17140499839_3c3a751c5e_b.jpg

17300783676_b432440918_b.jpg

17138947888_929cf67596_b.jpg

I'm really hoping this Setosa pulls through, it fell off its base in transit

17326340251_e251347b5c_b.jpg

And the cyphaestrea is still doing well, along with the zoanthids

17138963488_53ebd25658_b.jpg

17140499049_a10c9a9b24_b.jpg

I also got a hi-fin goby and pistol shrimp combo, but their hidey hole isn't in a good spot to take pictures of right now.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have a ####### tank?

lol yep. It's been up for over a year now

Nice pics,Zoas looks much better..what are you doing for this?

I changed a bunch of things.

1. Got my own RO/DI setup because the water I was using before had a significant amount of nitrates in it

2. Increased the light output from my nanoboxreef

3. Got a new skimmer

4. Lowered the temperature. My heater was way off, it had it at 82 but was showing it at 78.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff's coloring up but I'm starting to lose the maricultured acro from the bottom up. I guess lack of flow maybe?

17279471680_5b03a76aa8_b.jpg

IMG_9219 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

17467074325_455dbe1721_b.jpg

IMG_9286 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

17467075505_2d91fc8e49_b.jpg

IMG_9266 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

16844518454_bbc543afd6_b.jpg

IMG_9330 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

17279282488_bd2fa81422_b.jpg

IMG_9340 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

17441071076_6e705f016d_b.jpg

IMG_9367 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

17465022812_783056beaf_b.jpg

IMG_9388 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

17465228292_7c9a7d7477_o.jpg

Sexy Shrimp by Jason Withers, on Flickr

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels at? Usually bottom-up recession is from one or both of these being too low.

Your tank looks stunning, though! I'm jealous. What do you do for supplementing carbonate and calcium?

I'll be checking it tonight. It's water change night.

I guess I might need to move to water changes every 2 weeks after all if that's the case. This is the first maricultured coral I've tried so I just figured a bit of die off would be normal since the colony is so large and the conditions changed so much. I'm going to frag it a bit tonight in case things go south.

I'll be checking it tonight. It's water change night.

I guess I might need to move to water changes every 2 weeks after all if that's the case. This is the first maricultured coral I've tried so I just figured a bit of die off would be normal since the colony is so large and the conditions changed so much. I'm going to frag it a bit tonight in case things go south.

Good luck with the maricultured piece. I have tried a couple, both frags and mini/medium colonies with absolutely no luck. I can keep most aquacultured frags alive and colorful. Just the maricultured ones hate my tank. They do well, color up and have good PE for a couple weeks then start to loose tissue from the base up. Has happened the same way with every piece I have tried. The only thing I can think of is my tank is just too young and immature to support a wild cut piece like that. I have friends that have had more luck with them, from the same source, but their tanks are a great deal larger and have been running longer. I wish you luck, but I personally give up on maricultured and will be sticking to aquacultured. Buying from other hobbyists is always more fulfilling for me anyways.

waltersreef

Wow, beautiful tank... and looks even better with that great camera work. Close-up coral photos are amazing! Can you share details on the lens and settings used? Thanks!

Good luck with the maricultured piece. I have tried a couple, both frags and mini/medium colonies with absolutely no luck. I can keep most aquacultured frags alive and colorful. Just the maricultured ones hate my tank. They do well, color up and have good PE for a couple weeks then start to loose tissue from the base up. Has happened the same way with every piece I have tried. The only thing I can think of is my tank is just too young and immature to support a wild cut piece like that. I have friends that have had more luck with them, from the same source, but their tanks are a great deal larger and have been running longer. I wish you luck, but I personally give up on maricultured and will be sticking to aquacultured. Buying from other hobbyists is always more fulfilling for me anyways.

I suspect that will be the case here too, I just wanted to try one out because they're so cheap comparatively.

Wow, beautiful tank... and looks even better with that great camera work. Close-up coral photos are amazing! Can you share details on the lens and settings used? Thanks!

Thanks! I'm using a Canon 6D with a Sigma 150mm macro lens :) The exif data is filed with each picture on flickr, but depending on the angle/distance from subject I'll use an f/stop between f/2.8 and f/8 and an ISO that ranges pretty heavily depending on whether I'm hand holding the camera or using a tripod.

Nitrates were at 1ppt, I doubt that was the issue. Phosphates have always been 0 and I haven't had algae in this tank for months.

jedimasterben

Well, phosphate being zero is not good. I doubt it was truly zero, but it's definitely too low if it's below detection.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I always thought phosphates always measured 0 because any that were in the tank were taken up by algae?

jedimasterben

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I always thought phosphates always measured 0 because any that were in the tank were taken up by algae?

Not always. It takes a pretty significant amount of algal growth and an enormous amount of nitrate to keep phosphate low (loosely following the Redfield ratio, 106:16:1 carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus, so to use 1ppm of phophate would take 16ppm of nitrate). Phosphate test kits are pretty notorious for not being as accurate as we'd like in such low range as we're testing for, but while you should shoot for 'low' phosphate, higher numbers aren't necessarily detrimental, but stripping the water of it via efficient filtration can be.

• 2 months later...

I've added some new stuff :)

A rainbow mille that's mostly just green right now

19191700044_322943dfc5_c.jpg

Acropora Millepora by Jason Withers, on Flickr

And a bunch of stuff from Zia

Nice sized gorgonian

19191701034_edd111f2c6_c.jpg

Atlantic Gorgonian by Jason Withers, on Flickr

Tyree's Lemonade

19819137751_2f253c87f9_c.jpg

Acroprora "Tyree Pink Lemonade" by Jason Withers, on Flickr

Jedi Mind Trick monti

19819135051_4f54753c2c_c.jpg

Montipora capricornis by Jason Withers, on Flickr

Orange Cap

19627703379_d1037f20d9_c.jpg

Montipora capricornis by Jason Withers, on Flickr

What I assume is a tricolor

19193416113_6a8e5663f8_c.jpg

IMG_0634 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

Purple digitata

19814315565_4412823fd6_c.jpg

Montipora digitata by Jason Withers, on Flickr

And I'm not sure about these 3

19193416683_e91560aab2_c.jpg

IMG_0630 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

19806981932_143f26aa8d_c.jpg

IMG_0627 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

19814318575_de1416c684_c.jpg

IMG_0625 by Jason Withers, on Flickr

Also, something is eating my setosa and I am not a happy camper. My only guess is asterina starfish unless I have a gorilla crab that has evaded me for over a year and a half.

My rainbow monti also completely browned out, not sure what happened there. I had it under full lights.

New corals look great. I hope you catch whatever is munching on that setosa. Maybe hang out by the tank with a red flashlight for a bit. How are the fish doing? Thinking about a pistol shrimp for that goby?

There actually is a pistol shrimp in there, he came paired with it :) I can never seem to get a picture of it though

Shit I didn't even realize there was such a thing! I'll definitely be checking that out. Every time I try to get a FTS I'm never happy with it :(

Archived