Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mike's First Reef Tank (SOLD! 2/9/16)

michaelrzachmann

michaelrzachmann

My BTA has barely moved since placing here where I pretty much wanted her after 2 months.

cant ask for much more out of your BTA

Seasons greetings from my mini reef tonight

e6320827-caa0-4158-9653-a06840ae6c1f_zps

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michaelrzachmann

Yes I did. Thank you I need tons of luck.

hahaha i hear ya, its all part of the learning process, you can learn a lot on here. Much trial and error....and money

• 4 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

Nice setup!

Thanks a lot man, pretty happy with first set up. There are many things i would have done differently but i you live and you learn and that will be utilized in my second tank

Everything looks happy and growing! Good job.

thanks a lot man

Whattup people! havent updated in a whole because of this ugly ass GHA outbreak

photo2_zps8969a815.jpg

Everything is about the same besides zoas spreading, monti and birdsnest growing, and the removal of the GSP. The crazyness of the hollidays and lack of funds/water changes caused the GHA outbreak i believe. I manually removed most of the algae on the sandbed today and will try and kill off the rest with water changes. Hopefully posting some clean tank pics soon to show the growth. Dropped my mp10 :furious: and it sounds a little noising right now so hopefully its just placed differently and i can figure that back out. Tank already looks leagues better hope to post soon. Happy reefing!

If the GHA is stubborn a phosphate remover might help. I've had good luck just manually removing it though so I hope you do as well.

michaelrzachmann

If the GHA is stubborn a phosphate remover might help. I've had good luck just manually removing it though so I hope you do as well.

im running 6 tablespoons of GFO in a reactor lol so i was assuming it cant be my phosphates? i figured it had to be nitrates even though im running purigen i thought GFO took care of phosphate better than purigen on nitrates? I havent been able to find a really efficient way to keep down nitrates besides water changes which i slacked on lately is there really any? Maybe i should actually start testing for something again besides calclium lol

michaelrzachmann

also you think maybe im running my lights too long? i run them from 11 am till 9 pm. My schedule is always crazy and different times with school, work, and interning so i like to be able to see my tank lit up lmao

Yes, that is a pretty long photo phase, especially if they are in a daylight mode that whole time. My reef runs actinic from noon til 9 pm but the daylight mode only runs 2 pm - 7 pm.

My old 46 gallon went through this phase, it lasted a month or so, then stopped. I was removing chunks of sand that were filled with algae for a while there. Still not sure why it stopped because if anything I started to feed more heavily. I would like to say heavy feeding allowed me to achieve balance quicker but I really have no idea.

michaelrzachmann

after one waterchange, RBTA already looking a lot healthier. Going to do another water change tomorrow and then get back to weekly changes to hopefully get the rest of the GHA to chill out

michaelrzachmann

Good night from the reef....

photo3_zps2845f84a.jpg

The GHA is relatively under control... The RBTA is looking so much better since getting back on top of the water changes. Going to do another water change tomorrow followed with some daytime pics either tomorrow or the day after. Thought the reef looked great tonight so took some pics to show growth which will follow. Picked up a bicolor blenny today, such a cool ass fish, love the behavior of this thing and if he is lookin for some GHA to munch on there certainly is some. Not a fan of having more than 3 fish in this size tank and think of trying to get that wrassehole out somehow and trade him back to the LFS. I am goin to either make a DIY fishtrap or buy because this guy is way too fast and there is way too much live rock (that i am not willing to move with all the coral on in) so i will either try and catch him in the coming days or just leave it at 4 fish i guess.

Zoa branch

photo55_zps4213d221.jpg

Acro growth

image63_zps8d421d6b2_zps95805517.jpeg

photo311_zps8ffbd5d7.jpg

Monti Growth

image20_zpse311c6b62_zps486133f9.jpeg

photo48_zps77bb6f64.jpg

Birdsnest growth

image64_zpsf2254b6e2_zpsa2bb133a.jpeg

photo212_zpse08fbc4e.jpg

michaelrzachmann

Photo Update: Couldnt get a pic of the sly new bicolor blenny, but here is how things are looking atm with semi-reduced GHA

photo32_zps33c9b25c.jpg

photo22_zpsa5a62b17.jpg

photo12_zpsd6fba4e4.jpg

photo4_zpsf7d283c0.jpg

photo3_zps7114894e.jpg

photo1_zps8f258a28.jpg

photo41_zps27136251.jpg

photo2_zpsf3c6ad38.jpg

photo51_zps714abd63.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

:blush:

photo%201%203_zpschm3l466.jpg

Sorry havent been updating much lately, the tank has not been at its best. After the GHA breakout now i have been battled awful surface skum that comes back the next day after surface skimmer with a water bottle after water changes. My green birdsnest that was growing and looking great started to bleach pretty bad and i think i all about lost it, also the hydnophora that was nice and fat is losing a lot of tissue, finally my monti is still looking okay but not growing anymore and lost some color. Nothing has changed in the tank and paramters seem to be in check so im not really sure why the sudden loses. I finally canned that piece of shit Sera (i think basically same as aqua eruo usa skimmer) because it did absolutley nothing no matter what i did. While i was at the LFS today, the guy told me the only nano skimmers he sold were the aqua c remoras because he claimed those are the only ones that realy do anything and he swears by them. I remember when looking for a new skimmer a while back that one had great reviews but i could not find any nano skimmers that would fit in the back of Sera 16 gallon cube. Fed up i decided to buy it and see if i could Mcgiver this thing onto my tank. After hours of ####ing with my tank and breaking plastic off the hood and back i got it to fit. I hopefully my future review is as good as everyone else's i was told it would probably need to break in for about a week. This thing is noisier than expected will this change? Here are some pics of the mcgivering

photo%203%203_zpsb9r2imga.jpg

photo%202%203_zpsg8iqati1.jpg

and the dying birdsnest :unsure: still got a chance?

photo%204%202_zpszxo2q7yj.jpg

Not very please with FTS

photo%205%202_zpslavyutzg.jpg

michaelrzachmann

Looking for some advice... My tank is now current running about 82-83 degree and its winter. Im guessing it is from the heat of the pumps. I can not get a chiller and I am thinking that 3 water pumps (Return, skimmer, and reactor) along with the mp10 are just too much for a 16 gallon tank. I am thinking about taking the reactor off line and just running a bag of chemipure blue or something in the back chamber. If i can get the new skimmer dialed in along with filter floss and chemi pure blue and weekly water changes should this be enough and worth dropping the temperature maybe a few degrees? Thanks

What is your house temperature? Higher temps are worse for corals than lower ones. I wouldn't think you would need a chiller with such a small tank if you can keep the ambient temperature at the right degrees. Keeping the hood on will also lead to increased temperature so if you could get some good ventilation of cool air going in there it may help get the temperature down.

Looks like your heat is coming from your lights since the hood traps the warmer air coming off the light. Maybe finding a way to raise the hood off the tank some will help and mounting a small fan to blow on water surface if raising the hood alone don't do the trick.

Looking for some advice... My tank is now current running about 82-83 degree and its winter. Im guessing it is from the heat of the pumps. I can not get a chiller and I am thinking that 3 water pumps (Return, skimmer, and reactor) along with the mp10 are just too much for a 16 gallon tank. I am thinking about taking the reactor off line and just running a bag of chemipure blue or something in the back chamber. If i can get the new skimmer dialed in along with filter floss and chemi pure blue and weekly water changes should this be enough and worth dropping the temperature maybe a few degrees? Thanks

MP 10 does not add any heat, that's the beauty of the motor being outside the tank.

Air movement can cool water fast. Try blowing a fan across the top of the aquarium hood and see if it makes any difference, you might be surprised. If it doesn't then you'll have to figure out how to open the top more to allow the heat to escape.

michaelrzachmann

Looks like your heat is coming from your lights since the hood traps the warmer air coming off the light. Maybe finding a way to raise the hood off the tank some will help and mounting a small fan to blow on water surface if raising the hood alone don't do the trick.

MP 10 does not add any heat, that's the beauty of the motor being outside the tank.

Air movement can cool water fast. Try blowing a fan across the top of the aquarium hood and see if it makes any difference, you might be surprised. If it doesn't then you'll have to figure out how to open the top more to allow the heat to escape.

What is your house temperature? Higher temps are worse for corals than lower ones. I wouldn't think you would need a chiller with such a small tank if you can keep the ambient temperature at the right degrees. Keeping the hood on will also lead to increased temperature so if you could get some good ventilation of cool air going in there it may help get the temperature down.

My house in the winter is about 68 and that definitely is not going to be any lower than that. My tank has been at 82 a long time with corals growing fine i am just nervous about the summer. I really not want to the hood off or raise it if i can avoid it, noone thinks that it has anything to do with the three pumps running? I was thinking about shutting off the reactor for a couple of hours to see if that drops it and then maybe if it does i can take that off and hopefully if the skimmer skims well i wont need?

My house in the winter is about 68 and that definitely is not going to be any lower than that. My tank has been at 82 a long time with corals growing fine i am just nervous about the summer. I really not want to the hood off or raise it if i can avoid it, noone thinks that it has anything to do with the three pumps running? I was thinking about shutting off the reactor for a couple of hours to see if that drops it and then maybe if it does i can take that off and hopefully if the skimmer skims well i wont need?

I'm thinking its more because the heat from your lights is being trapped by the hood if you do not have good air circulation going in there. Although the pumps are contributing somewhat I do not think they would be the major factor. If you could just get a 120mm PC fan circulating air into the space between the hood and the water I believe you could lower the water temperature by a few degrees. Evaporation is a powerful way to cool water plus you will be pulling out the heat that is being trapped.

Archived