Cultivated Reef

Vic's 30 Gallon Shallow Reef

Withers

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. I knew you would have a reef again. I KNEW IT.

And what's more is that it looks fantastic! You got some great looking live rock there, and I think your placement is perfect.

- -

About the shipping for the stand though... Did you notify Amazon about it? Because poor shipping is one thing; but slapping some saran wrap around the stand and attaching a 10x4 piece of cardboard to it is basically the equivalent of spitting on someones shoes. Essentially, the people who shipped that unit to you are implying that neither you nor your time are worthy of even a measly cardboard box. And on top of that, the stand was, according to your testimony, destroyed on nearly all of the corners as a direct result of the pathetic excuse for packing job.

I know for a fact that Amazon would be quick to issue some kind of reimbursement, especially if you have photographic evidence. They did for me when I was in this exact same situation some months ago.

Just a thought...

Thanks! Dave convinced me to get back into it when he showed me pics of his new lights :lol: It wasn't hard to convince me.

I probably should have demanded at least a partial refund but it was small cosmetic stuff. I knew I couldn't return it but I didn't even think about asking for a partial refund. I had an idea that shipping might be rough due to the one other review on amazon but I wasn't expecting that, ha.

Thanks! Dave convinced me to get back into it when he showed me pics of his new lights :lol: It wasn't hard to convince me.

I probably should have demanded at least a partial refund but it was small cosmetic stuff. I knew I couldn't return it but I didn't even think about asking for a partial refund. I had an idea that shipping might be rough due to the one other review on amazon but I wasn't expecting that, ha.

Honestly... I'm in the same damn boat! All these awesome LED fixtures and the amazing colors, and of course how incredibly cheap they are becoming compared to a couple years ago, are just making me itch to come back to reefs. Can't get back in just yet though...

Anyways... Expecting "rough shipping" is one thing, and I can understand where you're coming from. But the stand you received didn't even come in a ####ing box :mellow: . What kind of shit is that? Isn't a BOX the most fundamental aspect of "shipping"? I hope you at least left a shitty review for the seller, along with a few choice words just for the fun of it.

Oh for sure, scathing review. It's insane to not even bother packing it at all. Especially for a stand this nice. I probably should have sourced it through an LFS so they could deal with the shipping.

CatfishSoupFTW

wah i cant wait to see how this build progresses! i dig the tank, and the stand. I have read great reviews on the nanobox. Someone was making a 6 month review on it which I have been following. One dude had a 140/120 ratio? something like that.. let me see if I can find it...

here we go ! http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/346727-nanobox-duo-6-months-review/

also, for your white balance for photos, with adobe lightroom auto white balance it and it will come out properly white balance. Or do that, then just add some blue back into it with the tint slider it has. Easy peasy.

I use Lightroom to edit my photos :) I should post an example of what it thinks is the right white balance, it's hilarious. For whatever reason the blue channel makes the software go nuts, so I've been trying to find a better spectrum in the light itself so I don't have to manipulate the white balance so much in post. I'm almost there. I suspect I just need to make the channels match, something like 120/120.

It's my first time with an LED fixture and people weren't kidding when they said they're a pain for taking pictures.

CatfishSoupFTW

haha. try matching the kelvins then. olay around with it in camera and see what color temp works best. if lightroom fails via auto, try finding a white point (or 18 percent grey point) and click. that technically should work. Auto does fail at times but once you find out those magic numbers, you should be able to keep that up any other time you shoot.

As for shooting LED, I do agree. this is my first time owning an LED fixture and I was really surprised how off my iphone was on detecting its white balance. I havent shot with my DSLR yet, but I will be doing that soon. Curious how well my camera will do.

I have had the best luck with a super low ISO, custom white balance on the camera and shooting manually.

Corals soon?

-D

CatfishSoupFTW

I have had the best luck with a super low ISO, custom white balance on the camera and shooting manually.

Corals soon?

-D

Well that's the best way to shoot. XD. Usually my Mrk3 auto white balance does well. Hardly do I override it. Plus shooting raw I can always change it if it's too warm or cold.

• 1 month later...

Nothing crazy, but I needed something to test to make sure I'm ready for corals :)

14718120271_a9e9beb814_z.jpg

Zoanthids by jasonwithers, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/o9pVdU'>14535047480_aa66c68691_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/o9pVdU'>Zoanthids by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>jasonwithers, on Flickr

14718911864_824ae663d3_z.jpg

Mushroom by jasonwithers, on Flickr

First fish :D

14535052518_d28e3ce89f_z.jpg

Starry Blenny by jasonwithers, on Flickr

14534627120_a85b001540_z.jpg

Starry Blenny by jasonwithers, on Flickr

awesome pics! wish I saw this before, Just got the same tank and would have loved to have done a small overflow box instead of the huge corner it came with!

Thanks! Yeah I had the same thought. Thank god the glass wasn't tempered because I really don't like tanks with corner overflows.

Thanks!

It might be a while before I can get any decent pics of these zoanthids. I dialed the lights back to make sure I don't bleach them and that makes it tough to get decent photos.

jedimasterben

Best thing to do is just temporarily crank them up for pics. That's what I have to do to make sure that my light at least looks similar across two pictures taken at different times of day :)

Archived