Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Simone's Mandarin Manor (Fusion 20) - Moving Madness

Simone

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michaelrzachmann

im curious as to what your husbandry is and how you keep that sand bed so clean!? Mine seems to get algae growing on it 3 days after water changes every time

Fishsticks2187

how long did it take for your protein skimmer to "break in". i have a nuvo16 with a desktop skimmer and its been over a month and still have microbubbles in my display tank

gorgeous tank by the way!!

Hi Simone, Can you tell me what the gorgoinan in the back left corner ( behind the spiral one) is? The purple one in your signature picture. My LFS got some of those and the purple ribbon gorgs in stock. I jnow the ribbon is photosynthetic, but they have no idea what the other one is or if it is photosynthetic. It looks exactly like the one in your pic, color and all. I would love to find out what it is. Your tank is truly inspiring and I am hoping to add a few nice photosynthetic gorgs to my tank. :)

I'm a little confused as to which gorgonian you're asking about but I can tell you that all the gorgs in my tank are photosynthetic and easy to care for except the red one with white polyps. Many NPS gorgs have white polyps or polyps that contrast dramatically with the color of the gorg. I would say it is very probable that the gorg at your LFS is photosynthetic and you should give it a try, making sure it gets enough flow that the branches wave gently.

im curious as to what your husbandry is and how you keep that sand bed so clean!? Mine seems to get algae growing on it 3 days after water changes every time

Um, I think its more that my camera whites out my sand bed than that my sand bed is clean unfortunately. I feed heavily and dose phyto so I do get some algae on the sand bed. When I do water changes I vacuum out the top layer of sand. I just had to add more sand to the tank because I had removed so much doing this. You can see what I do for filtration in the first post of this thread.

how long did it take for your protein skimmer to "break in". i have a nuvo16 with a desktop skimmer and its been over a month and still have microbubbles in my display tank

gorgeous tank by the way!!

I'm not exactly sure, I'd say about 3 weeks. Sorry I don't know much about skimmers so I can't give you any good advice. I actually just switched out my Ghost for a Pico Skim 2 because of the noise (tank is in my bedroom).

Would love to see an update of your tank now that it should be settling in!

Yeah I need to update my FTS but I get so frustrated trying to take good pictures and I keep putting off solving that problem. I think the last video gives a pretty good impression of the state of the tank right now though.

Polarcollision

Congrats on getting your license! That's a lot of hard work. Love all your new gorgs and the video. They really fill out the larger space well.

Polarcollision

Heads up that my mandy eats decap'd brine eggs like they're candy. Maybe your pipes will eat them too. She's snubbed her nose at everything else I've offered, aside from tisbe pods. They don't have much nutrition once they hatch and use up the yolk. Crossing fingers unhatched brine are not too far off from Ova nutritionally.

Heads up that my mandy eats decap'd brine eggs like they're candy. Maybe your pipes will eat them too. She's snubbed her nose at everything else I've offered, aside from tisbe pods. They don't have much nutrition once they hatch and use up the yolk. Crossing fingers unhatched brine are not too far off from Ova nutritionally.

Thanks for the suggestion Deb. :)

Actually one of the foods I've been using recently has some decapped brine eggs in it. You might want to try it for your mandy, it's a zooplankton mix called Zu-Feast that also contains pods (not live) and a small amount of prawn eggs ( omgomgomg ). I've been meaning to do a review of it. It's sold on Ebay and the seller also has some other interesting foods such as salmon eggs which I have yet to try.

Polarcollision

Thanks for the suggestion Deb. :)

Actually one of the foods I've been using recently has some decapped brine eggs in it. You might want to try it for your mandy, it's a zooplankton mix called Zu-Feast that also contains pods (not live) and a small amount of prawn eggs ( omgomgomg ). I've been meaning to do a review of it. It's sold on Ebay and the seller also has some other interesting foods such as salmon eggs which I have yet to try.

I was hoping to hear what you thought of Zu-Feast. It sounds pretty good! Love that little yellow circle icon. LOL She's eating nauplii regularly and brine eggs, but won't touch ROE or mysis or pellets yet. I keep putting them in her enclosure with fingers crossed, plus a couple nassarius snails to clean house. It sure is messy training them!

I was hoping to hear what you thought of Zu-Feast. It sounds pretty good! Love that little yellow circle icon. LOL She's eating nauplii regularly and brine eggs, but won't touch ROE or mysis or pellets yet. I keep putting them in her enclosure with fingers crossed, plus a couple nassarius snails to clean house. It sure is messy training them!

Yeah mysis, cyclopeeze, and Zu-Feast are my staple foods now. I've tried many other things for the pipefish including multiple types of roe but these are are the only foods that have proved successful (beside live foods and Ova).

Yes the training is messy and nerve-wracking but it's all worth it in the end. :) Just keep doing what you're doing and she will most likely start eating mysis at some point. Snails in the breeder box are a good idea, I never thought of doing that lol.

Polarcollision

Yeah mysis, cyclopeeze, and Zu-Feast are my staple foods now. I've tried many other things for the pipefish including multiple types of roe but these are are the only foods that have proved successful (beside live foods and Ova).

Yes the training is messy and nerve-wracking but it's all worth it in the end. :) Just keep doing what you're doing and she will most likely start eating mysis at some point. Snails in the breeder box are a good idea, I never thought of doing that lol.

Oh! Cyclopeeze. I completely forgot about that in the freezer. That might be a great cross-over to frozen from live. Wish I could claim brilliance for the snail idea. All 7 of them crawl out of the sand and swarm the outside of the box with their dirty little proboscis straining to get in. Only took pity on them. LOL

Frozen rotifers? I'll see if I can get over to fisherman's terminal for fresh salmon eggs. It's getting to the end of the seasonal runs, but there might be something left. Should I have them mail you some if I score?

Wish I could claim brilliance for the snail idea. All 7 of them crawl out of the sand and swarm the outside of the box with their dirty little proboscis straining to get in. Only took pity on them. LOL

That made me smile about the snails and their dirty little proboscis! I have them in my seahorse tank and when I feed the seahorses and pipefish it's the same thing. They rise out of the sand like zombies and slime sand all over my clean glass. LOL Its annoying but hey, they gotta eat, right?

Polarcollision

That made me smile about the snails and their dirty little proboscis! I have them in my seahorse tank and when I feed the seahorses and pipefish it's the same thing. They rise out of the sand like zombies and slime sand all over my clean glass. LOL Its annoying but hey, they gotta eat, right?

:-) Zombie proboscis.

Oh! Cyclopeeze. I completely forgot about that in the freezer. That might be a great cross-over to frozen from live. Wish I could claim brilliance for the snail idea. All 7 of them crawl out of the sand and swarm the outside of the box with their dirty little proboscis straining to get in. Only took pity on them. LOL

Frozen rotifers? I'll see if I can get over to fisherman's terminal for fresh salmon eggs. It's getting to the end of the seasonal runs, but there might be something left. Should I have them mail you some if I score?

Have not tried rotifiers; I think they may be too small. How big are the salmon eggs you have access to? I think this is the major factor in whether my pipefish will eat them. If they are 2 mm or less I'd like to give them a try.

Lol, yes the goo and sand they leave on the glass is quite annoying but they are good at their job and they always impress non-reefers to whom I show my tank.

So, not much new to report other than that I changed my Ghost skimmer out for a Pico Skim and am every happy with it so far. I also caved and bought an MP10.

I am still planning to get the mini fisheri seahorses soon so stay tuned for that in the next couple of weeks.

Here are two cool little videos about the research the California Academy of Sciences is doing with pygmy seahorses:

I am very excited to see your fisheri seahorses. There is a guy who has them on fusedjaw a seahorse forum. His username is Mo2. He wasn't thrilled with Ocean Rider, something about a mix up where the ponies were to be delivered but he has had good luck with them.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I haven't really been around on nano-reef because I got caught up with other life stuff and traveling.

I finally found a job! I will be an RN on a cardiac step-down unit at University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville. I'm moving in the middle of February. So needless to say this is not a good time for me to be getting seahorses. I haven't bought anything new for the tank so it looks pretty much as before.

I would really like to take my fish with me but am not sure I'll be able to. I'm looking into boarding them at my LFS while I drive across the country, setting up and cycling a tank ASAP, and having them shipped to me. Has anyone done this who can give me some tips? Also is there a particular place to buy the cooler and heat packs for shipping?

I think the corals I will unfortunately have to sell. I just can't see any other way as I am not flying and I don't think my LFS could care for them because they don't do coral. It kind of sucks to have to start from scratch as I like my corals and livestock is so expensive. :tears:

Hope everyone had a good holidays and that your tanks are thriving. :)

I had done the reverse before. Shipped my fish to my dad who had a tank and kept the fish in a breeder box in his tank for a week while I moved. I set up the tank but used my liverock from the move and gave a week to let things settle and everything moved wonderful. I dont see why that way wouldnt work. GL and Congrats!

Do you still have your Nuvo 8? Maybe you could find someone to watch the fish, and put the corals in the Nuvo 8, and leave that tank with someone to care for while you move. Take the bigger tank with you, and when you get settled and ready, have them ship the corals to you. Then you could have them ship the nuvo back to you at your convenience.

It might seem like a little extra work, but your corals are really beautiful, and might be worth trying to keep some of them. :wacko:

If you can spare a tub with some water, a heater, and an airstone I'd definitely try to at least take your live rock with you. Add some Dr. Tim's bacteria starter in the new place to mitigate any losses.

Agree with the suggestions above to see if there's anyone you can have babysit the corals and ship them out later. Definitely a bummer to start over from scratch with your nice corals.

ETA: silly me, CONGRATS on the new job! omgomgomg

Wow, that is very exciting about your new job! You are closer to my neck of the woods. If I were just a bit closer you could ship your corals to me and just come get them. I hope you are able to keep them as your tank is special.

Congratulations on the new job!

I hope you are able to work something out with your corals. If it were me, I would probably fill my car with half full 5 gallon buckets of everything and hope for the best... :unsure:

Archived