Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jebao RW-8 vortech style pump review

05XRunner

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just tired of people comparing the two and insisting that because the vortech is expensive it is a bad purchase. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Jebaos aren't Vortechs, and Vortechs aren't Jabeos....I am really curious on those! Look pretty sweet! Can't find much info on them yet though...

Buy both and then you can be a fanboi of both.

Honestly, you get no points for being in/on one team or the other.

This is a separate post, merged by forum:

How much is the Riptide?

Wire in the water, again a valid objection.

masterbuilder

I was rumored that the Riptide was in the $200 range. As far as the wire thing, might not be noticeable since the Riptide can sit right near the top of the tank. Interesting device, will be watching.

So looking at the riptide and wondering if it will pulse or just flow steady. I can believe no one came up with this idea before. Pretty simple

Thank you for the review on the RW8

Paleoreef103

So looking at the riptide and wondering if it will pulse or just flow steady. I can believe no one came up with this idea before. Pretty simple

Thank you for the review on the RW8

They said it can pulse and reverse. Anyway, I'm excited for the long term tests for the RW-8s and the Riptides.

jedimasterben

Just tired of people comparing the two and insisting that because the vortech is expensive it is a bad purchase. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Jebaos aren't Vortechs, and Vortechs aren't Jabeos....

So what did I have to do with that? That was what the :huh: was for. :)

Steensj2004

So what did I have to do with that? That was what the :huh: was for. :)

Sorry Jedi, that wasn't directed toward you.

Just to mix things up even more. I'd get one of these if the Maxspect Riptide hadn't been announced. But now I'm just gonna use my tunze pumps until the Riptide is released. WOOOOOOOO

Yeaaaahh boiiii... I hope they make a battery backup for it. Then I will pee my pants!

Yeaaaahh boiiii... I hope they make a battery backup for it. Then I will pee my pants!

Might be able to mod the Vortech backup to work. I wouldn't think the electrical properties between the motors would be much different. Or could rig up a relay and a battery pack to kick in when the power goes out. Wire the relay as normally open and when the power goes out the relay switches to battery. Uh oh, I've given myself some more ideas. Could go rip the relays and such out of an old car and use a small car battery to power your entire tank during a power outage. Crap, I already have too much I want/need to do to my tank already.

I bought an urchin on wednesday. I cant use this pump, and I would like to, it puts wires in the tank. Its topical, even if you dont agree. Bare uninsulated wires would be put pure voltage into the tank, not just stray.

Besides that there are electrical components only blocked off from an epoxy or maybe even a cheap silicone depending on how shitty the manufacturer wants to be...... Some of these (especially the cheaper ones) break down (sw, or even soaking in vinegar when cleaning and have the potential to fail (without notice or anything even since they could b in areas we can't see even when we take the pumps apart to clean....) which then allows water and electrical components to mingle.... By not having a wire in the tank for the vortech it also means it doesnt have electrical components in the tank at all which is a huge + and well worth a few extra hundos IMO. I've said it before and I will say it again, If ecotech (or anyone for that matter) would design a return pump where the motor is out of the tank and seperate from the parts that actually move the water I would gladly pay a premium to remove that cord and electrical component from my tank... same with a heater (which is why I don't even keep on in my tanks during the summer....)

I don't understand why the Jebaos are being so directly compared to the Vortechs in the first place. They really dont have much in common other than they are both controllable pumps, with the Jebaos having somewhat limited control.

IMO...they are a knock off of the controllable Tunze pumps. Thats where the comparison should begin.

Because there isn't quite as much of a price difference so it doesn't seem as cool to compare un untested new product to one that isn't significantly more expensive. And it helps those that don't want to/ cant spent that much for a pump to feel better like they are getting "equal quality/design and features" for pennies on the dollar.

Just replaced the shaft and backplate of the wetside for 20.00....do that with your Jebao...lol

Why when they can replace the entire wetside for $100 LOL

WP's are going to be popping up soon, I know I'll be selling my wp-25's here soon. Great review.

Curious.... will you be able to get 75+% of your original expense back when you sell it.... FWIW I have seen wp-25s go for $20-25 (which is what maybe 50%) only used for a couple months or less..... I can't imagine what they will go down to when the market is flooded with used ones because people are jumping on this lol.

I know I can easily sell my mp-40 for $300 (I paid $400 BNIB from a retailer w/ full warranty) and it is 2 yrs old and out of warranty lol

Curious.... will you be able to get 75+% of your original expense back when you sell it.... FWIW I have seen wp-25s go for $20-25 (which is what maybe 50%) only used for a couple months or less..... I can't imagine what they will go down to when the market is flooded with used ones because people are jumping on this lol.

I know I can easily sell my mp-40 for $300 (I paid $400 BNIB from a retailer w/ full warranty) and it is 2 yrs old and out of warranty lol

Exactly. I don't understand how people can complain about the price of a vortech. Buy an mp10 for $235, use it for three years and then sell it for $165. You spent a whopping $70 to use the best powerhead on the market for three years. Do the same comparison with a jebao, you have just realized that you are spending the same amount to use Chinese crap.

sorry if you think vortech are the best out there. I had an mp40 for 1 day a few weeks ago and sold it next day. Way to loud and I didn't like it's flow pattern. I actually felt the wp25 had a better flow pattern in tank. So if you wanna say it's my opinion that vortech isn't worth the cash it's opinion only it's best pump as I don't think it is at all. I have more hobbies then this and don't wanna blow a ton for things not needed. To say someone can't spend it. I have a photography hobby and one lens cost as much as 3 of those cheaply built mp40. So has nothing to do with can't it's I won't waste my money on something not worth its, price. Enough vortech bs this is to help people looking to buy an rw8 and to see how good it's bang for buck is.

Enough vortech bs this is to help people looking to buy an rw8 and to see how good it's bang for buck is.

You shouldn't have compared the two if you didn't want to start a debate.

I had an mp40 for 1 day a few weeks ago and sold it next day. Way to loud and I didn't like it's flow pattern.

1 whole day huh LMFAO!!!!!!!!! Bet you either didn't have it aligned properly, or didn't give it time to quiet down, which they do. Out of the box the bearings have been sitting and maybe not so well lubed up or whatever I really don't know what causes it but it is common (and again when properly aligned they quiet down) and they can be a little loud initially. Hell I thought the same thing, called ecotech and they sent me another one no problem, to play with for a month before deciding which to send back, they both quieted down within the 1st few days and ran flawlessly for the other couple weeks I ran them both in and out of sync. My original has been super quiet since.

I've heard people thought their wp pumps were loud to (and had issues with their controllers, etc.), maybe someone could call jebao and see if they will send you a 2nd one to compare for like a month without paying anything extra (including return shipping) lol

Well it is styled after an mp10 so wtf would I compare it to a maxijet1200. Obviously you don't have much better things to do Chris then sit on NR and run your mouth. As I see you have over 3000 post in 1 year. But I guess that makes you the expert and elitest you are trying to come off as like your someone special cause you have a vortech.

1 whole day huh LMFAO!!!!!!!!! Bet you either didn't have it aligned properly, or didn't give it time to quiet down, which they do. Out of the box the bearings have been sitting and maybe not so well lubed up or whatever I really don't know what causes it but it is common (and again when properly aligned they quiet down) and they can be a little loud initially. Hell I thought the same thing, called ecotech and they sent me another one no problem, to play with for a month before deciding which to send back, they both quieted down within the 1st few days and ran flawlessly for the other couple weeks I ran them both in and out of sync. My original has been super quiet since. I've heard people thought their wp pumps were loud to (and had issues with their controllers, etc.), maybe someone could call jebao and see if they will send you a 2nd one to compare for like a month without paying anything extra (including return shipping) lol
He didn't like the flow pattern of the mp40, the wp25 was better. Then buys a rw-8 because it looks more like a vortech, but now the flow pattern is better than the wp25. I'm just gonna leave now.

wtf would I compare it to
A tunze, this has been established.

Well it is styled after an mp10 so wtf would I compare it to a maxijet1200.

You could compare it to a mj1200, it looks similar and has a cord in the water. I ran them on a timer back in the day and created a wave so yeah, definitely mj replacements.

Obviously you don't have much better things to do Chris then sit on NR and run your mouth. As I see you have over 3000 post in 1 year. But I guess that makes you the expert and elitest you are trying to come off as like your someone special cause you have a vortech.

Caught me, I am a retired 30 yr old.... darn lol Not really an elitist tho, I like a good deal unfortunately putting my animals at a greater risk for a fraction of what could be at stake isn't a good deal.............

Besides if either of us is elitist its you, I mean you will continue to buy new pumps for years to come surely spending more in the long run then I will on my vortech that has been flawless for 2 years but your already getting a new pump and it hasn't even been a yr prolly, then they will come out with another one and you will buy that, and another and buy that.... cuz hey why not they are cheaper then buying a vortech lol

He didn't like the flow pattern of the mp40, the wp25 was better. Then buys a rw-8 because it looks more like a vortech, but now the flow pattern is better than the wp25. I'm just gonna leave now.

Well yeah he didn't like the mp40, the rw-8 is more like a mp10 LOL

alright I'm done too....

05X just leave the fanboys be.

For the record, I own a blue box mp10. It's nice but honestly I probably won't buy another one.

Well this thread went to $hit. Vortechs are nice but, honestly don't think they're worth their price tag. I've owned an mp10 previously and hated it.

Well this thread went to $hit. Vortechs are nice but, honestly don't think they're worth their price tag. I've owned an mp10 previously and hated it.

But them damn cords be messing up your photos.... :ninja:

DSC_0193_zps86bd0ea6.jpg

I'm goddamn speechless right now. Had I only spent $400+ on a powerhead I would have had a perfect picture.

I am not going to jump in as an expert "26 years in the hobby and 40+ differnt systems and 4 reefs right not" . By no means am I cheap and if I had 1 tank that needed 1 flow pump maybe then I would use an MP but I dont. I have 7 flow pumps running right now and the difference between 500$ and 2500$ is a lot just to not have some wires in the tank. This argument has been going one ever since the wp came out and I dont get why. I am much more interested in my corals and fish then a wire in my tank. I have had 7 WPs for over a year and not one has had any stray voltage. I had one WP that stoped and I thought well ok I am out 70$. Took it apart cleaned it put it back in and its been working again for 2 months. Crazy Eyes that one you got from chad I pulled apart and cleaned the shaft and its running fine now.

The next issue is everyone is so worried about stray voltage!!! I had a mag5 shorting out to where I was getting nailed when I put my hand in the tank. Didnt bother the fish or my 3 carpet nems or several thousands worth of coral. Yes I did change it out but I did not rush. The pump was still working. Next and this is my favorite part of this, when my pump went bad it was 110v ac right? the WPs and MPs and other run what DC voltage and only 24volt at max and almost no amps. This being in your tank would do nothing for a short period of time say a week. How many of us dont put our hand in our tank in 1 week?

The Idea of the MP is very nice and for a lot of people its the right pump. Like I said if I had just one tank and I was going to just work on that tank for years then I might buy MPs. Nothing wrong with getting WPs to start with and later stepping up to MPs if you want. I hear people complain about the MPs just as much as the WPs. Yes the MPs are a cleaner look but I dont see any better performance

There is no reason to argue about this. No reason to lash out at others Everyone has different opinions. I bet everyone has really nice tanks.

NirvanaandTool

I'm looking forward to the Wp fire sale as everyone upgrades to these. Figure I can snag a 25 or two for water mixing duties. Will certainly be a nice upgrade over my old koralia's.

I'm torn between these, the Riptide and a Mp40 or two for my 90. I've got two Mp10esw's and they are great on my 40 but they will not be enough on my 90. A pump is a pump imo, who cares who makes it as long as it gets the job done.

Archived