ReefCleaners.org

The Salty Spitoon: Oceanus's Nuvo 16 SPS Adventure

Oceanus

I got back this afternoon and...no RTN/STN since before I left! I hope that I may be out of the woods for now (knock on wood). These BRS dosers are truly one of the best investments you can make on an SPS reef.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I awoke to find my Vortech on the ground, and my yellow coris gasping, leaning against the glass. I put my hand in to set the Vortech back and the wrasse darted into the sand on the other side of the tank. I hope he's alright.

My levels apparently sank over the last few days, so I need to get the dosers going for a longer period of time.

The wrasse is alive with no apparent physical damage. He is swimming. However, I think he is still severely freaked out because he's been hiding all day.

Unfortunately, I discovered some tiny (pinhead size) patches of STN on the acro today. With that said, they did not enlarge over the course of the day and they could very well have simply been there before and I didn't notice them.

Today I added a nice blue goniopora ($10!!) and 6 nass snails as I get the feeling 8 isn't enough.

:( The yellow coris wrasse passed on. R.I.P. That's the second fish the vortech has killed. I still don't know what really happened but there was no external damage on the wrasse. Sad day. I haven't been having much luck with the reef recently. Also, the stupid precipitation is back on the glass grrrrr.

No more fish in this tank. Also no more decorative inverts.

:( The yellow coris wrasse passed on. R.I.P. That's the second fish the vortech has killed. I still don't know what really happened but there was no external damage on the wrasse. Sad day. I haven't been having much luck with the reef recently. Also, the stupid precipitation is back on the glass grrrrr.

No more fish in this tank. Also no more decorative inverts.

Sorry to hear that! Did you have the protective mesh cover around the MP10, meaning he swam into straight on? Also, you say "there was no external damage on the wrasse" - are you certain it was the MP10? I'd think the MP10 would chop a fish up pretty good and there'd be tons of external damage. Just speculating on the culprit - again, sorry for the loss.

I don't have the mesh cover, as the wrasse is too big to swim into the side through the grilles anyways. I lost a sixline earlier to the MP10, he swam right in and died instantly. I don't think the yellow coris swam into the MP10 necessarily, but I found the MP10 wetside on the sand and the dry side fell on my floor, but was ok. The wrasse was on the sand leaning on the glass right next to the wetside.

I heard my cat derping around in the room that night and get the feeling he might have attacked the MP10 cord and made the whole thing fall, and unfortunately hitting the wrasse. That is really speculative though.

The wrasse did appear to have a bent spine on closer inspection.

Alright so I found my Reef Crystals WC water to be low in levels: 380ppm Ca and 6.1dKH. I Just bought some DD H2Ocean and mixed up a 4 gallon batch to change out tomorrow.

Also I made a moron mistake with my dosing. I was dosing Alk at 9 p.m. when pH is highest and Ca at 7 a.m. This was probably contributing to precipitation. I just switched the Alk to morning and Ca to afternoon. One of my Hydor pumps quit today and I took it apart to find a gigantic ball of precipitate with 2 dwarf ceriths stuck to the intake and the impeller was misaligned. This was because of precipitate. The pump works again now.

All the corals still seem to be alright, no further necrosis on that one acro.

Super excited! My LFS is getting in 100 new colonies of acropora on Monday!

More good news: since I changed the dosing procedure again I have no new precipitation!

Completed a 4 gallon WC with the new H2Ocean salt. Now running topless!

Hopefully will get some pictures this evening if I mange to scrape off the remaining pieces of CaCO3 that I've been to lazy to get. ;)

-Sidenote: the acro that has had the minor STN is just bewildering me. There were two new pinhead sizes pieces of STN this afternoon but previous sites of STN are coloring up? What gives? Also, no polyps have died, even on the STN corallites. Pretty sure it's not bleaching though...

I think I found a possible partial cause for that STN: aside from Alk and Ca stressing, the only areas that showed STN/RTN were the undersides of branches and the peice of the base that is completely shut off from direct light.

Been having a tough time getting the CaCO3 out of some spots...

The LFS got in some awesome acros! Maricultured from Indonesia, super nice colors and growth patters. I got a fresh cut frag of a sweet purple tipped bluish acro...it looks amazing!

Another positive note: my alk was 7.1 2 days ago, and is at 7.0 today. I will up the dosing by 2 or 3 minutes and it seems as though I'm clear of any future alk swings. My Ca was up to 300ppm 2 days ago, but is back down to 280pm today, so I really need to up that dosing for 5~6 minutes. Aside from that, the rest of the tank is doing well.

Archived