Coral Vue Hydros

Simone's Mandarin Manor (Fusion 20) - Moving Madness

Simone

in her cart at the beach

photo25.jpg

Love this pic. So many people put these dogs down. I have 2 English Bullies and had a 3rd at one point but I couldnt even put her in a cart because she had 3 torn ACL's from having spinabifida as a puppy and they said she wouldnt have even survived the ACL surgery. Almost got a French Bully but stuck with English. Bullies are some of the best dogs I have ever owned. LOVE THEM!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The picture of Macy in her cart actually brought tears to me eyes, I'm such a sap. She just looks so happy. She was lucky to have you adopt her!

Edit: Rocky's results came back positive. Lowest grade and no further treatment needed for now. Thanks for the concern :)

Love this pic. So many people put these dogs down. I have 2 English Bullies and had a 3rd at one point but I couldnt even put her in a cart because she had 3 torn ACL's from having spinabifida as a puppy and they said she wouldnt have even survived the ACL surgery. Almost got a French Bully but stuck with English. Bullies are some of the best dogs I have ever owned. LOVE THEM!

The picture of Macy in her cart actually brought tears to me eyes, I'm such a sap. She just looks so happy. She was lucky to have you adopt her!

Edit: Rocky's results came back positive. Lowest grade and no further treatment needed for now. Thanks for the concern :)

Thanks guys, yes bullies are the best! It is true that they have lots of health problems, I've definitely lived that first hand, but Macy is still loving life and I find it to be totally worth it. This conversation has got me thinking it would be interesting to have a thread for people to share about their other pets outside their reef tanks. What do you think?

So glad to hear Rocky doesn't need further treatment. This is the same thing that happened to Macy and it has been 3 or 4 years and it has not recurred. Hope it will be the same for you :happy:

That pic of Macy with her cart is priceless. & yay on the new tank goodies! I'm upgrading to a Fusion 20 too but my LFS just emailed to say they're not expected in for another 2 weeks :angry:

That pic of Macy with her cart is priceless. & yay on the new tank goodies! I'm upgrading to a Fusion 20 too but my LFS just emailed to say they're not expected in for another 2 weeks :angry:

Thanks! Awesome to hear you're upgrading too! Any reason you don't want to order from Marine Depot? I did and the tank was packed very well.

Thanks! Awesome to hear you're upgrading too! Any reason you don't want to order from Marine Depot? I did and the tank was packed very well.

Just figured I'd go with my LFS this time. I already made my down payment so I'm fine with waiting. & now that my custom cube hasn't turned out very well I'm thinking of getting a Pico 20g instead, so the new tanks would be here around the same time.

Just figured I'd go with my LFS this time. I already made my down payment so I'm fine with waiting. & now that my custom cube hasn't turned out very well I'm thinking of getting a Pico 20g instead, so the new tanks would be here around the same time.

Thats exciting, I've heard such great things about PicO! I'll definitely be following along. A custom 30 x 15 x 13 PicO will be my final upgrade for this tank when I finally move. It will be my first sumped tank.

Here's a small update. We just dropped the stand frame at the powder coaters and will get it back Monday or Tuesday. Then the wood panels, door pulls, and legs will be added and we will be good to go. After the stand is finished I will do the swap ASAP as I am unemployed and obsessed with my aquariums. ;)

Here is a pic of the stand while my bf was testing the fit of the wood panels. The blue is just painter's tape.

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Tank%20Upgrade/photo27.jpg.html'>photo27.jpg

Here is another video, a funny one that was taken several weeks ago when my male mandarin was still quite thin. The star of the video though is Hippo, my tail spot blenny who managed to get a piece of food attached to the top of his head and kept chasing it around trying to eat it.

That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen!

That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen!

I know! I couldn't believe I captured it. Love that fish even though it eats most macros I try to put in the tank.

So I started my leak test just now and am running the pump to see how much evap there is. I am using my new Sicce 1.5 pump with the stock Y tubing. I have to say that so far I am not impressed; the flow from the returns is not strong at all (which is at least partially the fault of the Y) and the pump isn't as quiet as I expected. Hopefully the noise will lessen in time. I think I will ditch the Y tubing and add a second pump so the returns are separate and the flow is not impeded. I already have an MJ900 so it won't cost me anything.

Another issue is I realized the custom caddy seems too puny for a clump of chaeto. None of the inTank fuges fit well either. Maybe I'll have my bf try to make me a larger basket that would fit in the second chamber; they just got a c and c machine at his work. It's becoming a trend for my bf to do all the DIY for me lol.

I know! I couldn't believe I captured it. Love that fish even though it eats most macros I try to put in the tank.

So I started my leak test just now and am running the pump to see how much evap there is. I am using my new Sicce 1.5 pump with the stock Y tubing. I have to say that so far I am not impressed; the flow from the returns is not strong at all (which is at least partially the fault of the Y) and the pump isn't as quiet as I expected. Hopefully the noise will lessen in time. I think I will ditch the Y tubing and add a second pump so the returns are separate and the flow is not impeded. I already have an MJ900 so it won't cost me anything.

Another issue is I realized the custom caddy seems too puny for a clump of chaeto. None of the inTank fuges fit well either. Maybe I'll have my bf try to make me a larger basket that would fit in the second chamber; they just got a c and c machine at his work. It's becoming a trend for my bf to do all the DIY for me lol.

Hmm good to know about the flow issues. I have a Sicce 1.5 planned for this tank too. Guess I might use the stock pump and the Sicce.

Hmm good to know about the flow issues. I have a Sicce 1.5 planned for this tank too. Guess I might use the stock pump and the Sicce.

Another thing I realized is that the diameter of the hard plastic return where it connects to the top of the Y is 1/2 inch and thus 1/2 inch ID tubing is used for the upper arms of the Y while the tubing for the vertical portion of the Y that connects to the pump is 5/8th !D. I am going to try to get a 1/2 inch to 5/8th converter piece. If I can't get that get that I will buy 1/2 inch tubing and stretch it a little to fit on the return.

You have a really cool little tank. I can't wait to see what you do with the new one!

Thanks, appreciate the complement :blush:

Here's a question for your guys: I got mini reef flakes live sand. Because my new tank is going in the same place as my old tank I can't leave the 8 gallon up while I'm preparing the new tank. Thus I'm going to have to put my livestock in the new tank very soon after I fill it so they aren't in a bucket for too long. I know you aren't supposed to have to wash live sand but I thought maybe I should since I really can't afford a cloudy tank. Also I've read that the "liveness" of the sand is debatable anyway. Any advice on this? If you have used the same sand how cloudy was it initially?

Another thing I realized is that the diameter of the hard plastic return where it connects to the top of the Y is 1/2 inch and thus 1/2 inch ID tubing is used for the upper arms of the Y while the tubing for the vertical portion of the Y that connects to the pump is 5/8th !D. I am going to try to get a 1/2 inch to 5/8th converter piece. If I can't get that get that I will buy 1/2 inch tubing and stretch it a little to fit on the return.

Thanks, appreciate the complement :blush:

Here's a question for your guys: I got mini reef flakes live sand. Because my new tank is going in the same place as my old tank I can't leave the 8 gallon up while I'm preparing the new tank. Thus I'm going to have to put my livestock in the new tank very soon after I fill it so they aren't in a bucket for too long. I know you aren't supposed to have to wash live sand but I thought maybe I should since I really can't afford a cloudy tank. Also I've read that the "liveness" of the sand is debatable anyway. Any advice on this? If you have used the same sand how cloudy was it initially?

I used the the dry reef flakes and the live mini flakes bags to set up my current tank. I didn't think it was too dusty, but there was a little film that coated everything in the tank. I would say that it cleared up in about 4-5 hours with the skimmer running to get the particles out of the water.

If you want to rinse the live sand, just use some old tank water to give it a quick rinse before you put it in the tank and fill the new tank up.

Simone, you've been busy while I was gone! Looks like you are making great progress on the new tank. That's great about you being able to get some things from Felicia. Her pony paradise was spectacular with the corals, gorgs and sponges. I am very sorry about your pipefish- that stinks. I am looking forward to watching your tank and anxious to see it wet!

I used the the dry reef flakes and the live mini flakes bags to set up my current tank. I didn't think it was too dusty, but there was a little film that coated everything in the tank. I would say that it cleared up in about 4-5 hours with the skimmer running to get the particles out of the water.

If you want to rinse the live sand, just use some old tank water to give it a quick rinse before you put it in the tank and fill the new tank up.

Thanks for the advice; I appreciate it!

Simone, you've been busy while I was gone! Looks like you are making great progress on the new tank. That's great about you being able to get some things from Felicia. Her pony paradise was spectacular with the corals, gorgs and sponges. I am very sorry about your pipefish- that stinks. I am looking forward to watching your tank and anxious to see it wet!

Yeah I am so impatient to start the tank! I really hope we will get the stand back tomorrow and put it together. I feel so lucky to be getting livestock from Felicia's amazing tank. I feel like the tank will basically be full after adding her corals. I went to a bunch of LFSs today and succeeded in not buying any corals, it was very difficult. ;)

I was glad to read on your thread that your trip went well and your tanks are in good shape. I can't wait to see your ponies!!! I feel the only thing I regret about my aquarium is that I can't have seahorses, saw some today and they are just so mesmerizing in person.

Yes it was an awesome trip! There were 17 of us that went from my church and trips like these are such a good time of bonding, both with our team and with the missionaries we went to help.

O yeah, your pup Macy is so cute. I love it that she is so happy and well adjusted to the cart. We have a shinese, (shin tzu-pekinese mix)and he is such a joy.

So today I took out the Y tubing connecting the pump to the returns and put in a separate pump for each return. The flow is sooo much better. I would advise anyone buying a Fusion 20 to plan to do separate pumps. I have a Sicce 1.5 and an MJ900, it's a tight fit but it works.

Also did a little mod on my Tunze 6020 to keep the fish out. Just super glued a piece of a mesh media bag to the opening of the pump. I tested it and I think it will be a great little pump, the flow is relatively strong and non-laminar and it seems quiet. Hopefully will be able to hide it behind a rock or something.

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Tank%20Upgrade/photo24-1.jpg.html'>photo24-1.jpg

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Tank%20Upgrade/photo14.jpg.html'>photo14.jpg

I'm finding it challenging to fit all the different filtration products that I want to use into the back chambers. In that light I can definitely appreciate the advantages of a sump. Below is my plan as of now. I'd love any advice or to hear what others are doing with filtration in this tank. Please excuse the crude drawing. :lol: (Also in reality there isn't any space around the pumps as shown.)

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Tank%20Upgrade/photo33.jpg.html'>photo33.jpg

Praying we will finish the stand tomorrow and get the tank up Wednesday.

Obsessed Reefer

In my chambers I have it as follows, looking at the tank from the front, left to right;

| Media Basket w/ Filter Floss & Filter Pad | NeoTherm & MiniMax w/ SeaGel | Temp, MJ1200, ATO | GhostSkimmer | Media Basket w/ Floss|

I want to turn one chamber into a Fuge, because I would love to have a mandarin. What fuge light are you going to use?

Polarcollision

You're going to be so happy with the work a skimmer does that you might not even need the chaeto, especially so if a nice-looking macroalgae grows in the main display (ochtodes, red titan, string of pearls, etc). I was going to do a water change this weekend, but nitrates and phosphates are almost undetectable. That's with a skimmer, filter floss, carbon and phosban (passive flow, no reactor).

Even if you're set on the chaeto area, your setup looks pretty good to me!

Oh God I reorganized my photobucket and now all my picture links are gone! I will have to redo them. What a pain and a stupid feature of photobucket.

I created a photobucket account today. The interface looks nice but I agree broken links because of moving pictures around is very frustrating. Also, how do you move a bunch of photos at once? I had to do it one by one. Even delete is one by one...

In my chambers I have it as follows, looking at the tank from the front, left to right;

| Media Basket w/ Filter Floss & Filter Pad | NeoTherm & MiniMax w/ SeaGel | Temp, MJ1200, ATO | GhostSkimmer | Media Basket w/ Floss|

I want to turn one chamber into a Fuge, because I would love to have a mandarin. What fuge light are you going to use?

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good setup.

I got the JBJ light on sale from Premium Aquatics. To make the fuge I'm going to steal jbb's idea to cut pieces of eggcrate to fit the chamber and glue magnets to them to hold in place. The piece at the top would have filter floss on top, then the chaeto, then at the bottom another piece of floss resting on another piece of eggcrate to keep the chaeto in place.

Not sure how much research you've done on the mandarins but here's a few things you might find helpful:

I've read that pods often don't make it into the display because they are killed by the return pump so to give your mandy's some pods, take a bunch of chaeto out of the fuge and shake it in the display. You might want to do this at night so the pods have time to hide and don't get eaten all at once.

You can use pods to supplement their diet but in a nano they must be trained onto frozen to survive. Based on my limited experience and stories from others, I would say that you should always use the breeder box method to train your mandarin. Letting them into the display immediately allows them to avoid the food you are offering and just hunt pods. Both my mandy's ate frozen within a day or two in the box. If you've used the breeder box method for several weeks and they are still only eating the live food (which I don't think is likely) or are emaciated or lethargic, then you should consider rehoming them to a tank with tons of pods before they starve to death. This is why it is so important to get a mandy who is not already starved past help because they will not be able to make it through this process. The Matt Pedersen article describing the breeder box method is in this issue of Coral Magazine:

http://coralmagazine...al/20111112#pg1

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I just worry sometimes that people see that I have 2 mandy's in an 8 gallon and underestimate the commitment it takes to keep these fish. Not that I'm an expert and I hope I don't sound stuck up or patronizing. I don't think it's hard to keep mandarins but it does require commitment to training them. They are amazing fish that I think are totally worth the effort.

You're going to be so happy with the work a skimmer does that you might not even need the chaeto, especially so if a nice-looking macroalgae grows in the main display (ochtodes, red titan, string of pearls, etc). I was going to do a water change this weekend, but nitrates and phosphates are almost undetectable. That's with a skimmer, filter floss, carbon and phosban (passive flow, no reactor).

Even if you're set on the chaeto area, your setup looks pretty good to me!

I actually have a skimmer already but I don't think its working at full efficiency because it's jammed into the third chamber (so it doesn't get good flow) and my bioload is quite high so my nitrates are still 2-5. But maybe I'm still thinking with the mentality of a smaller tank. The bioload of the tank will basically be the same but the volume of water is much higher so it makes sense that I wouldn't need all the things I'm planning.

The main reason I wanted a fuge though is for the pods. They can't establish a population in the display because of the mandys and the fact that I can't keep many macros because my tailspot blenny eats them. I love the little guy but it's really annoying when he eats $30 worth of macros. I've considered rehoming him but don't have the heart to. You had a TSB; do you know of macros they don't eat?

Honestly I think nutritionally my mandys are fine without a lot of pods. They get cyclopeeze everyday, which are just frozen pods. But I feel guilty of depriving them of the ability to hunt.

So I'm undecided about the fuge I guess.

I created a photobucket account today. The interface looks nice but I agree broken links because of moving pictures around is very frustrating. Also, how do you move a bunch of photos at once? I had to do it one by one. Even delete is one by one...

It took me awhile to figure this out too. There is a toggle switch icon in the top left of the section that displays the thumbnails of your photos that says "Organize". Switch that on and you will be able to select multiple things at the same time by pressing "shift when you select a photo. Then you can move or delete the selected photos as a group.

It took me awhile to figure this out too. There is a toggle switch icon in the top left of the section that displays the thumbnails of your photos that says "Organize". Switch that on and you will be able to select multiple things at the same time by pressing "shift when you select a photo. Then you can move or delete the selected photos as a group.

*mind blown*. I was wondering what that toggle was for. They should just rename it "Batch Edit" or something.

Archived