Top Shelf Aquatics

Kirby's 20 gallon long (picture heavy)

kirbaay

Great journal Kirby. As others have mentioned your photos are excellent quality. You really have a great eye for aquascapes this 20 gallon reef, and your discus tank both look great. What kind of sand are you using? It almost looks like indo pacific, or just white sand with something added to the top.

How is the SPS doing? Also, what size and how often do you water change? One last question are you dosing anything like 2 part, or feeding the corals phyto or anything else?

Thanks again Chris you always have something nice to say about my tanks :D haha and i believe it is info pacific sand. i don't know for sure because i got it from a friend and didn't ask questions. the SPS are doing great actually polyp extension its good. for water changes i just change like 2-3 gallons every couple weeks if that sometimes once a month, depends how dirty my tank looks. i honestly should do it more often probably but my nitrate levels are fine, so i am not worried. i put one drop of iodine in my tank once a week. i do feed them mysis shrimp and phyto feast at least once a week or sometimes twice, which seems to help. most of the time if i just leave it alone it grows

Update on the tank i just made the move from huntsville to college station. everything survived! that was my first time ever moving a saltwater tank... and i never want to do it again haha but i am going to have to in a couple months when i move back... Any ways here are some pictures of the moving process.

4gGMD1l.jpg

dqp2iAD.jpg

fjMik2R.jpg

K8p3XTb.jpg

lSyiCC7.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hockeyhead019

Hope everything survives the move!! How are those lights working for growth? They're immensly cheaper than any of the other lighting fixtures that I've seen lol mostly concerned about softy growth

Your tank is beautiful you definitely have a great eye for coral placement and color

Hope everything survives the move!! How are those lights working for growth? They're immensly cheaper than any of the other lighting fixtures that I've seen lol mostly concerned about softy growth

Your tank is beautiful you definitely have a great eye for coral placement and color

Only thing that died from the move was my beautiful porcelain crab :( i loved that guy he was so fun to watch.

The lights are that bad everything is growing nicely now that my tank is established. i dont really have any other lights to compare them to though... im gonna buy these lights soon though. And thank you! my coral placement is actually based off the flow in my tank and what will not sting each other haha but thanks!!

How are things post move?

i have been meaning to post an update! sadly one of my platinum clowns died from being bullied by my other clowns. the day i saw him he was a live and well with no marks on his body from any bites and then when i got home from work i found him stuck to the intake of my filter... i dont know what happened. fortunately the good looking clown survived and paired up with the Picasso clown.

here are some updated pictures of my tank

14275476294_e394bd3701_z.jpg

14089269878_4a19e8c022_z.jpg

14089284769_03208cfa0d_z.jpg

Current FTS (5/26/14) the pom pom xenia really took off since my last post. On saturday i will be trading it for a nice sized galaxea coral!

14275939125_b978dfed85_z.jpg

kirbaay why the move to new lights? Just out of curiosity lol

i want a light thats able to dim on its own and also i want full spectrum. the light i have now is a clip on light that i connected to a piece of wood i just dont really like it. i am really limited to where i can place it...

I made a quick video on my tank hope you guys will enjoy :)

http://vimeo.com/96558036

Chris Noto

Love the video, Kirby! You have sure done a lot with a 20 Long! Thanks for your journal.

P.S. If you're thinking of new lighting, take a look at BuildMyLED.com. They're a pretty together outfit.

I just came across you thread. Its beautiful :happy: I also really love the video as well, great job with that. This is such a wonderful, diverse tank. I'll be following along

hockeyhead019

Kirby how do you maintain temp in the tank? Checked the equipment list and didn't see any mention of heater type (sorry if I missed it lol)

Love the video, Kirby! You have sure done a lot with a 20 Long! Thanks for your journal.

P.S. If you're thinking of new lighting, take a look at BuildMyLED.com. They're a pretty together outfit.

Thanks! i do have a lot in this tank and i plan on adding some more! i am getting rid of all the pom pom xenia tomorrow so that will open up a lot of space! i might tank a few rocks out as well not sure yet. i have looked at build my led before i don't really see many people using them on their tanks nowadays. i know that they are a good brand though just not 100% sure on what i want to buy next! i did just get a $800 paycheck today soo we shall see :)

I just came across you thread. Its beautiful :happy: I also really love the video as well, great job with that. This is such a wonderful, diverse tank. I'll be following along

Thank you! i will be making some new updates towards the tank tomorrow making a fish store run :)

Kirby how do you maintain temp in the tank? Checked the equipment list and didn't see any mention of heater type (sorry if I missed it lol)

i have two 50 watt heaters i bought from walmart because it was the only ones small enough to fit into my AC110. i guess i forgot to add it to the list thanks for pointing that out!

hockeyhead019

Ok cool, I'm planning on having a very similar set up to your tank and just trying to collect as much info as I can about people with like setups lol

Ok cool, I'm planning on having a very similar set up to your tank and just trying to collect as much info as I can about people with like setups lol

ohh okay! if i could go back i wouldnt of gotten the AC110 ya it works but it puts a really awkward flow in the tank. i would of much rather done a overflow with a 10 gallon sump

well i bought four more corals yesterday and traded all of my pom pom xenia. basically i traded my xenia for this nice piece of galaxea which i thought was more than a fair trade. i also got lucky and got a bicolor frogspawn!! also added to my collection of acans, then i got a free frag of goniopora

and some sad news i lost two clown fish this week! :( my picasso clown just randomly died, i dont get why they died. i just found them dead on the bottom of my tank. i will say that my picasso clown has never been that healthy since the day i got him and always was breathing hard.. Any ways here are some pictures of the corals i got!!

14321725772_c5ccbebf97_z.jpg

14320167201_da10119602_z.jpg

14136994427_ae282e1dbf_z.jpg

The only clownfish left in my tank :(

14136843929_a396b58272_z.jpg

Current Full Tank Shot

14320157921_68dc1946c5_z.jpg

14343691673_f1c98471e8_z.jpg

14322840394_0b3c5bc9ea_z.jpg

14137184547_8f706943c8_z.jpg

14343708153_15802800cb_z.jpg

14136872839_60284f4400_z.jpg

14136882899_8c63ce04f4_z.jpg

14321752122_f87f59b7af_z.jpg

Roshan8768

Looks better with the xenia forest gone man, it was starting to distract from all the other nice corals in your tank. I just started my pico back up, so I might be hitting you up for frags later this summer

It looks like you don't have enough light to support the zooxanthella on your corals. My guess is they expand very large to try and absorb light, but don't absorb enough and slowly melt away. This could cause harmful levels of toxin in your tank which can kill your fish pretty quick, or burn there gills. I would invest in a good light before buying anymore corals.

hockeyhead019

ohh okay! if i could go back i wouldnt of gotten the AC110 ya it works but it puts a really awkward flow in the tank. i would of much rather done a overflow with a 10 gallon sump

Yea I want to avoid doing a sump just for space reasons, so the plan was to go with a low tech tank with an AC 110. Do you have the full flow going in the AC 110? Or have you replaced/trimmed the impeller?

Sorry to hear about the clowns but the new corals look fantastic!!

Looks better with the xenia forest gone man, it was starting to distract from all the other nice corals in your tank. I just started my pico back up, so I might be hitting you up for frags later this summer

I agree!! It was just growing to fast and covering some of my corals from getting light, so I decided to get rid of it. And ya man let me know what you would want I don't have to much to frag but we could probably work something out.

It looks like you don't have enough light to support the zooxanthella on your corals. My guess is they expand very large to try and absorb light, but don't absorb enough and slowly melt away. This could cause harmful levels of toxin in your tank which can kill your fish pretty quick, or burn there gills. I would invest in a good light before buying anymore corals.

Hmm my corals all look great to me and you are the first person who has ever said this to me and countless people have seen my tank on the internet not including this forum. But I am getting a new light in the next couple of days that will be a bit brighter. The only coral I have that expands a lot would be my mushrooms in the corner of my tank but that's because it's a mushroom and those don't need that much light so I am not worried. Thanks for the concern though.

Yea I want to avoid doing a sump just for space reasons, so the plan was to go with a low tech tank with an AC 110. Do you have the full flow going in the AC 110? Or have you replaced/trimmed the impeller?

Sorry to hear about the clowns but the new corals look fantastic!!

I have it at half speed actually. And thanks I really like the new corals also!

Ya, what I noticed while looking back at it is that those are corals you just added, so I am guessing it was the previous person. How the corals have lost tissue at the base of the structure. The acan, frogspawn, goniopora, and the duncan don't look very colorful.

hockeyhead019

Ya, what I noticed while looking back at it is that those are corals you just added, so I am guessing it was the previous person. How the corals have lost tissue at the base of the structure. The acan, frogspawn, goniopora, and the duncan don't look very colorful.

Might have just been from the store/previous owner... I've had a couple corals (mostly acan) that have looked like that which I've gotten from various places

Oh ya give them some time in my tank I'm sure they will look good in a couple weeks. And my fiend just cut and fragged that acan a day before I got it, so it just needs some time to heal :) I have been out of town for two days I can't wait to get back home and look at how my corals are doing!

Well i added a Emerald Crab today to help the clean up crew since i lost my Porcelain Crab on my last move. Corals are looking better than ever today i snapped some pictures enjoy :D

Ypdq7Gm.png

14352977691_6d5f6dac89_z.jpg

14169819427_9423db3437_c.jpg

14376541393_f1009b21dd_c.jpg

14376539003_ff86580285_c.jpg

14376481233_f4e5696124_c.jpg

14356314925_fff2de7079_c.jpg

14355447144_8f93844d2c_c.jpg

14169832807_96a13b2df3_c.jpg

14169693188_60f95670e3_c.jpg

14352998581_7e3644cb5d_c.jpg

14354790772_690807efaf_c.jpg

14354795212_33227cd391_c.jpg

14169648899_b2302c2a60_c.jpg

14355461464_90b482aa68_c.jpg

14169852367_5674c0fb6f_c.jpg

14169674009_3ba4767d3f_c.jpg

14169716318_df7afd6cfa_c.jpg

14354805372_0b5410b3b0_c.jpg

14376535193_3bdf9e98c6_c.jpg

14169695869_ee67a3ccdc_c.jpg

Omfg.... That Garf Bonsai (i think)..... Them pics!.... I love it! :D

Yup you got it right! and thanks! :)

hockeyhead019

Kirbaay what kind of camera do you use to take the pics? They're always awesome looking!!

Archived