Pod Your Reef

NanoBox Duo 6 months review

ninjamyst

I have had my NanoBox Duo over my 12.5 gallons 18x18x9 tank for 6+ months now. I want to post an updated review on how much I love the light. My original review can be found here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335355-nanobox-duo-review-its-awesome/

Pictures First =)

11863792445_26d16da392.jpg

12470437935_d811d6bbaf.jpg

14084558707_d321c1b2cc.jpg

14047322553_77d76842a4.jpg

14291294973_a8be7b86db.jpg

Specs
www.nanoboxreef.com
26 Phillips Rebel ES and SEMILED LED's
Warm white, neutral white, blue, royal blue, cyan and violet
Metal arm mounts
2 fans
Growth
My tank had a mini crash a month ago so things are not looking as hot as before. But I can tell you that prior to the crash, things were growing like crazy. Zoas were popping left and right. SPS were growing (although I had phosphate issues that made the color not so good).
Build Quality and Aesthetic
6 months later and the unit still looks new. The metal casing repels dust and is easy to wipe. On the underside, it's also easy to clean the water spots from the glass protecting the LEDs array. The metal arm mount has not failed me once. What I LOVE about it is the adjustability. I can easily move the light forward and backward. In addition, I can TILT the light so it angles toward the back where I had SPS before. I believe mine was one of the first metal arm mounts for the Duo and I am sure Dave has made improvements since.
LEDs
Everything I said in my original review still hold. I am now running more blues than whites to give my corals more pop. The Duo is a bit of an overkill for the dimensions of my tank. The LEDs are very powerful and I actually melted a few rics because I had the light too intense. Especially with a shallow tank, you have to be mindful of how much light is being outputted. I love going to my LFS and coming home with corals that look better in my tank than in theirs. When I take top-down shots, the colors are so vibrant that I have to tone the saturation down.
Controller
The controller can be a little confusing to figure out at first, but Dave is a great help and there's already a thread with fellow reefers sharing their settings. I like the micro adjustments you can make to the two channels.
Service
I can't say enough good things about Dave's customer service. I have since purchased another NanoBox Tide for my second tank. You get the personal attention / service of a small business with the quality of big companies. Win-Win.
CatfishSoupFTW

tank looks real nice. doesnt look like a 12 gallon at all. my ten gal too looks pretty large in a photo.

• 3 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Just installed my Duo and after 3 hours my Zoas are all open...all 20 heads and they haven't done that in weeks! And poppin color! What an amazing light.

I had them set at 180/140 but after reading your latest Ninja, I have reset them on your settings...don't want to risk a crash.

Thanks Dave

Just installed my Duo and after 3 hours my Zoas are all open...all 20 heads and they haven't done that in weeks! And poppin color! What an amazing light.

I had them set at 180/140 but after reading your latest Ninja, I have reset them on your settings...don't want to risk a crash.

Thanks Dave

yea, the Duo is crazy powerful. i am slowly increasing the light. i am at 115 blues, 80 whites right now.

edit, just saw your tank =). it's much higher than mine so i am sure you can go higher on your setting. looks AMAZING!

SquishyFishy

Thnx, I just ordered from Reef Gardner, Ultra blue sponge, some combo color Montipora cap and some Rics. I will be adjusting my settings probably daily for the next few days...we are sitting around watching the clouds and lightening..too cool!

Archived