my additions are just covered by HA with the exception of the newer shoots of caulerpa and the gorg. I just got paid so I will probably make a trip back to the store and pick up another algae eater. Maybe a lettuce nudi or seahare though seahares don't last long in my tank. I think the nem is getting them.

I'll try to resist the urge to grab the two yellow multi banded pipefish. But it will be hard.... very hard. Fck it if they are still there i'm buying them.

I have a white worm culture on the way that I ordered off fleabay. I used to use them in my FW tanks and i'm sure the fish in this one will love them. Black worms looked like too much a hassle.

Glad to see things are getting better!

Have you considered mollies?

I've always been more of an Acid fan but ive tried molly a few times

tumblr_n24ryoypZR1sgn9x2o1_500.gif

Oh you mean the fish. No first I heard of it but googling does seem to produce results for HA.

I'm ordering some Mag , test kit and going to try raising my mag to get rid of it. Might move some my caulerpa to a spare tank while I do it so it doesn't all die off. I've no experience with mag dosing though so a little apprehensive after someone mentioned that it can kill off inverts. Don't want to loose my skrimps.

Ordered a new controller for my jebao pump. Its been stuck on full blast for months. Found one on reef breeders led for $10 shipped. I was tempted to order the jebao - apex adapter but since it's not an official apex product I just opted for the cheaper replacement controller. Hopefully this one lasts more than 6 months.

Now i'm on the fence again about dosing mag. Maybe i'll wait a few more weeks and see if I can get this under control before I resort to that. I wouldn't mind a few more additions to the CUC. Most the bubble algae is gone but a emerald crab wouldn't hurt. Maybe fuzzy chiton or a seahare again. Will see what they got tomorrow or thurs.

I've always been more of an Acid fan but ive tried molly a few times

Oh you mean the fish. No first I heard of it but googling does seem to produce results for HA.

I'm ordering some Mag , test kit and going to try raising my mag to get rid of it. Might move some my caulerpa to a spare tank while I do it so it doesn't all die off. I've no experience with mag dosing though so a little apprehensive after someone mentioned that it can kill off inverts. Don't want to loose my skrimps.

:lol: I've had mollies in the past and they're pretty good at eating algae. Mostly they are known for eating Bryopsis, but they eat other algae too.

Mag dosing is more for Bryopsis, not hair algae. Also, if you mag gets high enough it's known to kill snails. Pretty sure it doesn't bother shrimps.

Also, as far as algae eaters go, I would avoid a sea hare, they tend to be large and need to eat a lot even after you don't have any algae left. Chitons are pretty good, along with the more standard algae eaters.

:lol: I've had mollies in the past and they're pretty good at eating algae. Mostly they are known for eating Bryopsis, but they eat other algae too.

Mag dosing is more for Bryopsis, not hair algae. Also, if you mag gets high enough it's known to kill snails. Pretty sure it doesn't bother shrimps.

Also, as far as algae eaters go, I would avoid a sea hare, they tend to be large and need to eat a lot even after you don't have any algae left. Chitons are pretty good, along with the more standard algae eaters.

I miss my old seahare. Only one I ever seen that ate frozen foods. I had it over a year and a half before I got out of the hobby. Every other one i've bought only lives a few weeks. He lived in my old nanocube for over a year before moving to a 75gal

Always hogging the food dish

I remember seeing some fuzzy chiton at the LFS maybe i'll try one of those

God I miss that tank, should of gone with the HQI series instead of this crummy LED one

I did a 6 gal water change today, scrubbed what I could of the HA off the rocks, soaked and scrubbed the rock front right in peroxide and got all the HA off it. There was a rock in the back on right that was competly covered in red turf and HA It was probably 2lbs. I ended up just dumping in the trash and opening up a little space in the back corner for some future gorgs or something once live-plants has some stock in.

Finally got around to figuring out how to sex yasha gobies and that I have a female. Headed to the LFS in a few hours going to see if they have a male while i'm picking up an emerald crab and some other CUC's

quick crappy cell pics before lights out

OErhyJ2.jpg

Probably shouldn't of got the pipefish. Was too hard to resist though

ItqLIth.jpg

Rock after it's peroxide dip and scrub

YPXxZLV.jpg

Previous rock I had dipped, starting to get some HA back on it

Y5j0EdK.jpg

Feed out a few white worms, my culture has barely in it so will be a while before I can give a good feeding of them.

Everyone ignored the worms but my female mandarin. She followed it and finally sucked it up. She went nuts for them. Only feed 4 one at a time and she literally chased off the other fish and is still guarding the spot they landed. I knew worms triggered a strong feeding response in mandarins from my past experiences training onto frozen foods but this was my first with live worms.

My yasha goby does not like the pipefish. Nips at him any time he comes near.

Woke up this afternoon to find the pipefish dead. I'm not really too suprised. It seemed lethargic, probably caught with cyanide.

Did another peroxide dip and scrub on the rock front left of the tank. Accidentally dipped my pom pom crab and somehow he survived being in the peroxide bucket for 10 mins or so while I scrubbed ect. KmbzVlq.jpg

More random pics while i'm at it

g7LwRDz.jpg

PkrvwXs.jpg

4ow2T4k.jpg

FKsd8oU.jpg

perdIms.jpg

Kb0dGql.jpg

jZOqkKV.jpg

9oZk1JY.jpg

uvNeoL7.jpg

CronicReefer

It's amazing to see how quickly your tank has recovered from its HA overgrowth. The corals and tan overall just look so much brighter now. Keep it up!

It's amazing to see how quickly your tank has recovered from its HA overgrowth. The corals and tan overall just look so much brighter now. Keep it up!

Tanks definitely coming back to you. Great improvement.

Thanks guys, it's been a lot of work and there's still a bunch left especially on the big rock but i've been scrubbing at it with a grout brush and tooth brush every water change. Friends from the fish club where nice enough to give me some mushrooms from their tank along with the hammer and the yellow polyps up top there. They got a bunch of sps for me as well but I told them i'd hold off until HA is under control so I don't have to fight it trying to grow on the coral.

Duncans have improved dramatically. I thought for sure I was going to loose them but now they are happy as ever.

CronicReefer

Try a tuxedo urchin. They stay pretty small and they leave a trail of white rock behind them everywhere they go. I've never seen an algae eater clean a rock so well.

Try a tuxedo urchin. They stay pretty small and they leave a trail of white rock behind them everywhere they go. I've never seen an algae eater clean a rock so well.

if I spot one I may grab it. I used to have one in my old tank along with a spiney that was a hitchhiker. Started out as a tiny black dot and slowly got bigger. Was one of the cooler hitch hikers next to my decorator crab.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed the other day my Male Mandarin had what looked like a necrotic sore on his face, seems like it's all the way to the cartridge, there was nothing leading up to it. Just fine and then next day I see it. I want to assume he found out the hard way to stay away from the bubble tip. Other tank inhabitants are the pom pom crab, blood shrimp, two sexy shrimp, small hermits, female mandarin, 6 line who has been pretty chill, yasha goby, tail spot blenny , acan, hammer coral, duncans , shrooms and some half alive zoas... seems like the most obvious culprit would be the anemone.

adjqLH6.jpg

Looks fluffy in this pic but it's not, it's just skin sloughing off and can see a little cartilage on his snout. He's still eating fine though. Hoping it will just scar up but heal though as big as it is i'm prepared to loose him.

WRIYLYG.jpg

makes me a little sad as he was just starting to figure out how the food dish works and that blood worms are tasty.

Male Mandarin Passed over night. The sore continued to get worse. Wife was really sad when I told her. He wasn't with us very long but was huge and flashy compared to our female.

Since the majority of my HA algae situation is under control I went ahead and ordered a few macros to try again. Grabbed what LA reefs had up on flea bay,

some blue scroll,

$(KGrHqVHJEQFHhY8-cmgBR74OYyvfQ~~60_1.JP

red grape,

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

red palm,

"neon green sea fern",

$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

"rare red branching"

Sorry to hear about the pipefish and mandarin :(
At least the tank is looking so much better now! All the scrubbing pays off :)

Sorry to hear about the pipefish and mandarin :(

At least the tank is looking so much better now! All the scrubbing pays off :)

Thanks, and yea it's been doing good, best results was with the rocks soaked in peroxide. Everything looked really happy yesterday and today. My duncans are getting huge, all the corals where really extended even the nem was puffed up larger than i've seen it. Looks like some the mushrooms are starting to split as well. Not sure why so happy. Been a while since my last water change. Only thing I can think of is the tank was a little warmer than normal @75f I don't have a heater and it's usually around 73 in winter. That and my ph was closer to 8.5 than it's typical barely 8.

Crappy cell pic but this was thurs, I propped the gorg back up and sucked the algae off today

aDnHEcS.jpg

Archived