• Green Stripe Mushrooms
  • Rainbow Acan
  • Incredible Hulk Acan
  • Orage Frost Acan
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Bubble Coral
  • War Coral
  • Green Palys
  • 5 different zoas dont know the names..
  • Pom Pom Xenia
  • Kenya Tree
  • Green Leather coral
  • Bicolor Frogspawn
  • Chalice
  • Duncans
  • Orange Plate Coral
  • Green Plate Coral
  • Green Candy Cane
  • Purple Candy Cane
  • 3 different Goniopora

Short video of my tank

https://vimeo.com/102420599

Current full tank shot 9-6-14

14973389267_6a682d1579_b.jpg

View all the pictures of my tanks progression down below

My first reef tank started as a 6 gallon fluval edge with the top cut off. Beware its UGLY

October 14th, 2013

YapTsSx.jpg

October 15th, 2013

LH8XKvE.jpg

The misbar clown i got but sadly lost him because he jumped out of my tank :( such a pretty clown.

OPpYQzE.jpg

October 21st, 2013

8OKngnZ.jpg

November 15th, 2013

iCeM79d.jpg

December 13th, 2013

vGOwvWr.jpg

November 22, 2013 The cycling began for my 20 gallon long

WO2azP1.jpg

January 15th, 2014

TBZqgDN.jpg

January 24th, 2014

sNJzADg.jpg

February 25th, 2014

ptWZc7g.jpg

March 14th, 2014

WeKQu6u.jpg

March 24th, 2014

jV086Tg.jpg

April 8th, 2014

qjeEmyY.jpg

April 13th, 2014 zoa rock location change and clown started housting the hammer head

udsspzp.jpg

May 7th, 2014

13952312658_253419328f_z.jpg

13949084308_b1b8024dd3_z.jpg

May 24th, 2014

14275939125_b978dfed85_b.jpg

June 1st, 2014

14320157921_68dc1946c5_b.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great man! That xenia's really taking off for you

Thanks man it is actually starting to take over my tank i need to frag it! haha

Well bad news my snow flake clown got caught in my power head over night... his tail didnt get the best of it..

OXssUqj.jpg

When i went to the store to grab some supplies for my QT tank to help heal him i couldnt pass up on two Platinum clowns for $55!

248xI6u.jpg

After i had gotten back from the store my snowflake clown was still alive but no more than 30 mins after i was home this happend!!

GL7BUaN.jpg

Idk why this happened :( my guess is because he was injured still a sad day..

Any ways here is a full tank shot at the moment. you can see i also had gotten a Picasso clown fish two weeks ago

FTCJJHZ.jpg

Update on my tank i decided to finally use my real camera for pictures instead of my shitty phone.

I got 4 new corals this week for $15 which is a steal!

the corals i got were a RBTA, 6 head pink candycane, Green leather, frogspawn, 3 mushrooms.

Here are some random pictures i took of my tank yesterday

14135618331_7e0515ea17_z.jpg

14159026523_90ba384ba3_z.jpg

14138976605_2c2e4f3257_z.jpg

14139203884_80ff4dca8c_z.jpg

13952316749_79b1cdf824_z.jpg

14159065243_6258c9b854_z.jpg

13952326447_e128de5087_z.jpg

14115838406_b7276c8fb5_z.jpg

14139274734_bfa9f26e07_z.jpg

These zoanthids really took off they all started from one polyp frags

13952408879_8314836e94_z.jpg

Unfortunately this RBTA is bleached.. i got it for $10 so i am not complaining i just hope he will return to red

14136167772_4cf2233059_z.jpg

13952470170_d4b40ac35c_z.jpg

14139143325_c8c6d5b6a0_z.jpg

14159227503_11b714ba4b_z.jpg

13952502959_9820bc595c_z.jpg

14135718465_423b4516ef_z.jpg

13949112668_38fb23a550_z.jpg

13949047687_49aca4c5e2_z.jpg

14132782702_f4726bed21_z.jpg

14132416781_4c0e70e9e0_z.jpg

New Platinum clown hungry as always

13949132878_156f12b07a_z.jpg

My Picasso Clown is starting to grow on my i didnt really like him at first. i was expecting them to be more exciting with their stripes..

13951689898_7c6c7ffebe_z.jpg

My clown fish killer looking nice as always

14135396142_9f29a169b6_z.jpg

This Rainbow acan has 5 new heads i am excited, there is three more on the other side.

14135426752_c3e331e16e_z.jpg13951766948_bdde987513_z.jpg

Started with a half dead frag with these palys finally found a good spot in my tank for it. i have really seen some growth this past month.

14138451895_7733019a7a_z.jpg

Current FTS (5/8/14)

13949084308_b1b8024dd3_z.jpg

Actinic Full tank shot

13952312658_253419328f_z.jpg

I would love to have some feedback on my tank! i have only had one person comment on my thread so far i just feel like i am talking to my self... i guess you have to make your self known on these forums

Not much to say...its beautiful.

Don't take it too much to heart, half the time I am just journaling on my tank with no comments. There is the "in" crowd I guess and then there are those of us who are innocent.

It really is great, I like the clowns. Do you have a wavemaker? Just wondering if your two koralias are doing okay with flow or if you feel like it is too directional for LPS.

Ooh also, ever thought about more charismatic inverts? A lot on here think a coral reef is only coral, but that's like says trees are a forest (really it would be just a bunch of trees without the ecosystem).

Not much to say...its beautiful.

Don't take it too much to heart, half the time I am just journaling on my tank with no comments. There is the "in" crowd I guess and then there are those of us who are innocent.

It really is great, I like the clowns. Do you have a wavemaker? Just wondering if your two koralias are doing okay with flow or if you feel like it is too directional for LPS.

Ooh also, ever thought about more charismatic inverts? A lot on here think a coral reef is only coral, but that's like says trees are a forest (really it would be just a bunch of trees without the ecosystem).

Hello! thanks and i figured thats really how every forum is haha.

i did have a wavemaker on the powerheads that just turned them off and on every 30seconds i didnt really like it and decided to try leaving them both on all the time. My corals actually like it more, it is perfectly balanced to hit only the corals that need a good flow everything else is calm. my hammerheads get the most flow for the LPS but they dont seem to mind it i have had it like this for the past two weeks, and i am seeing better results so i am going to keep it this way most likely. unless someone wants to give me a MP10 hahah

Charismatic inverts? well i do have a porcelain crab thats fun to watch and my peppermint shrimp just hides in a cave.... any other suggestions?

TheKleinReef

The tank looks awesome! You took some really nice pics as well. And don't worry if you're not getting much feedback, it'll come in time. Just pop in and out of people's threads and you'll find your niche crowd here just like anywhere :)

Like I said, looks great! Can't wait to see more!

Hey if the flow works, don't change it. Inverts can be tricky on mainland I hear, depends what ends up in LFS I guess. Just don't be afraid to try crazy critters. Lots on here avoid things that are risky, but honestly coral regenerate quite quickly and as long as you didn't outright buy a crown of thorns you should be fine. My personal favorites are urchins and cucumbers, but it doesn't look like your tank gets enough algae for them or debri. Maybe some micro brittle stars, they can be quite hilarious once the population really starts growing, no impact if they die and you can pretty much feed carelessly cause they eat anything that hits the sand or rocks. Feather dusters or even micro feather dusters are very elegant. Or maybe a comical red linckia starfish? Really whatever seems fun to you, just think about where they fit into your tank ecosytem.

The tank looks awesome! You took some really nice pics as well. And don't worry if you're not getting much feedback, it'll come in time. Just pop in and out of people's threads and you'll find your niche crowd here just like anywhere :) Like I said, looks great! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!! i am actually a photography major at Sam Houston State University ( 40 miles north of Houston ) i put my tank journal in my signature now soo maybe more people will click on it! and i know i need to make my way around the forums.

Hey if the flow works, don't change it. Inverts can be tricky on mainland I hear, depends what ends up in LFS I guess. Just don't be afraid to try crazy critters. Lots on here avoid things that are risky, but honestly coral regenerate quite quickly and as long as you didn't outright buy a crown of thorns you should be fine. My personal favorites are urchins and cucumbers, but it doesn't look like your tank gets enough algae for them or debri. Maybe some micro brittle stars, they can be quite hilarious once the population really starts growing, no impact if they die and you can pretty much feed carelessly cause they eat anything that hits the sand or rocks. Feather dusters or even micro feather dusters are very elegant. Or maybe a comical red linckia starfish? Really whatever seems fun to you, just think about where they fit into your tank ecosytem.

i actually have a few micro bristle star fish i think here is a picture.

Tm7CtVVh.jpg

I also have a few very small feather dusters that are on a few rocks but nothing noticeable yet.

A starfish would be awesome i just feel like my tank might be to small for some of them..

Nice brittle star, but that is likely a 6-arm brittle. While funny, it will likely not come out rock very often or reproduce as rapidly. The white micro brittles will move all around tank cleaning up debris and leftovers. They reproduces so fast because they are short cycle brooders, meaning they pop out babies in a short period of time with no larvae or eggs released.

Like I said think crazy! Find a starfish that is around 2-3 inches or smaller and you would be fine for quite some time. You could just sell or even give to a friend with bigger tank once it gets too large. Just have to feed it seaweed strips or pellets (depends on star).

Nice brittle star, but that is likely a 6-arm brittle. While funny, it will likely not come out rock very often or reproduce as rapidly. The white micro brittles will move all around tank cleaning up debris and leftovers. They reproduces so fast because they are short cycle brooders, meaning they pop out babies in a short period of time with no larvae or eggs released.

Like I said think crazy! Find a starfish that is around 2-3 inches or smaller and you would be fine for quite some time. You could just sell or even give to a friend with bigger tank once it gets too large. Just have to feed it seaweed strips or pellets (depends on star).

i also have those small star fish i forgot the names of them but they do reporoduce asexually like you were just talking about.

Roshan8768

i also have those small star fish i forgot the names of them but they do reporoduce asexually like you were just talking about.

You are probably thinking of the asterinas.

Also, sweet deal on those corals... hit me up if you ever want to trade frags once they start growing for you. The nem is in decent shape, but you need to feed it small portions of the freshest seafood you can get 2-3 times a week until it regains its coloration.

You are probably thinking of the asterinas. Also, sweet deal on those corals... hit me up if you ever want to trade frags once they start growing for you. The nem is in decent shape, but you need to feed it small portions of the freshest seafood you can get 2-3 times a week until it regains its coloration.

Yup thats the name! i will actually be in college station this summer i am bringing my tank up there by next week. and i feed it a small piece of frozen shrimp two days ago i probably will again today.

Very nice tank. Could you give a link to the light?

thanks and this is not the same exact one i have because mine are 5watts each

Light Link

i mean the light works and all but honestly i want something different thats full spectrum

I had some extra photos i forgot to upload including 3 of my old snowflake clown 'White Tiger'

13959686267_0776db8061_z.jpg

14146373045_1176445cae_z.jpg

13959710019_8532f3795e_z.jpg

13959708967_e08418114f_z.jpg

13959719267_a6b83d6f8e_z.jpg

13959780610_0f3e6f000c_z.jpg

Side Tank shot of my mushroom garden

14146545534_13834a9219_z.jpg

You are probably thinking of the asterinas. Also, sweet deal on those corals... hit me up if you ever want to trade frags once they start growing for you. The nem is in decent shape, but you need to feed it small portions of the freshest seafood you can get 2-3 times a week until it regains its coloration.

Yeah I wasn't talking about asterinas, but white micro brittle stars. You can probably search them pretty easy online or check out Indo-pacific aqua farms.

Yeah I wasn't talking about asterinas, but white micro brittle stars. You can probably search them pretty easy online or check out Indo-pacific aqua farms.

cool will do!

Hi Kirbaay, nice tank, I enjoyed looking at all the pics. Following along now. :)

Hello! thanks for following :)

Looking good.

appreciate it!

Looking at your tank really makes me wish I had just gotten something larger than my 5 gallon... It's gorgeous. I'm definitely going long (probably 20 gallons haha) on my next tank. I love all the swimming room for your fish. You have so many corals too, yet so much room. Very pleasing to the eye. I hope your SPS fairs well this time around!

Your camera takes great photos. I look forward to seeing more!

I would love to have some feedback on my tank! i have only had one person comment on my thread so far i just feel like i am talking to my self... i guess you have to make your self known on these forums

ELE: Everybody Love Everbody :grouphug:

What camera and lens do you use to take pics? And under what settings usually? I'm still tinkering and would love to have your input. :D

Canon 7D, 100mm 2.8 for all the macro shots. Also sometimes my 50mm 1.2 and tokina 11-16mm 2.8. The trick is to use a high appature like 9.0 soo your ISO can be like 1600, and then shutter speed around 120. Also I use Adobe Lightroom to really help bring out the natural colors. Because the camera actually makes it look ugly.

Looking at your tank really makes me wish I had just gotten something larger than my 5 gallon... It's gorgeous. I'm definitely going long (probably 20 gallons haha) on my next tank. I love all the swimming room for your fish. You have so many corals too, yet so much room. Very pleasing to the eye. I hope your SPS fairs well this time around!

Your camera takes great photos. I look forward to seeing more!

ELE: Everybody Love Everbody :grouphug:

Thanks man! This tank has really been a project for me these past couple of months. Honestly I want a bigger tank already hopefully soon I will be upgrading to a 100 gallon 36x36x18. I am running out of room and want more corals and fish! 20 long is a good size I like the length and the shallowness of it.

chrislewistx

Great journal Kirby. As others have mentioned your photos are excellent quality. You really have a great eye for aquascapes this 20 gallon reef, and your discus tank both look great. What kind of sand are you using? It almost looks like indo pacific, or just white sand with something added to the top.

How is the SPS doing? Also, what size and how often do you water change? One last question are you dosing anything like 2 part, or feeding the corals phyto or anything else?

Archived