Cultivated Reef

Mike's First Reef Tank (SOLD! 2/9/16)

michaelrzachmann

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

So far i can't say enough about this light, it looks leagues better than what i had before. Best thing i ever bought for this tank. Day two after rescape now that everything is opening up and less pissed off i am liking the scape much better... since i love photo heavy threads... more pics! Will post video later tonight

Updated FTS

66502F5F-0A28-4089-91DF-0F7AA569DD4C_zps

Potential Zoa Garden

E7FF0B1B-C19A-43B7-9B27-B833F0F291AE_zps

Looking great! I also love my A160we! Now you just have to go crazy like I did and take off the rim! Any updates?

New scape looks good, I liked the old scape as well. :) Don't call Dawn brother. :D

Ha ha, I have probably been called worse.

That frogspawn sure is growing like weeds!

• 1 month later...
michaelrzachmann

Agreed, I definitely like the new 'scape better :)

New scape looks good, I liked the old scape as well. :) Don't call Dawn brother. :D

Looking great! I also love my A160we! Now you just have to go crazy like I did and take off the rim! Any updates?

Ha ha, I have probably been called worse.

That frogspawn sure is growing like weeds!

Thanks a lot everyone. Much appreciated. Took a few pics today, everything is pretty much the same since the rescape. I think im finally starting to get the lighting schedule dialed in and starting to get growth again now. I kept thinking i had the intensity of the kessil too high but since i have been slowly ramping it back up now to 70% max intensity the SPS and RBTA are starting to to color up more. I dont know if its because i just have much better flow since the rescape but there has been way less algae and on less water changes and with less live rock so i am just going to assume that is why. My sandbed never looked this white lol

8985E805-A5F6-4128-9564-E2B0E7BBE5AA_zps

BC659410-C143-4C36-81D6-D20B1BF64EE5_zps

8A372493-643E-476D-9C1F-824B8B0DE384_zps

971CEB2F-D644-4BAA-821B-2DF4AA2C64C7_zps

Thanks a lot everyone. Much appreciated. Took a few pics today, everything is pretty much the same since the rescape. I think im finally starting to get the lighting schedule dialed in and starting to get growth again now. I kept thinking i had the intensity of the kessil too high but since i have been slowly ramping it back up now to 70% max intensity the SPS and RBTA are starting to to color up more. I dont know if its because i just have much better flow since the rescape but there has been way less algae and on less water changes and with less live rock so i am just going to assume that is why. My sandbed never looked this white lol

8985E805-A5F6-4128-9564-E2B0E7BBE5AA_zps

BC659410-C143-4C36-81D6-D20B1BF64EE5_zps

8A372493-643E-476D-9C1F-824B8B0DE384_zps

971CEB2F-D644-4BAA-821B-2DF4AA2C64C7_zps

I like your scape better now. More free space. You go up to 70% intensity? I have a 28G NC and my corals start to bleach at more than 50% intensity from what I have seen on my A160WE. Interesting. My corals are growing just fine. What's weird is that it affects my SPS more than any of my other corals(LPS and zoas).

michaelrzachmann

I like your scape better now. More free space. You go up to 70% intensity? I have a 28G NC and my corals start to bleach at more than 50% intensity from what I have seen on my A160WE. Interesting. My corals are growing just fine. What's weird is that it affects my SPS more than any of my other corals(LPS and zoas).

You cant go above 50%?! shit i feel like i have no clue at this point lol its mad hard to gauge getting it just right. Kessil told me to aim up to slowly maxing at 100% intensity lol what max spectrum you run too?

You cant go above 50%?! shit i feel like i have no clue at this point lol its mad hard to gauge getting it just right. Kessil told me to aim up to slowly maxing at 100% intensity lol what max spectrum you run too?

Yeah, my SPS were bleaching at 65%, so I lowered the intensity to 25%,which made my BTA start wondering around, so I went back to 50% to keep everything happy. You have to experiment to see what your animals like the best. My spectrum is currently at 25% since I like the fluorescent look of my corals. I do go to 100% intensity and 100% spectrum when I take pictures and videos though.

• 1 month later...
michaelrzachmann

Havent updated in a while so here it is. Cleaned the tank today and did a water change for the first time in a while. Really starting to believe that flow plays such a huge part in keeping nuisance algae down because i have barely touched this tank and it looks pretty good. Still nothing changed besides a few more zoa heads. Garf bonzai is encrusting more onto the rock but my monti still doesnt look as good as it once did. Light intensity been on 50% for about a month but still have no idea if that is too high or too little just chose it based on other experience who have had success with this light. Besides a few aiptasia popping up again and the monti's color i have been pretty happy with how the tank is runnning. Pics!

3FA6F432-50B9-4083-AB26-0D2B84353846_zps

F67077F6-ACD6-4034-9A9E-CA3D2A323550_zps

E19815BA-F0C1-4F27-9295-C1C0F5DA8B30_zps

D0649FD7-EE18-46DD-8215-F4C7686A9D34_zps

324438DD-84EE-4AF9-A69A-31CFB90BA43E_zps

E525E88A-655E-43B0-A341-D7F1A2AD43C8_zps

michaelrzachmann

Those look like happy clowns in their nem!

haha yeah it took them a while to host at all, then i noticed they were sleeping in it only hosting at night, then periodically they would go in during the day if they were scared or something and now they are always in it lol

michaelrzachmann

Took a quick video today. Nothing new besides some new candy cane heads, zoa polyps, and finally some growth again on the monti. Turned the kessil all the way down to 40% and the monti already seems to be coloring up better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

awesome dude the monte is looking better, good job man!

thanks brotha

Not much update besides ive had the kessil down to 35% for about 2 weeks and the corals look happy then ever. Starting to see some legitimate growth and color in the garf bonzai and monti now and the zoas are really starting to cover up the zoa rock

FTS

D004F736-4E59-4575-B22B-3DCA83F68923_zps

5141D2B7-71B6-4FE1-B856-57EE384A28C2_zps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
michaelrzachmann

Hello Nano'ers. I have had this tank up about two years and it has been a wonderful learning experience. A lot that i have learned was from on this site. I recently got a scholarship to go to grad school in the fall at NYU and will not be able to take my tank with me when i move out so I am trying to sell my tank on craigslist with everything and livestock together for $700. Obviously if anyone on here in the tri state area is interested they will get first dibs, but if not thanks for everything ill probably just start lurking again until life presents me with a better opportunity to start a newer and bigger reef tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that you had to sell your tank. Are you going to set up another one once you get all moved in at NYU, or will it just not be feasible? Good luck with school. You'll be back here before you know it with a new build thread :D

Bummer Mike, sorry you needed to sell the tank. I am sure you will be back some day however. Best of luck to you and God bless you.

michaelrzachmann

Sorry to hear that you had to sell your tank. Are you going to set up another one once you get all moved in at NYU, or will it just not be feasible? Good luck with school. You'll be back here before you know it with a new build thread :D

Bummer Mike, sorry you needed to sell the tank. I am sure you will be back some day however. Best of luck to you and God bless you.

It sucks but it's about priorities. I have still been lurking just as much... if not more lol and itching to get something going but i'll have to wait. It was a fun first system and the greatest part was really how much I learned with the tank and on here. Next system won't cut any corners and buying the best from the start. Thanks for the good luck wishes

Archived