Cultivated Reef

D3monic's nano fail 28- New Macros Here!

D3monic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Lost half my fish to Marine velvet. Only have a fire fish and the two yasha gobies left. :(

Got a web cam up temporarily but will probably move it and change hosting services. If anyone has one they would recommend that would be awesome.

http://ustre.am/1hzBE

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit since an update, diatomes and cyano been gone for a bit. Just a little byropsis left to combat but the sea hare eats at it as long as I clip it short. All inverts are alive and doing well. My sexy shrimp pair is spawning on a regular basis. Yasha goby pair rarely comes out from under rockwork but are alive and kicking. only the one firefish left from marine velvet outbreak.

Don't mind the shitty cell pics

http://s194.photobucket.com/user/amplexus67/media/Garden%202014/A%20New%20Reef/FEAB8D17-BFC0-43E8-AA42-1B6DD7743B23.jpg.html'>FEAB8D17-BFC0-43E8-AA42-1B6DD7743B23.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/user/amplexus67/media/Garden%202014/A%20New%20Reef/B948A0DF-89F9-4C58-B5C4-721FCD72E0C8.jpg.html'>B948A0DF-89F9-4C58-B5C4-721FCD72E0C8.jpg

Won't be adding any coral for a long while. Unemployment sucks.

• 1 year later...

Well ive neglected this tank for some time and diatomes and HA took over. I've been working on repairing the issue over the past few weeks. Believe it or not these pics are improvements. The stock jbj led lighting sucks for coral growth. I just picked up a few pieces of macro algae in hopes that it will help compete with the HA for nutrients and since algae is about the only thing this lighting seems good at growing.

IMG_57731.jpg

IMG_57751.jpg

Just placed an order with live-plants.com They didn't have much in stock.

Got some more C. Prolifera, blue hypnea and a purple ribbon gorgonian.

Can't wait until they have some more stuff in stock. I'm assuming it's a bit of an off season for them.

Maybe i'll get lucky and get some hitch hiker oxynoe from them again. Those where really cool and multiplied like crazy.

IMG_1916.jpg

Anyone have experience with phosphate RX? Looking at maybe trying it out to combat this HA but at samd time I don't want to kill off the new macros.

Should I remove carbon while treating?

I need to pick up some new test kits I can't find mine anywhere and I'm pretty sure my rez water has high phosphates either from the trash can or my RODI unit.

Ugly pic of the day

IMG_5795.jpg

I'm off work Tues. I'm going to take a tooth/scrub brush to the rocks and try to get the HA off. There's also a short tough red form of turf algae I don't mind so much other than it traps detritus and ect

Just ordered a new test kit and phosphate rx from amazon along with some seed baggies for mailing pepper seeds.

Hopefully they get here quick.

Changed my mind on the phosphate rx and cancelled it from the order. Did some more reading and it sounds like you have to have a skimmer for it to work properly and there was a lot of reports of fish deaths. I'll just stick to my macro algae plan and physical removal.

It's safe to assume a mexican turbo snail will eat macro algae? Not sure what to add clean up crew wise that would help keep the HA down while not eating all my macros. Far as I remember codium is like herbivore filet mignon.

If you want a good phosphate remover I personally use Extraxphos with no issues whatsoever. You need to get a phosphate test kit from hanna checker or salifert to get an accurate reading. Just keep the levels below 0.08 and you should experience a lot less nuisance algae. I also grow macro algae in my refugium using it as well. Turbo snails and banded trochus will help you out a lot as well with the hair algae.

If you want a good phosphate remover I personally use Extraxphos with no issues whatsoever. You need to get a phosphate test kit from hanna checker or salifert to get an accurate reading. Just keep the levels below 0.08 and you should experience a lot less nuisance algae. I also grow macro algae in my refugium using it as well. Turbo snails and banded trochus will help you out a lot as well with the hair algae.

Will the turbo go to town on the macro algae?

i'm a big fan of brightwell aquatics so I may have to give that a try. I have a bag of some phosphate remover in the media basket now and a test kit on the way.

I used to do the neozeo on my old reeftank and had beautiful results. Was also looking at the chemipure blue

Will the turbo go to town on the macro algae? i'm a big fan of brightwell aquatics so I may have to give that a try. I have a bag of some phosphate remover in the media basket now and a test kit on the way.

I used to do the neozeo on my old reeftank and had beautiful results. Was also looking at the chemipure blue

Turbos generally dont eat macroalgae. They're mouths are designed for scraping not chewing. I'm trying out chemipure blue myself for the first time and it seems to be working well but algae is a normal part of the ocean and is in fact a large part of natural reefs.

My tank looked this bad at one point. I tried everything. What did work was removing few of rocks at a time and doing 50% peroxide dips. I would do few rocks every week or so until was gone. Had to do couple rocks like twice but it went away. Remove corals from rocks if can. I would research peroxide dips little before doing but it saved me from getting out of this hobby.

I'm really not happy with the LED lighting on this tank. Too bright, too white, corals have hated it and bleached under it. I'm thinking about buying some replacements. After doing some searching it looks like nano tuners has some upgrade options. I've been really happy with them in the past.

My old 28gal was the nano tuners special 150watt hqi with two actinic florescents looked great and never had a problem growing anything.

This LED pro doesn't seem to get any growth at all.

I had the wife snap a quick picture for me just so I could see how it was doing. Water has cleared up but still quite a bit of HA left

IMG_5813.jpg

compared to a couple days ago

IMG_5795.jpg

I didn't realize the red scrub algae had gotten that bad. Maybe I will have to pick up a few turbo snails and pray that they eat it. It's really not that I mind it, more that it's a detritus sponge and traps debris in it leading to more HA outbreaks.

I made a huge mistake earlier while rushing to clean before I had to leave for work. I wasn't thinking and used the tap water that I was dipping my fingers in after pulling HA to do a revive dip on a few loose frags of zoas , duncans and acans.

The acans looked like shit before I left, covered in slime. I'll probably come home to skeletons when i get home :(

Trying to reintroduce a feeding dish. I never really used one much in this tank but the mandarin is getting thin and hopefully will keep some the food mess down. So far it's just a snail fest

_MG_1438.jpg

Mandarin did finally find it after all the food was covered in snail slime. She was only able to get a few pieces of mysis though.

_MG_1434.jpg

I really need to send my camera in for cleaning the picture quality has gone downhill significantly. Either that or google how to clean the sensor and stuff myself.

_MG_1427.jpg

_MG_1432.jpg

While a shell would look more natural i'm eyeballing these glass dishes for shrimp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161793986591?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

It's 14" from my sand bed to water level so the XL 37cm tube should work nice

Either that with one of the dishes or maybe something like this to keep it harder for the hermits and snails to get into

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquatic-Live-Plant-Growing-Pot-Bowl-Holder-w-Suction-Cup-for-Aquarium-Fish-Tank/201150481642?rt=nc&_soffid=5011607704&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Ok I got a temporary solution. Will raise the feeding dish up on a stand to keep the snails and crabs out and elevate it 2" off the sand bed. I got everything ready just need to run and grab some superglue

My tank looked this bad at one point. I tried everything. What did work was removing few of rocks at a time and doing 50% peroxide dips. I would do few rocks every week or so until was gone. Had to do couple rocks like twice but it went away. Remove corals from rocks if can. I would research peroxide dips little before doing but it saved me from getting out of this hobby.

I'm going to give this a try on a few of the smaller rocks, The big gaint one in the middle i'm going to hold off if I can. Hopefully get some turbo snails eat that red turf stuff too.

Archived