ReefCleaners.org

Jebao RW-8 vortech style pump review

05XRunner

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

This looks like a dang nice pump. I which they made one for tiny pico tanks. I'd buy one instantly for my 4 gallon cadlights.

ClownTriggerDude

Received my WP-4 today and played around with in in our almost ready again,.....29g, BioCube.

Guys, I can not be happier and excited to get the tank filled with the live sand, rock and adding corals !

So far, all the modes work perfect and just this pump alone, will work great for most corals in my wife Patty's reef.

I wish I could make a short video of it working, but the engine builder I HAD for my 427 Shelby Cobra, went bankrupt and evidently, kept my $900 camcorder, bad and tripod, so I believe I'll never see them again.

With it's small size, it should be fairly easy to hide it behind the rock scapping. I'm up and down most nights with pain, and this tank is in the living room, so I'll see what I need to do about shielding the electronic eye for the night time mode.

Anyway, I just love this powerhead and the controller !

Received my WP-4 today and played around with in in our almost ready again,.....29g, BioCube.

Guys, I can not be happier and excited to get the tank filled with the live sand, rock and adding corals !

So far, all the modes work perfect and just this pump alone, will work great for most corals in my wife Patty's reef.

I wish I could make a short video of it working, but the engine builder I HAD for my 427 Shelby Cobra, went bankrupt and evidently, kept my $900 camcorder, bad and tripod, so I believe I'll never see them again.

With it's small size, it should be fairly easy to hide it behind the rock scapping. I'm up and down most nights with pain, and this tank is in the living room, so I'll see what I need to do about shielding the electronic eye for the night time mode.

Anyway, I just love this powerhead and the controller !

Can you take a picture of it next to a ruler for us? Phone camera or w/e :)

ClownTriggerDude

We are the only,....people on the planet that don't have cell phones, since I'm at home most of the time.

But, I'll see if I can barrow someone's cell. I do have a tablet computer that can take video and pics, but I don't have a UBS type cord to connect to my desktop computer.

My camera is also photo and movie capable, and I do have a cord for it, so I'll see if it will work.

ClownTriggerDude

Reef Nerd-

Here's some pics. Sorry I did not use a measuring tape, but you can still see the size in relation to the tank and the current near the top. The location was just for testing and I'll place it in the middle of the back wall once I have the sand and rock back in.

I bought and like very much, the" Hydor Rotating Water Deflector", that slips on the return tube that's built in the bio wall on the BioCube. As it rotates, it relives the water surface tension, so with it and the WP-4 they should be all that's needed.

YouTube has several videos showing how it works. So far, it's great.

post-82203-0-17333700-1405729265_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-46029700-1405729267_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-65610200-1405729269_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-87139400-1405729271_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-09828500-1405729274_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-23702600-1405729276_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread has been thoroughly entertaining LOL.

From what I gather Vortechs are the Luxury brand and Jebao is the Hyundai. But they will both get you from point A to point B with most of the same features, although the Vortechs are significantly safer.

Also, being compared to Apple is not the greatest thing anymore. Now a days it means you were once innovative and the top dog, and now you are playing catch up to features others have been using since 2010 and most of the people still using your product also belong to AARP :-p

I bought and like very much, the" Hydor Rotating Water Deflector", that slips on the return tube that's built in the bio wall on the BioCube. As it rotates, it relives the water surface tension, so with it and the WP-4 they should be all that's needed.

Off topic but..

I wouldn't rely on that thing if I were you. I used one in a freshwater tank a couple years ago, it ran great for a short while then start getting stuck and depending on where it was pointed would blow sand or plants all over the tank. I wouldn't risk it in a reef tank, I woke up a couple times to a sand bed with a giant crater and every one in the tank looking angry.

I started having to take it apart every day or two just to keep it working so I scrapped it. Maybe you'll have better luck but definitely keep an eye on it.

I have two RW-15's in my 150 now along with my MP40's. The wireless feature is crap, you can't sync or anti-sync as far as I can tell, but you can control modes with the master pump. I don't mind because I like the chaos of un-synced pumps in wave mode but I'm wondering if I missed a setup step with these.

I like how much water they move but I'm waiting to see how much power they lose over time. My WP25's needed monthly cleaning to stay at full power and with these new pumps I was unable to twist the cover off.

Just put in an rw-8 in my tank a couple hours ago. Really like it...except there's an annoying "whirring" noise.

I hope it just need a break in period, it's the loudest thing on my tank.

Just put in an rw-8 in my tank a couple hours ago. Really like it...except there's an annoying "whirring" noise.

I hope it just need a break in period, it's the loudest thing on my tank.

What size tank do you have? I'm considering an RW-4 for my 40b.

What size tank do you have? I'm considering an RW-4 for my 40b.

Dimensions are 36x14x13. Still playing around with modes, but likely won't need more than 30% power.

Also, for the whirring noise, I just poked the propeller around a little (turn it off first LOL) and it went away. Very quiet now.

So I'm seriously going to order one of the Jebao RW series pumps.

I have a 40 breeder, what is the opinon, should I get a RW-4 or an RW-8.

I might entertain the idea of 2 RW-4's but not 100% sure on that... I think overall I would rather just have 1 pump. My initaly thought is to get the RW-8 just in-case the RW-4 isn't enough. But if someone has experience that says otherwise the Rw-4 is a little bit smaller...

I just don't see many reviews with an RW-4 as the sole flow generator in a 40b tank size.

Here's the RW8 running in my tank:

Way too much power to go past the lowest modes. I'm keeping mine on W1, Speed 2, with the wave frequency mid/low.

Ive been running a rw4 for 4 months now and I have been running it as an in between pump till my gyre 30/35 comes out. I ran / still run at full speed in else mode haven't cleaned it haven't touched it just keeps running I'm impressed got it on amazon shipped for $55 I'm impressed. Should have gotten a rw8 for the 3' fusion 30l but the rw4 seems to continue doing its job which is just great.

Archived